R9200 vs R9600se

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
My fabulous question of the day is, if I have to get a low profile AGP card. Should I get a Radeon 9200 LP or 9600SE LP?

I figure the 9200 is slightly faster, but the 9600SE has DX9 support.

I would go with the 9200. DX9 support means nothing if the card itself is castrated (read GF FX 5200). The 9200 has a 128-bit memory bus, while the 9600SE is only a 64-bit bus. The 9600 series cards really relies on memory and GPU clock in order to perform well, since the core itself is not very powerful.

Do you really need this now?

If you don't, wait a month for the new cards to come out.

If you do, buy a $20 card right now, and wait a month for the new cards to come out and get one of those (one that is cheap, obviously).

The big problem is that I need a low profile (half height) card with a half height backplate, of which they don't seem to make anything in that form factor more powerful than a 9600se.

i had to make the same choice a few months ago - while building an HTPC. at the time my choices did not include 9600se - 9200le was the best i could do. i got it. the card works ok, even winamp visualizations look good - but no gaming there.

get 9600se - you won't regret it. it still won't let ya game, but it will perform some rudimentary 3D duties quite a bit better than 9200.

I'm just really looking to get a Standard Radeon 9600 in low profile, that would be seriously kickass.

Just get what ever one that has a pcb that fits and change the backplate, they are interchangeable ya know.

Originally posted by fountas
Just get what ever one that has a pcb that fits and change the backplate, they are interchangeable ya know.

Interchangable how? Some have VGA ports, some have VGA+Svideo, some have VGA +composite, some have DVI, some have DVI+svideo, some have DVI+composite.

thats not very interchangable I don't think...

Back