Racing Game that uses real-life streets?

larryBird44

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anything think it would be fun to race on real streets that could be in your neighborhood? Why someone hasn't used google maps or whatever for the cars to race on is beyond me. They setup real airports and landmarks for airplane games, why not racing games?

PGR indeed...

I've lost too many Vegas races due to sightseeing :D (London too.)

Midtown Madness series too.I had so much fun with Midtown Madness 1 in Chicago.

Banko said:

the one in paris/washington was pretty cool. I finished that one on the xbox

Having not played or looked at PGR, I can't speak for it. But TDU does in fact model the streets of one of the Hawaiian islands. Some of the rough edges and dead ends of the island streets are changed, but I have read that it is mostly faithful.

I read that the new Test Drive: Hawaii or whatever it will be called, actually uses the streets of the island of Oahu. There was a story in The Honolulu Advertiser about them flying over and spending a week or something just filming the streets.

I can't wait to get this on the PC and see how accurate or inaccurate it will be.

riot8ap said:
Does anything think it would be fun to race on real streets that could be in your neighborhood? Why someone hasn't used google maps or whatever for the cars to race on is beyond me. They setup real airports and landmarks for airplane games, why not racing games?

Just get your drivers license.

^^^ I've had my license for many years, but I think the OP has a good idea. It would be fun to race around the streets and freeways here in So-Cal and not worry about getting tickets.

Banko said:

Never played midtown 1. Midtown 2 san francisco was awsome. My friends and I used to lan it up and play the steal the gold option in san francisco. So much fun.

you know i've thought about this a lot over the years. I always hoped in the future as games become more complex and graphically realistic, that some dev would create a racing game with say downloadable towns/cities that are faithful recreations of their real life counterparts. Or something with robust editing tools included so modders could semi-easily create their own hometown, then maybe i'd get to race around my crappy little city.

In this age of sue happy people, people needing constant scapegoats for their own mistakes and dumb highly impressionable kids/young adults/adults. Creating a racing game with REAL life streets and what not is just asking for trouble in so many ways its not even funny! ;)

Tazman2 said:
In this age of sue happy people, people needing constant scapegoats for their own mistakes and dumb highly impressionable kids/young adults/adults. Creating a racing game with REAL life streets and what not is just asking for trouble in so many ways its not even funny! ;)

hmm..you really think so? I wonder if Microsoft has any legal problem with their realistic flight sim.

theres a slight difference in the number of people that have access and capability to fly a plane than steal a car.

black_b[ ]x said:
theres a slight difference in the number of people that have access and capability to fly a plane than steal a car.

Oh you mean like GRAND THEFT AUTO...
wait a minute... isnt that a game? /vomiting with sarcasm/

I did hear that they are photoing square foot by square foot each realistic track on the new Gran Turismo for PS3. But I think that was just a rumor. No way they could fit all that data, even with blueray.

Since you have not specified a platform, Gran Turismo 4 for Playstation 2. It's a very good game, especially racing on the Nürburgring Nordschleife track. (May not be a street but w/e)

PGR3. You can waste so much time in PGR3 just sightseeing, especially if you've been to the cities in question. The game's graphics are just incredible!

I don´t think many here drive the nordschleife to work... It don´t lead anywhere except from where you started...

I don´t think anyone will successfully sue a game developer that makes a racing games based on real streets lol.

Have Fast and Furios and other racing games being sued yet ;)

Back