• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Radeon 5870 Weird Issue

SoulWind

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
132
I'm having a weird issue with my Sapphire Radeon 5870 Vapor-X (100281VX-2SR) whenever I try to OC.

It normally idles at the desktop (w/Aero Enabled) at 400/1250, but as soon as I touch the GPU slider (in Catalyst Control Panel), whether it be to Over-Clock or to Under-Clock it drops to 157/300, and I begin to experience a "tearing" or "flicker" while at the desktop, every second or so.

There are no issues when I enter a game (so the card jumps back up to 875/1250)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
10.1 Cats w/Gray screen hot-fix (normal 10.1's did this too, haven't tried any older)

Anyone else had this problem, think it's a Sapphire bios issue?
 
Hmmm, kinda Wish I could see what you see so I can verify that this is the same issue I currently have with this exact same card . I just got one(two now) of these as well and get some weird scan/flicker when running a Winamp visualization or when refreshing my desktop, etc.

I have to admit this has been bugging the hell out of me too. I ordered another one a couple days ago and figured I'd use the new one while I RMA the one not working right. So this morning, I pop in the new 100281VX-2SR that just arrived and sure enough, it did the same exact thing but not as bad:confused:. But it's still there.

So when I discovered it did the same thing with both cards, I said to hell with it and hooked them both up and played some BC2. Now that, that worked flawlessly. High everything on 2560x1600 and frames were just flying.

Still bugs me though about this flicker thing. But now that I read your post(thank god), I am seeing the primary display's gpu clock in CCC is set to 240MHz / 1075MHz memory but that my other displays are at 157MHz/300MHz memory.


For a minute there, I was ready to send the both of these back and get this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161335

Would've been pissed after I did that and the new card did the same thing since it's the drivers that are the problem. So just to confirm, is this happening with all 5000 Series cards right now?

And thanks for posting this too.
 
So just to confirm, is this happening with all 5000 Series cards right now?
 
Back
Top