Rackmount UPS twistlock question

puck

Gawd
We have a rackmount UPS that has a 125v 30A plug on it, we are getting ready to move and our new server room has 125v 20A outlets.

Will the 30A plug be able to plug into the 20A outlet?

No, you will need to have a 30 amp twist-lock socket installed.
I suppose if the ups' *actual* power requirements were low enough
you could replace the line cord on the ups, but installing the proper
outlet would be the "right thing" to do. Modifying the ups would
probably void it's warranties and certifications.

Tom in Tulsa

Per code, you can't simply change the plug on the end of the cord. It's a bad idea anyway. If the UPS draws more than the new plug can handle it can melt and possibly catch on fire.

The proper way to handle this is to have an electrician install a new 30 amp circuit with the proper breaker and outlet in the server room.

If for some reason the exisitng 20 amp curcuit actually used 10 guage wire it will be a simple breaker and outlet change. But if the wire is 12 guage, which is what is needed for a 20 amp circuit, the wire can't be used.

Thanks for thee replies, hopefully the new outlets will be installed tommorow.

I just wish theye would standardize on some damn outlets, way too many out there.

puck said:

I just wish theye would standardize on some damn outlets, way too many out there.

There are standards, at least you aren't using OLD 20A twistlock (those cought on fire under normal use)

It's just the right ammount of amps for the device isn't the right ammount for everything else. How would you like to plug your cell phone charger into a 30A twistloc?

puck said:

The great thing about standards is there are so many of them. :p Like tekie was saying, though, the differences in plugs are there for a reason. You don't want to be plugging a device that might draw 30 amps into a 15 amp plug, but those devices are rare enough that you don't want to pay the extra money to make all outlets and wiring handle the 30 amps, thus there has to be a difference purely out of safety. Was that sentence long enough. :D

Back