Radeon 5770 displayport flicker

newster

Gawd
I bought a displayport monitor (Dell p2210h) for a future eyefinity setup and I hooked up a displayport cable I got from monoprice to test it out. It works great in 2d mode, but whenever I try to run any games, the screen flickers like crazy constantly switching between full screen to like an 80% screen like a strobe light. I am running the latest 10.2 catalyst drivers. I am at wit's end with this so if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated. It works fine in DVI, but I would rather solve this now than have it frustrate me later.

Also, when I run 3d apps in a window it runs fine, but no matter what resolution, in full screen it will flicker.

Last edited:
Is it overclocked at all? What about the latest bios?

I have them running at stock speeds and they were flashed to Asus bios, but they are old. I will look up if there were any bios updates to see if that fixes the problem, thanks!

Edit: There seem to be no new bios available anywhere.

Last edited:
I've got a Sapphire ATI 5970 and have the exact same problem (100% <-> 80% strobe light effect flickering). I'm sure it worked OK on an earlier driver revision. I'm running 10.2 right now, but I'm going to downgrade and see if that helps. I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and I'm using DisplayPort also. I can't test DVI as my monitor doesn't have a DVI input (Apple iMac).

I've just posted a message on the ATI forums, http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=128787&enterthread=y.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, I didn't think anyone was having the same problem. I have two more identical monitors coming next week, so I will also update as to whether it was a hardware related problem with my monitors or not (all my monitors have native displayport support).

Ok, this one is a real head scratcher.

I got 2 more identical monitors today (Dell P2210H) and set them up, with DP attached to one of the newer monitors in eyefinity. It worked for a while. I rebooted. Then the left monitor (DP connected one) would shut off when I ran a 3d application, so eyefinity was only running on the other 2. Then I moved the connections around so that the DP was in the middle (the one that originally didn't work in 3d mode by itself with DP) and it runs flawless now with or without eyefinity. This is true of both 10.2 drivers and 10.3 beta drivers. I do not know where to begin an explanation, but regardless I am rather happy at the moment.

Do you have a rainbow colored screen if you use direct built in HDMI port?

OK I did a test today after reading that the flickering problem doesn't occur using DVI along with DisplayPort. I hooked up my Philips LCD TV to the DVI output and the iMac 27" to the DisplayPort output and fired up a full screen 3D game. Surprise surprise there was no flicker! I then quit the game, unplugged the DVI cable and fired the game up again. This time there was flickering, as I encountered before. The iMac 27" was the primary display in both of these tests.

So it seems that the flickering problem manifests itself when:

1. Display connected to the DisplayPort output
2. The display is high resolution (e.g. 2560x1440)
3. No other displays connected to DVI

When I connected a secondary display to the DVI port, I ran into a couple of different issues. Firstly, whenever I quickly moved the mouse over the displays in the display config page in the Catalyst driver a horizontal line would flicker on the screen. Secondly, the primary display turned all gray, very strange! A reboot cured the gray screen problem, but even so it was worrying.

I captured all of this on video and have uploaded it, have a look at the videos here:

Flickering issue http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8108/img0220.mp4
Gray screen issue http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/5826/img0212.mp4

Back