Radeon 5970 + Radeon 5870 Crossfire Question

BS911

Limp Gawd
I'm currently using a Radeon 5970. I have my old 5870 sitting in the closet. Thinking about tossing it in my system for crossfire mode. I don't have any experience with Crossfire. Anything special I need to do, or should setup a certain way? Any negatives to putting this additional card in?

Thanks!

It should work just out of the box. Install the card, and one crossfire cable and you should be set.

Cool, thx. Any negatives to consider with doing this? Just want to make sure it's even worth doing.

from what i understand, your speed will be capped at the lowest card. which is the 5870. so the 5970 can only run as fast as the 5870.

look at bench marks, does two 5870 in cf run faster than a single 5970?

personally if you are just playing games 5970 should rock your world

A bit of a mixup there. The HD5970 is the slower partner, there's just two GPUs in it. The HD5870 will downclock to HD5970 speeds when you tun them together. Since you're already using the slower-clocked GPU, your performance can only increase when you add the 5870. You'll typically see something like a 40% gain. Make sure your PSU can handle it first though, I would recommend a minimum of a top-brand 750W modular unit (Corsair HX, Seasonic S12 etc), otherwise 800W+.

A bit of a mixup there. The HD5970 is the slower partner, there's just two GPUs in it. The HD5870 will downclock to HD5970 speeds when you tun them together. Since you're already using the slower-clocked GPU, your performance can only increase when you add the 5870. You'll typically see something like a 40% gain. Make sure your PSU can handle it first though, I would recommend a minimum of a top-brand 750W modular unit (Corsair HX, Seasonic S12 etc), otherwise 800W+.

This.

Thanks for the info. I tossed the other card in the system and everything is working well.

Back