• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon 5770 for 1920x1080?

kjeldoran

Gawd
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
617
Hey all,

I currently have a Sapphire Vaporx 5770 @ 940/1300 running at 1680x1050. I play some shattered horizon, l4d2 and settlers 7. l4d2 and settlers run on max settings without any slow downs from what I can see. Shattered horizon...another story it is mostly on medium with some settings on low and I usually get a steady 40-50 fps (it is capped @ 60). Sometime in the next month or two I am going to build a system for my fiance since she plays l4d2 and is wanting a desktop. I am thinking of just parting with my system and building me a new one. In the process of this I am going to either get the NEC EA231WMi or the HP ZR22W. So, do you think that a 5770 would be able to handle most of these games at 1920x1080? Just curious as if not I could get a 5850 but it is a hundred dollar difference.

Current Specs:
Q9650 stock
4GB PC6400
Vaporx 5770
60GB OCZ Agility

Future Specs:
AMD 1090T
4GB or possibly 8GB(8GB depending on deals...)
5770 or 5850
60GB Agility

Also, I crunch so I am wanting the 2 extra cores available. I am not sure I want to go the i7 route so I am thinking of going with AMD's 6 core offering.

Thanks
 
I play at 1920x1200 with a 4890... which is about on-par with a 5770. It's more than fine for any of the games that have come out recently, even at 4x/16x and high quality settings.

The 5850 might be a bit more expensive but if you can afford it, then why deprive yourself of a superior gaming experience? Spend the money, buy it, and be happy. Buy it for her, and be happier. :)
 
I play at 1920x1200 with a 4890... which is about on-par with a 5770. It's more than fine for any of the games that have come out recently, even at 4x/16x and high quality settings.

The 5850 might be a bit more expensive but if you can afford it, then why deprive yourself of a superior gaming experience? Spend the money, buy it, and be happy. Buy it for her, and be happier. :)

The 5770 is more closely tied to the 4870 in performance. Read the reviews if you don't believe me.

The 5770 is fine for most DX9 games at 1920x1200, but it cannot hold it's own in DX11 at 1920x1080 in the latest titles. For that, you want a 5850 minimum today, and 5870 for the future..

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/metro-2033_5.html#sect0
 
I've been investigating, since I run a 5770 at 1080p and I'm betatesting a certain something. Can say in 1080p the 5770 takes a nasty beating by the 5830, even more so by the 5850, and the 5830 isn't that much more than the 5770 - the gap in price 5830 to 5850 is larger. (Over here anyway)

Get 5830 or 5850 if you want to think about it as an investment for future games, you'll be happy you did looking at the numbers I've seen.
 
The Sapphire Vapor X 5770 is the card I have been eyeing.
Right now I'm going to be stuck at DX9c for a while until I get around to upgrade to Win 7.
For DX11 at HD resolutions, you have to buy a 58xx card. I am less concerned about that because that means a monitor upgrade too. I like the monitor I have even though it is a relatively low 1400x900 native resolution. I know I can go cheaper and get a HD48xx card, but it won't that much cheaper, and MORE expensive on some models.
 
Well there is no definite answer to the OP's question. The 5770 is quite capable at 1920x1200. For Dirt2 it runs very well on the High settings. Not max though. I have the Powercolor PCS+ 5770 and it runs just about everything I've thrown at it at very playable frame rates. I finished up Assassin's Creed 2 maxed out and had zero issues. HAWX plays well. RE5 played very well, Crysis was still demanding but, was over 30fps.

It really depends on what games you play too. Keep in mind that it is a mid-range card and the only way to make a 5770 perform well is if you Crossfire it (you can sometimes buy two cards for less than a 5850 when on sale). This will limit you in the long run and another thing to consider is the motherboard you use. I don't know if the AMD based boards run with x8/x8 pci-e lanes when CF'ed or if they will run x16/x16 pci-e.

If you want a good single card solution, spend the extra dough for a 5850 around $280+. I wouldn't bother with the 5830 at all. Or save up for the 5870.

Do your research before choosing buying all your gear.
 
... the 5830 isn't that much more than the 5770 - the gap in price 5830 to 5850 is larger. (Over here anyway)
Really? Current pricing according to Prisjakt:
5770: ~1500 SEK
5830: ~2400 SEK
5850: ~2700 SEK
The gap is much wider between 5770 and 5830 (900 SEK) than it is up to 5850 (300 SEK).

The 5830 is way off in pricing and nowhere near to be considered for purchase.

My advice to Kjeldoran is to keep the 5770 for now and see for himself if he feels it's too slow with the new rig.

Cheers
Olle
 
Thank you for all your input.

I'm still not sure as to what I am going to go with since I honestly do not have the monitor yet. Perhaps, when I have enough to get a new monitor then I can decide if a 5770 is enough for my needs. Either way, my fiance is getting a 5770.

Although, I do read reviews of cards and I know the 5770 fits my needs right now, but even looking at fps charts does not really equate to the gameplay experience unless you see it first hand.

I may just go for the 1055T and apply that extra $100 to the 5850 and overclock the 1055T to 3.2-3.3ghz. Nothing fancy but I imagine I could hit that with stock volts and it would save on power if I wanted to go higher with a higher vcore (crunching 24/7...this is important for me)...
 
Back
Top