Racing with the Ryzen 5 2400G APU at 1080p

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Is the Ryzen 5 CPU with Vega Graphics worthy of being deemed an actual gaming CPU/GPU by someone that actually plays games? Jason Evangelho put the Ryzen 5 2400G ($175) to the test in several racing games, by actually playing the games. We like that approach and he has a very solid takeaway after using gaming as an excuse for work.

I decided to start with a genre I've been obsessed with since I played Pole Position in the arcades: racing. However, I'm not giving the Ryzen 5 2400G an easy ride. I chose 6 racing games in total, but 3 of them are fairly demanding. Regardless, I had another requirement beyond 1080p: at least Medium quality graphics settings and an average of 30 FPS or higher.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All a general workstation needs or even light gaming. Got good numbers on the OC until I got cocky and blew up the Tomahawk.

Racing games are almost universally not demanding of the GPU. That's why the console racers look almost the same as their PC counterparts.

Cars don't require a lot of geometry, and the effects (shiny paint) are very easy. The most other cars you typically see onscreen with you are 2-3.

Racing games are almost universally not demanding of the GPU. That's why the console racers look almost the same as their PC counterparts.

Cars don't require a lot of geometry, and the effects (shiny paint) are very easy. The most other cars you typically see onscreen with you are 2-3.

You better tell Forbes guy to stop wasting his time right?

On topic, it did pretty well for a grandma solution. One could make grandmas comp even smaller with this APU. Oh next test is FPS games.

You better tell Forbes guy to stop wasting his time right?

On topic, it did pretty well for a grandma solution. One could make grandmas comp even smaller with this APU. Oh next test is FPS games.

Just saying, the results are not surprising. The only really demanding racing games are open world, and you know how uncommon those are.

I can max-out Rocket League on my old 750 Ti at 1080p, and it's way overkill for that. I'm pretty sure you can play it nearly maxed-out on Raven Ridge. It's a pretty powerful chip, even if it falls flat on it's face with more demanding titles (AAA shooters).

Last edited:
Just saying, the results are not surprising. The only really demanding racing games are open world, and you know how uncommon those are.

I can max-out Rocket League on my old 750 Ti at 1080p, and it's way overkill for that. I'm pretty sure you can play it nearly maxed-out on Raven Ridge. It's a pretty powerful chip, even if it falls flat on it's face with more demanding titles.
Rocket League != Project Cars 2. I can play Rocket League on my 4 year old laptop. My desktop will have Rocket League pegged at 120 with full settings. My 970 isn't steadily over 60 at 1080 with settings that aren't even maxed in Assetto Corsa.

This may not be like trying to play the latest AAA FPS, but this is far from nothing. An APU putting up reasonable FPS is impressive.

EDIT: By your standard, Mass Effect: Andromeda isn't very demanding because my MacBook can play it on low settings.

I can max-out Rocket League on my old 750 Ti at 1080p, and it's way overkill for that. I'm pretty sure you can play it nearly maxed-out on Raven Ridge. It's a pretty powerful chip, even if it falls flat on it's face with more demanding titles (AAA shooters).

Your comments are tangential and *unneeded. It's like no shit dude, its an APU. Don't feel threatened ok?

Last edited:
Your comments are tangential and needed. It's like no shit dude, its an APU. Don't feel threatened ok?

I'll get right on that "only positive news" right now boss.

A glowing sales pitch needs to have a taste of reality in the comments section. I never said it was a bad chip, just that you will not see similar results form more demanding titles.

I'll get right on that "only positive news" right now boss.

A glowing sales pitch needs to have a taste of reality in the comments section. I never said it was a bad chip, just that you will not see similar results form more demanding titles.

Again, more bs. You're shit posting for no reason. The tester states where the chip does good and bad. NO ONE IS EXPECTING MIRACLES. It's an effing APU.

My Dell 7375 with R7 2700U can handle iRacing at 1080p high quality with 2xAA at ~40fps. It actually can do much higher than that (55-60fps), but throttles due to bios bug and settles in around 40fps. Still good, but once the bug is fixed it should be closer to 60fps. That's incredible for a thin and light 13" laptop under $900, imo.

I'll have to post a video of my portable racing setup, I travel a decent amount so wanted something I could take with me to play.

Bare minimum to be enjoyable is the laptop, srw-s1 which is slick gyroscopic wheel with hand throttle/brake that works surprisingly well, and the Dell power brick, which is very small (due to only being 45w) and it can all fit into a small laptop bag. If you don't get motion sickness, you could actually play on a bus or train or as a passenger in a car (as long as you had some elbow room). I'd probably puke doing that, though.

One step up is putting the wheel on a g25 wheel base and clamping to a table (no pedals needed as the srw has hand controls) which all fits in a large backpack. This gives the addition of force feedback, but over doubles the weight of the setup and requires a somewhat stable table. Still easy to take with you on a trip via plane/train/bus, and works well if you're staying in a hotel and want to play some games. You can fit the pedals too, but they're not necessary and would require a duffel instead of a backpack.

Then I have a portable sim seat (which allows secure mounting of wheel and pedals) and projector if I want a higher end setup and can find a flat wall. That takes up some more space (mainly due to the seat) so you couldn't take it with you unless you had a vehicle, but still easily portable. I can take this camping (if weather is projected to be bad) or on road trips where I know I'll have some down time or want to do some gaming with friends/family.

This setup also doubles as a setup for my kids to play.

I've tried with with the HP WindowsMR setup (85% render scale, 2xAA), but the throttling kills it. You have to have minimum 30fps for the new SteamVR windowsMR driver to give good frame filling up to 90hz, and this can't handle it once it throttles, it drops to 20fps. Once it drops below 30fps you'll get motion sickness. I'll try it again if/when bios fixes come in for the throttling, but even then it might just be too much for this little guy to handle. The fact it's even a considerartion worth testing is impressive, though.

It would be nice to see an APU target a midrange solution for smaller builds. The AMD stuff always works well for media center PCs that do some light gaming, but nothing mind blowing. I would be curious to see what a $300-$400 APU could do.

Am I the only one who considers those fps unacceptable? Racing games require frequent if not constant input, and those fluctuations are enough to ruin the experience. Might be fine for dirt or something more arcade style, but not really good for a sim. I'd rather play at 480p than have fps dip into the 20s.

the review was to compare them to a console at 30 fps.min, and in this situation it did a fantastic job of it.

1080P gaming on a $175 APU is not bad at all.

$149 at Microcenter. And they have extended the motherboard bundle discount to include these Raven Ridge chips, so -30 off bundle... you could get this and a motherboard around 200 after rebates. That is just crazy. +8gb of ram (needs to be decent though, 3000+) +cheap ssd +cheapo case/power supply... one could have a quasi-respectable light gaming rig for around $400... +$100 for a 1080p monitor, so $500ish all in.

I would totally build one of those for the Mrs if I could ever convince her to get off the laptop.

the review was to compare them to a console at 30 fps.min, and in this situation it did a fantastic job of it.

WRONG. The review compares them at 30 fps adverage, not minimum. Big difference there. To reach 30 fps minimum would take significantly more power.

WRONG. The review compares them at 30 fps adverage, not minimum. Big difference there. To reach 30 fps minimum would take significantly more power.

Only 2 of the 6 had minimums below 30, one he commented felt a little sluggish and the other was brief and had an average of 48. The rest were well above 30, even at minimum. It's almost like you didn't bother to read it.

Only 2 of the 6 had minimums below 30, one he commented felt a little sluggish and the other was brief and had an average of 38. The rest were well above 30, even at minimum. It's almost like you didn't bother to read it.

I hate to burst your bubble, but below 30 FPS fails to reach a 30 FPS minimum. Even 29 FPS fails to be 30 Minimum. We are on the hard forum here, where it is common for gamers with big e-penises to lie about their performance numbers because they can't not think with their e-penis. You are probably one of those people who bragging lie about your performance numbers because it makes you feel cool. I've seen in a hundred times before and you seem to fit that mold. Average FPS is an average, not a minimum, herp derp.

World of Tanks has a new core engine with havok and i see many complain about not being able to run the game anymore and being it's a free game could you test it?

I hate to burst your bubble, but below 30 FPS fails to reach a 30 FPS minimum. Even 29 FPS fails to be 30 Minimum. We are on the hard forum here, where it is common for gamers with big e-penises to lie about their performance numbers because they can't not think with their e-penis. You are probably one of those people who bragging lie about your performance numbers because it makes you feel cool. I've seen in a hundred times before and you seem to fit that mold. Average FPS is an average, not a minimum, herp derp.

Wtf, 4 of the 6 games had minimums above 30, not sure what you're on about. I didn't run the benchmarks or write the article, so what could I be lying about? Go to bed, you're drunk.

Wtf, 4 of the 6 games had minimums above 30, not sure what you're on about. I didn't run the benchmarks or write the article, so what could I be lying about? Go to bed, you're drunk.

Just learn what the difference is between the English words "Minimum" and "Average", then you will understand that claiming your average to be a minimum is a lie. A white lie, sure, but a lie all the same which is very typical of your posts here.

Just learn what the difference is between the English words "Minimum" and "Average", then you will understand that claiming your average to be a minimum is a lie. A white lie, sure, but a lie all the same which is very typical of your posts here.

I think the problem here is that your basic argument is based on you reading the first couple paragraphs of the article and then vomiting your bullshit all over the post. The article lists both minimum and average FPS for each game he plays. Bobzdar is correct in that 4 of the 6 games listed had minimum fps above 30. You have three posts now where you repeat your mistaken nonsense as if saying it over and over again makes it correct. It does not.

TLDR: Go fuck yourself.

I've brought you the relevant parts so you don't have to hurt your brain too much by reading the whole thing, as that's obviously an issue here.

Project Cars 2: ....The result? An average of 36 FPS and a minimum of 34.

Dirt 4: .... The result? An average of 53 FPS and a minimum of 44.

The Crew: ...
I clocked an average of 38 FPS and a minimum of 23 FPS. It was playable, but it felt sluggish at times.

Assetto Corsa:
... an average 48 FPS, although the minimum FPS dropped to 26 briefly.

GRID Autosport: ... you can ramp up the quality to Ultra and still bring in an average 44 FPS with a minimum of 38 FPS.

Trackmania Turbo:
...The 2400G brought home an excellent 113 average FPS with a minimum of 62 FPS. You could easily play this one at 1440p if you wanted to.

Did bobzdar touch you somewhere?

And you claimed that i'm the one that was drunk lol. Ok look i'll make you a deal. Prove that I am/was drunk as you claim, and i'll concede that I was wrong. Until you do that, I will both know that I wasn't wrong and that you are a liar.

Last edited:
I would certainly say that FPS games are VERY different when it comes to APU gaming.

I bought a AMD A10-7700 back when it first came out, and it ran tons of stuff quite well, including Burnout Paradise and NFS 2015, and Homeworld Remastered at almost max settings, however when I tried DOOM, It ran like crap....I needed a Dedicated GPU to play DOOM properly.

So I caved and bought a ASUS RX 470 from bestbuy for about $190, and have been happy ever since.

I would certainly say that FPS games are VERY different when it comes to APU gaming.

I bought a AMD A10-7700 back when it first came out, and it ran tons of stuff quite well, including Burnout Paradise and NFS 2015, and Homeworld Remastered at almost max settings, however when I tried DOOM, It ran like crap....I needed a Dedicated GPU to play DOOM properly.

So I caved and bought a ASUS RX 470 from bestbuy for about $190, and have been happy ever since.

Which Doom game? There are more than one game called Doom.

And you claimed that i'm the one that was drunk lol. Ok look i'll make you a deal. Prove that I am/was drunk as you claim, and i'll concede that I was wrong. Until you do that, I will both know that I wasn't wrong and that you are a liar.

wtf? I never said anything about being drunk.

Can you not read? If you are making such simple mistakes you should quit being abrasive towards others and insulting them.

wtf? I never said anything about being drunk.

Can you not read? If you are making such simple mistakes you should quit being abrasive towards others and insulting them.

Calling that guy a liar wasn't an insult brother, it was a straight up fact. You probably think Kyle is insulting Nvidia by calling them liars too. It isn't. You've got it all wrong. We can't always be right all the time so just learn from your mistakes and grow from them.

Please be informed that as the now these processors (R5 Pro 2400GE) are available to OEM only. We do not have much information regarding the future availability. I request you to subscribe to the newsletter so that you can receive latest updates on the new product releases.

Back