Racks!

[H]EMI_426

2[H]4U
Sorry to disappoint, but this thread is not about boobs. :)

I have several rackmount cases at home. I also have several machines that run without needing console input/output. I'm sick and tired of tripping over machines, not knowing if a machine is running, not being able to find machines, etc. I've come to the conclusion that I need to start putting machines in a rack at home.

I have the room for the rack. There's room in the ham radio/laundry room. :) Now I just need to find a rack.

My question is what racks are good? I want to stay within 24" wide. I don't need a cabinet, but if I could find one in good shape for a good price I'd use it. Casters are a necessity. I prefer the racks that have the 3/8" square holes that you use cage nuts with, cause I have experience using them at work. I also need to find a company that will deliver to somewhere that doesn't have a loading dock, cause neither I or work has a loading dock to unload to.

I was pointed at http://www.racksolutions.com by a friend and found a setup that would probably work. I'd probably get the 36U size, the "Compaq" 29 3/16" depth, with the optional power strip and with casters. The thing comes fully disassembled, which would make getting it home and downstairs a lot easier. I probably won't be bolting the rack down.

How does that RackSolutions setup look? The price seems fair for what I'm getting, it fits my criteria pretty well and seems to be pretty well-built from what their page shows.

Any opinions? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Has anyone dealt with this company before. Who here has racks at home and is happy with their setup? How did you choose your rack and where did you get it?

At work we buy all our rack/rack related stuff from these guys. They've got some really kick ass stuff but it doesn't come cheap either.

haha, no idea. On IRC I said, "I need a good pic to link to with a boobs reference," and someone pointed me at that one. It struck me as funny, so there it is.

I've heard of middleatlantic before, but they are a bit pricier than I want. :(

Aw, come on now...There's no [H] folks out there with racks? Maybe this place just isn't as hard-core as I thought it was. :D

yea, the pic is a lil nasty but still funny..i wud agree

enable the link again?, i wanna show my friend, its funny

Originally posted by wayne

.....please don't.

Thanks - B.B.S.

Originally posted by [H]EMI_426
I was pointed at http://www.racksolutions.com by a friend and found a setup that would probably work. I'd probably get the 36U size, the "Compaq" 29 3/16" depth, with the optional power strip and with casters. The thing comes fully disassembled, which would make getting it home and downstairs a lot easier. I probably won't be bolting the rack down.

I personally know some of the people at Racksolutions (worked with them at E-Systems there in Greenville, Texas) and they are good folks.

Originally posted by wayne

The link wasn't disabled by me. Some mod did it. I just edited out their inappropriate comment about my link being inappropriate.

You could always check the same post at 2CPU.com...They are considerably more relaxed over there, I guess.

Anyway, RackSolutions' setup is looking pretty good to me. When I get my tax return back I'll probably take the plunge and give it a shot.

o well...wuts the link anyways... pm it to me if u dont wanna post it

my friends waiting... i told him i cracked up when i saw it... its not myself so he thought it reallie had to be funny

Well, if you're looking for very cheap - you could always build it. While a lot more complicated, and you need some welding equipment, it would be very [H]ard to say you made your own rack.

y dont u pm me the link?..that way the mods wont hav to lock it or anything and no one will be offended... i dunt see how they're gonna get offended since its funny, but pm it to me anyways

Back