Radeon 200m

mac_cnc

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 14, 2000
Messages
2,560
What is this? What type of performance does it have? I see some of the laptops at compaq or gateway use them. What the crap is it? Differences between X300 and this. Thanks folks.
 
I think it's supposed to be the new version of IGP mobile onboard video cards that laptops use.
 
mac_cnc said:
What is this? What type of performance does it have? I see some of the laptops at compaq or gateway use them. What the crap is it? Differences between X300 and this. Thanks folks.
The "x200" is the core inside the XPRESS 200/200M chipset. It has around 50-75% of the performance of the x300SE/9600SE. The biggest difference is that the x300 has 4 pipelines and the x200 has 2 pipelines (and most likely only 1 vertex shader). Both have 64-bit memory interfaces.

I had one of these in a HP zv6000 laptop and I was really disappointed by the performance, especially since it has 128MB of dedicated local memory plus dual channel hypermemory.

See a few pages of benchmarks here: http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041108/radeon_xpress-15.html . The 128MB version performs a little better than the 32MB LFB (local framebuffer) + 128MB HM results from the desktop board THG tested, but it still lags far behind even an x300SE.

IMO, if you have a choice between an XPRESS 200M 128MB laptop and a Mobility x300 128MB laptop and want to play games, buy the Mobility x300 128MB one. The Mobility x300 128MB has a 128-bit memory (64MB and 32MB Mobility x300 chips have 64-bit memory interfaces) and is almost equal to a desktop 9600 Pro, depending on the manufacturer. Clock speeds vary by manufacturer.
 
Back
Top