• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon 3850 -> 4850 upgrade = 0 performance increase?

CC_Pirate

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
463
Hey guys,

I upgraded the video card on my HTPC from a Asus Radeon 3850 to a Visiontek 4850 today, mainly because I was not able to play GRID with acceptable framerates.

Long story short, I see no performance increase at all when playing GRID at 1360x768, 2xFAA. The framerate hovers between 25 to 35fps for the most part, which sucks.

Am I really CPU limited? I did not think that could be a possibility when I bought the card, but it is the only explanation I can think of.

Here are the specs of my HTPC:
AMD Opteron 180 @ 2.7Ghz (S 939)
Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard
3GB RAM
Vista Ultimate 32 bit

I cannot remember my old 3DMark score, but I am now getting about 9100 points in 3DMark06, with a CPU score of 1871.

Please tell me I won't have to upgrade everything else...

Thanks for all input!
 
At a resolution not much larger than 1024x768 and a CPU only slightly better than a stock Intel E6300, yes I'd just about guarantee that you're CPU limited.
 
Most likely CPU bottleneck. My X2 @ 3GHz is a bottleneck in GRID at 1280x1024 with 8xAA. That said, I get about 56 fps average, and 43 fps min, so your numbers still seem on the low side...

I actually tested this when I got my 4850, if you want to see my results here they are: http://kllrnohj.com/images/bottleneck_testing/grid_8xaa_minmaxavg.png

At a resolution not much larger than 1024x768 and a CPU only slightly better than a stock Intel E6300, yes I'd just about guarantee that you're CPU limited.

Its actually about half way between 1280x1024 and 1024x768, but yeah.
 
I do believe that would come out to be not much larger than 1024x768...

The 3850 was more than enough for that resolution.

So why not just bust out a calculator and find out than simply contradict what I said with a belief? Or do you have trouble with basic math?

1024x768: 786432 ~258,000 pixels less
1360x768: 1044480
1280x1024: 1310720 ~266,000 pixels more

Like I said, it is half way between 1024x768 and 1280x1024. :rolleyes:
 
So why not just bust out a calculator and find out than simply contradict what I said with a belief? Or do you have trouble with basic math?

1024x768: 786432 ~258,000 pixels less
1360x768: 1044480
1280x1024: 1310720 ~266,000 pixels more

Like I said, it is half way between 1024x768 and 1280x1024. :rolleyes:

I was simply pointing out your statement of it being halfway between and not being much more than 1024x768 is stupid, because it really is not that much more(not saying your wrong). Did you plan on taking this anywhere?
 
Bumping AA up to 4x actually resulted in a slight fps drop, but only by two to three frames on average. This blows. Im not ready to upgrade the entire system so I think I might just return the card, or sell it.
I will try OCing my CPU a little more, but I know I don't have much more headroom because of my value RAM..

Tanks for the help though guys.
 
Why don't you throw it in your Intel rig and see..... I bet the fps will skyrocket.
 
Back
Top