Race Sim hardware

Any other dedicated Race Sim players here? What hardware are you using?

I've been into race sims almost as long as I've been into computers. I upgraded my first computer from a 486 SX 33 to a Pentium 60 simply to get the first NASCAR Racing game by Papyrus and I've been hooked ever since. Several years into my racing adventures I splurged and purchased the Thomas Super Wheel steering wheel and pedal combo. My wife about killed me for spending so much on a wheel. It was the fourth wheel I purchased for racing, and I have not had to purchase another since then (about 10 years old now). It was initially connected by game port, but has since been upgraded to use USB.

I'd like a new force feedback unit. But as has always been the case, you basically have two choices: generic/cheap models or uber expensive models. I will spend the money for a quality product. Just trying to find users with first hand experience to offer opinions.

I've been checking out the Fanatec system, which looks really nice, but it's quite a chunk of change.

What is everyone else using?

You may have better luck if you ask a mod to move this thread to the General Gaming forum, or more specifically, the PC Gaming and Hardware subforum.

Just got a g27 y-day and its good enough for me. Although I hear the fanatec and the like are a step up. A minor step up but a step up nonetheless. The g27 has the most support in games though afaik. Also there are mods to improve the pedals and something to do with the wheel idk I'm looking into them now.

look into a fanatec club sport wheel, pedals and shifters. Very good higher end wheels.

http://us.fanatec.com/RacingWheels?product_id=262

Will need pedals, rim, shifter as well.

If you do not want to spend that much I use the Fanatec CSR wheel with CSR Elite pedals. Very good wheel as well and a step up from logitech stuff, I went from a G25 to my CSR, the pedals are definitely and HUGE upgrade and pedals are one of the most important pieces of hardware in sim racing imo. I am into sims as well, have a cockpit, triple screens etc.. lots of fun. Mainly drive in iracing myself.

I can vouch for the standard Fanatec CSR wheel. It actually feels a little flimsy compared to the Logitech wheels, but I have been abusing the thing since purchasing it 2 years ago and it's still going strong. The PC drivers are great with the latest firmware. Been playing mostly F1 2013, but I just purchased an iRacing subscription when it was on sale a little awhile ago that I'm going to start taking advantage of.

I will say that you should probably spend the extra money to get the CSR Elite pedals. The pots on the standard pedals I originally purchased were shot after about 6 months. The Elite pedals are like 10 times heavier because they are fabricated from metal instead of plastic. The Elite brake pedal also has a load cell that makes a huge difference in feel and performance for myself.

In my opinion the Fanatec wheels are superior to the Logitech due to them using a belt-driven system. You will really appreciate the smoothness after coming from the traditional gear-driven system that Logitech still uses.

Incredible. I have experience with Logitech G25 and I was never wanting for more wheel wise. The pedals could've been upgraded as well as the shifter, but the wheel was really great. These Fanatec wheels look incredible though..

I had an Act Labs Force RS, and now I have a G25. Both are fantastic wheels. If I were going to buy one now though, I get a Thrustmaster T500.

The high end Fanatec pedals are solid but the wheels are pretty unreliable for long term use. I use a Thrustmaster T500RS wheel and TH8RS shifter. While the pedals that come with the T500RS are a solid set, I'm looking to give the Fanatec ClubSport V2 pedals a try soon.

3 x 27" in eyefinity
Fanatec Clubsport Base with BMW GT rim
Clubsport V2 pedals
Derek Spears button box
M-Spec usb shift light
Symprojects Pro Gauge controller (analog 5" tach / water temp / oil temp gauges)
SimVibe with Buttkicker tactile transducers

The Fanatec gear has 6693 race laps on it, way, way, way more practice laps than race laps. Many of those laps come from 2.4 hour road races, and 250 lap oval races. Never had any problems with the wheel or base, had some very minor issues with the pedals which I fixed myself.

@Lith1um - Nice setup there.

I've been eyeing the Fanatec setup, it's just more than I really wanted to spend right now. Not too mention I keep finding more awesome addons (such as the button bars and tach setups).

I'm thinking I will start with the G27 for now

I too have a fanatec setup with a csr wheel and elite pedals. It's important to either build of buy a gaming chair to take advantage of it. My setup is used on the 360, ps3 and PC which makes it a better value all around.

The elite pedals are legit.

I'd be leery of the Fanatec stuffs. I do not like that company and I wish they had some real competition in the load-cell pedals world. I would pay more money for a set of pedals that felt more natural. Brake pedal should have give give give, then CATCH. The products are wonderfully engineered and I get the idea the wheels are excellent, but I hated the Clubsport v2 pedals I had. There was something wrong with them. I took them apart and worked with their CS (which is pretty spotty even though they speak English perfectly) to try to figure out why they were so stiff throughout the entire throw and difficult to engage, in the end they offered to replace them but I passed. They were so stiff I was getting blisters on my foot. I had to use shoes, and that kinda ruins the racing in my underwear experience for me.

Anyone have any experience with the clubsport v2s and have a good recommendation to step up to? Even if it's fanatec? These CSR elite pedals... I thought they were potentiometers?

Fanatec is so confident of their products that they went from a 2 year warranty in the US down to a 1 year warranty. *sarcasm* I don't like the way they do business and their quality control is extremely spotty given their low production runs compared to much more mass market products from Logitech and Thrustmaster.

Then they recently announce a truckload of new rim styles for the CSW wheelbase, yet they can't even get the Clubsport SQ shifter back in stock until late September. And that's probably because they are fixing defects from returned ones.

Back