Rad Leaking at the Barbs...Suggestions to seal?

Scroatdog

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, so my loop is all put together, using 7/16 tubing over 1/2 barbs and using worm clamps, just to be safe. Everything was fine until I noticed some leaking from the rad. Oh brother.

I've got a 77 Bonneville core that has worked flawlessly for a year and a half. I am in the process of upgrading my rig with a Storm block, a new Maze4, and an AMD setup. Have the rad on the bottom of my Stacker case. I noticed some leaking, not from a loose worm clamp, but from the base of where the threaded end of the 1/2 barb screws into the rad. I bought this a while back and the threads appear to have had some black substance on them presumably to prevent leaks. Maybe this side wore out? Maybe I overtorqued it getting the old tubing off??? I dont know. But that bard won't budge so I know its on tight.

Can anyone recommend something I can buy to stop that leak dead in its tracks??? This upgrade has been amost 6 months in the making, setback after setback and here's yet ANOTHER damn setback. Any suggestions? I really don't want to take this loop apart so I hope there is some way I can stop this. This is very discouraging. My first watercooling setup 2 1/2 years ago had no leaks. The watercooling setup I've used for the last year and a half (including this rad) I have had zero leaks. There's gotta be something I can slap on that to stop it from leaking. Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

teflon tape, I'd try that and then maybe silcone or some kind of waterpoof sealant if the tape doesn't stop it.. Personaly I prefer Kitchen/Bathroom caulking as the sealant.

if you do not plan on ever taking the barbs off of the rad, i would recommend you use JB Weld.

JB weld is good... but any other epoxy would work just as well. slather it around the seal, let it dry, then slather another layer on top of that. Should be good to go... hell, that how my barbs are held into my bonnie.

I think you're going to have to drain the loop at least.
Nothing you slather on externally will have a chance if water is actively oozing out.

Once the area is dry, Plumber's GOOP ( any Ace Hardware has it) will seal it nicely.

I was taking a look at JB Weld, but the cure time was too long for me. I need this thing together ASAP. I'm tired of having parts all over the damn place
:p

Went to Ace Hardware and got some Marine Epoxy, which works well on metal and fibreglass that will be in a water envirnoment (obviously). Well, the hardening resin (white side) didn't wanna come out so I took it back. Got DEVCON High Strength 5 minute Epoxy. It's all clear in color and sets FAST. Working time of 5 minutes, handling time of 15 minutes. I'm gonna put a second coat on in a bit. I made an attempt to get the one hose off, but remember this is 7/16 tubing on 1/2 barbs, so the only way that hose is coming off is with a razor blade, which would mean re-doing that section. So, hell with that.

Anyhow, the resin is supposedly water resistant and has a PSI strength of 1,500 ft/sq in. Not like my loop will be under that much pressure but.... Anyhow, I'll report back with the results once I get this damn project finished!!

(Ya know, every time I get mad and frustrated about how long my project is taking, I think about Top Nurse's project and feel all better again! LOL)

At the barb u mean the thread part where it screws in on the rad.
If so use some plumers puddy works good.

dude, be careful, frustration and impatience lead to the dark side, suffer major mishap you might :eek:

i'd recommend walking away from it for a few hours, take your mind off of it, and try again fresh. You really should drain the system, remove the barb in question, and seal it properly. If you go the epoxy route then cleaning the areawith alchohol or acetone is important. JB weld works wonders. Good luck dude-

topcat989 said:
You really should drain the system, remove the barb in question, and seal it properly.

NONSENSE!! :p :p

Here's the deal with the rad. I bought it here in the FS/T forums from either 2Fresh or Weapon (I can't remember its was a while back). It came with the 1/2 barbs on it (as requested) and was put in there very neat and either spot welded or the JB Weld because it was black all around where the threads meet the rad. In my last watercooling setup seen Here (fourth post down) I had running since September 2004 with no problems, no leaks whatsoever. I decided to roll the dice, leave the loop as is, and slather the epoxy on there - two coats. So far, so dry.

I was kinda let down that I had the leak, since I've never had a prolem with leaking before.... well, except for when I built my first loop, stuffed in a Coolermaster ATC 201. Umm, I forgot to tighten down ALL of the worm clamps and when I began to start filling the loop, water everywhere. Luckily I hadn't poured much in at the time but.... Basically I've had a good run of things and this new upgrade from what's in my sig to the new AMD 3800+X2, X1800XT, yada yada yada, I've been plagued with nothing but delays and setbacks. Had finally gotten all my parts in last Friday only to discover that the top on the Maze4 GPU wouldn't jive with the X1800XT, so I had to place an order with Danger Den. Then yesterday when I finally get the loop going (after breaking down the mobo/cpu/drives that were running on the table, I get the rad leak.

Anyway, don't mind my rambling. And thanks for all the advice.

P.S. I'm getting that feeling like I wanna add more Pentosin to the loop because the water is very light blue......willpower!!...willpower!!! I know it will darken to the right color once it's fully bled. :p C'Mon, I can't be the only one that's experienced that, right?

Back