[R9 290X vs 780 Ti] HardOCP doesn't brown nose nVidia like all the other reviewers.

i agree with everything you said minus the underlined. cheers. AMD targeted people willing to sacrifice noise in lieu of value, leaving room for AIB's to potentially pick up the rest. i'm impressed with both camps at the moment, mainly with the value Nvidia offers in the non-ti 780's. if it weren't for Mantle i would probably have a non-ti 780 lightning/classified/HOF in my case. i'm placing my eggs in the Mantle basket right now, maybe foolishly so maybe not.

The main complaint isn't just a focus on the 'right now', but also historical. AMD showed promise with the HD7990 blower compared to the cooler on the HD6990. Most were hoping that they'd be putting that much effort into their coolers from here on out; that they didn't address the amount of noise generated by the 290-series in the same fashion was a major disappointment highlighted by most reviewers. Both AMD and Nvidia have shown a knack for keeping high-end parts quiet(er) under load, but it looks like AMD was aiming for a lower power/performance target when they spec'd this cooler out. As many note, when set to a lower rotational speed, the 290's blower is actually quite good, and it is quite capable of keeping a 300w GPU cool when set free.

As for the AIB coolers; well, AMD should have given them more of a heads up, and they should have been able to ship those cards alongside the reference versions. That would have save AMD a lot of headache.

Mantle: we're going to have to wait and see. It's an exciting technology, to be sure. Right now, though, I'm more stuck on seeing what happens with G-Sync. As simple as it is, it's really the most important technology on the docket.

AMD targeted people willing to sacrifice noise in lieu of value

This is a key reason why people view AMD as a cheap bargain brand. The 290\290x is supposed to be their flagship product, representing the best they can offer. Being cheap,loud,hot,noisy and having launch driver issues is not reflecting well on the brand. You could forgive a lot of that if the card was way faster than the 780ti, but it's slower so those issues become magnified.

This is a key reason why people view AMD as a cheap bargain brand. The 290\290x is supposed to be their flagship product, representing the best they can offer. Being cheap,loud,hot,noisy and having launch driver issues is not reflecting well on the brand. You could forgive a lot of that if the card was way faster than the 780ti, but it's slower so those issues become magnified.

First of all people dont generally view AMD/ATI graphic cards as cheap bargain video cards. Just because you and some others think this way doesn't make it true.

Some people simply think that higher priced always equals better but that is often not the case.

If you compare both the gtx780TI vs the r290x benchmarks up to 1600p you will notice that both generally will give you the same gaming exp. At 4k+resoltutions the 290x has a significant advantage due to its 64 rops. Add true audio and mantel down the line and you get one hell of a product for 150$ less than what you pay for the TI.

Sure the referance r290x is a bit louder under load. If that really bothers you, then you can always opt to pay 150$ more for several db less or wait for the non referance models.

All I ever see is rhetoric from the guy ...makes you wonder. 9+ years I hope 1 gets paid for so much time.

No shit, I am starting to think he only gets paid if he comes up with truly off the wall bullshit.

The 780 Ti better be faster than the 290, the die size is around 25% bigger. Though if it were such a "premium" product, one might expect it to have even greater gains from that added chip space. As it stands the amd cards are not that far off using much less space to do the same kinds of work. There is part of your heat differential too since the components are closer together, but that difference will be wiped away soon enough with the after market coolers.

But it's good that nvidia released the 780 Ti, I like it when companies find ways to tap into the resources of people with more money than sense.

The gains you get from the GK110 die aren't all from gaming, and haven't been since Nvidia released the G80/8800 series. That extra die space is there for compute- had Nvidia scaled the lean GK104 design to the same size die, it'd be even faster for gaming :).

Over all though the gaming experience between both flagships seems to be on par in single gpu all the way up to 4k now that Ive seen the 4k review but in cfx/sli it would seem the 290x scales higher.

Either way its just awesome that we enthusiasts can have this kind of perf at the $550 range. Sure its a bit noisier under load atm, but you can always add an aftermarket cooler for 70$ and get even better acoustics than what the 780ti gives you and you would still end up paying less. If that still not good enough, you could wait for non reference cards that should arrive soon. :)

Back