R9 290X help

Sheppard

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have this R9 290x. I sold it to a guy and he put it in his rig and installed the drivers and the card crashed twice will playing games and then wouldn't boot at all. I received the card and cannot find ANY physical damage whatso ever. No burned capacitors, not burn bridges, nothing. The card absolutely WILL NOT BOOT. It doesn't show up in the bios, it cant be detected by ATIflash or any other software. Installing it as a secondary card yields nothing. The fan does spin up however. To the computer, the card doesn't exist. I know what you're thinking, why not just RMA the card. That's not possible as didn't buy the card knew, nor do I have any way to contact the original owner as I bought it off craigslist.

Is there some voltage points on the card that I can check that wont further damage the card to see if the card is powering properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Is it possible he tried flashing the card with a custom bios and bricked it and didn't tell you?

I cannot help with diagnosing the problem, but I'm curious. Did you sell it on Ebay?

There's no way I can view the bios so I couldn't tell you. No I sold it on here.

Even with a bricked card, you still should theoretically be able to see it in ATiflash (dos). The fan spinning up does tell me the card is indeed receiving power, some way, some how.

OP, perhaps you could slot-dance the card around as a secondary and see if you get lucky? Do you have other rigs available to test on?

Edit: Is the card a Gigabyte make by chance?

Last edited:
Ugh, that's a tough one. Who knows what the guy did to the card and if he's being honest with you? But since you've accepted the card back and seem to have no other recourse, baking it for a little while might not be a bad idea.

Yeah I thought about the baking idea. I think that will be my final war cry. I have tried to short the bios pins to make ati flash detect the cards but nothing on either bios switch position

What I'm thinking is there has to be a spot on the card where I can detect voltage after the VRM set that will tell me if the card is powering correctly.

Even though you didn't buy the card brand new, i'd still attempt an RMA. The worst that can happen is you are denied, it's totally worth the try even if you have to pay a little bit for shipping.

I screwed up a i7 3770K on a delid attempt and Intel let me RMA the processor without proof of receipt or anything. I sealed up the heatsink and sent it on it's way. I was sure I would be denied, but I totally got a brand new in box i7 3770K few weeks later.

Back