Radeon 6970 reference design temps

TwistedAegis

[H]F Junkie
So I recently OC'ed my MSI 6970 card, which has the reference cooler, not the amazing Twin Frozr unfortunately. A fairly modest OC, 900 / 1400. Even at this though the temps reach 80C. Stability is fine but at those temps I'm afraid to push it any higher.

Just wondering who of you out there are OC'ing the reference cooled 6970s and what temps you are seeing with stable OCs.

Im at 940/1450 in TriFire and Temps range from 68C to 80C under load so thats normal.

Im at 940/1450 in TriFire and Temps range from 68C to 80C under load so thats normal.

Interesting, reference cooling as well? I'm surprised that with the additional OC and 3 cards stacked up you aren't seeing higher temps.

Also, what motherboard are you using for tri-fire with the 2600k if you don't mind me asking?

Hi

I was asking myself the same question about HD 6970 temps.

I just bought a Sapphire HD 6970 rev 2 (blue PCB), on which I installed a Shaman cooler.

I overclocked the card to 950 / 1450 in CCC (stock voltage).

During a 20 min Kombustor stress test, the temps rise up till 85+ °C (and seem to keep on increasing)
While gaming, the temps rise up to 72 °C max (Crysis, 1200p, very high settings).

Are those temps ok given the setup (3rd party cooler) ? I feel like they're a bit high :-s
Is there something wrong ?

Off topic, is there a way to OC further ? Couldn't with either CCC, Trixx, Afterburner...

EDIT : FYI, ambiant temps are 25 / 26 °C

Temps seem fine to me. I've seen my unlocked 6950's up to 89c with no stability issues.

My Cards Come Factory Overclocked at 940, They are Powercolor 6970's. Im running a 2600K overclocked on Air @ 4.8 Ghz 24/7, Mobo is a Asus Maximus IV Extreme. I have a Fan blowing across all 3 cards from the Inside and One 120MM fan blowing directly in on top of them.

Hi,

My XFX Reference 6970s idle in the mid 50's and under load playing Deux Ex @5670x1080 eyfinity crossfire with max quality settings MLAA/AF16 I get each card reaching 90 Deg C!

Is that high?

Wow!

PS: Afterburner custom fan profile brings the temps down to mid 70's to low 80's but not without some considerable fan noise!

There are 2 games that get my 3 Cards in the 90's unless i enable Vysnc , The Witcher 2 and Metro. Im running a Asus Maximus mobo, 2600K @ 4800Mhz ( 1.32 volts ) I have 2 fans internal blowing across all 3 cards, 1 120MM fan blowing in on them and 1 80MM fan sucking Air out on the rear of the Case. One thing i found is that some games the FPS can jump in the high 200 to 300 + FPS which could overheat my setup after 15 or 20 minutes of gaming, I have found out its always best to crank the game as high as you can in terms of AA,AF find the sweetspot then if i have to then enable Vsync.

I read that there is an industry wide shortage of 6970s. Read about it either on techspot, pcper, or techreport. So if your thinking about xfire start saving up fast while supplies last!

Im going to Sell off my 6970's and go Tri-Fire with whatever AMD comes out with. I know it will be a waste of money but at least it will be fun :0

I've unlocked my 6970, overvolted it (Pot Vmod) and I'm running it at 1050mhz...

It hits 93c under full Furmark load with fans manually set to 45% (aka unbearable).

It's fully stable.

These cards are fine to hit 90c or so.

Back