R9 290x black screen

solved my issue, it was just overheating since the fan would never go above 40% even at 93c
so afterburner saved my life here, doesn't get past 65c now, and this has solved my black screens,

Is that with stock cooling?

Also, what clocks are you running?

Wow my 290x blk screened last night in bf3 ... eyefinity was in use. Im going to load afterburner up and makr the fan much more agressive. Ordering water block from frozencpu tomorrow.

Ok latest beta... more agressive fan profile lower temps.... played for hours no problems. Solved...

standard clocks, not going for overclocking.
and yes that is stock, with everything set on the highest qualities in and out of game.

Interesting.

What's your fan profile set to? Do you allow it to run at 100% (if it needs to)?

Dumb question potentially, but are any of you guys that are getting black screens running AMD cpu/mobos?

Just going by signatures, it seems like it's an intel cpu/mobo thing?

just installed the latest 9.5 beta driver and tested BF4.
Sadly I'm still getting black screen lockups :(

I'm really surprised to see people who have tried the latest beta and still had the problem NOT send it in for RMA.. :confused:

Dumb question potentially, but are any of you guys that are getting black screens running AMD cpu/mobos?

Just going by signatures, it seems like it's an intel cpu/mobo thing?

I had them worse on the CHV-Z and 8350 machine. I have not had any black screens after my second full format on a new drive and installing the 9.4 betas. I have not tried the 9.5 because it seems to be fine right now and I don't want to mess with it.

I'm really surprised to see people who have tried the latest beta and still had the problem NOT send it in for RMA.. :confused:

The problem with that is that AMD said it's a driver problem, and people have actually gotten back a card after they RMA'd their first card and still have the same problem.
Further more, like me, some have put on aftermarket coolers on their cards, so we can't RMA our cards that easily.

So the chip maker says it's a driver problem. At this point the resellers/AIBs are absolved of all responsibility as far as they are concerned?

If people are experiencing issues the AIBs just reiterate that it's a driver problem and AMD can just say "we're working on it".

:rolleyes:

First post, unfortunately due to an "issue" with the 290x I just received.

All of the Black Screen issues I have seen reported, result in an un-recoverable "crash". What I have been experiencing has been the following:

I use 3 1080p screens, center on HDMI (I've tried DVI, same issues), and then the others on DVI and DP. The two on DVI and DP are in portrait mode (I work from home - lots of spreadsheets).

Sometimes, (not always, at random) BF4 will start to black out my center screen for about 3 seconds, and my side screens will flash, as if it is readjusting video settings/resolutions. I find it is almost always while in a fast moving vehicle, or, switching between menus, or deploying. Also, my center monitor, has been "dimming" when the screen is black and its just my cursor, and then brightening up again once the loading screen comes up, or it goes to desktop, etc.

I have tried not using the DP monitor, tried not using HDMI (HDMI goes through an AV receiver wanna rule that out), Nothing works. Then, when i was able to duplicate the issue by redeploying, I decided to switch to windowed mode - and it stopped. Switched back, did it once, but then not again.

I will continue to run in windowed (and try border-less) mode, to see if it keeps doing it or not. Also, will run Valley benchmark for an hour or so (already did 10 minutes, no issues) But, my questions:

- Sound like my center monitor (Asus VH236H) is going dead (and just coincidence its the same day I get my 290x)?
- Milder version of the Black Screen issue?
- BF4/driver issue?

AB profile keeps card at 70C at full load on Uber mode.
Sapphire 290x, 3570K, Asrock Z77 etc.

Setup in sig

Running 9.5 driver and dell 29in 2560x1080 connected displayport

I can play csgo, crysis 3 for hours, but after 10 mins of bf4 the screen goes black. The system doesn't crash, the monitor says it lost connection. If I alt tab and power cycle the monitor I can get to the desktop and ccc says it lost connection to the monitor.

The gpu, monitor and game are new. I'm not sure what to blame the problem on. Is it a gpu problem? Is there something wrong with the monitor? Is it a bf4 problem?

I'm getting black screens, I have 4770K also. It appears to happen after a few hours of intense gaming. Any advice?

Try one or more of the following

cooling room temp a little
increasing case airflow/prevent warm air getting back into the case
increasing the gfx fan speed
increasing vgpu
decreasing video memory speed

Try one or more of the following

cooling room temp a little
increasing case airflow/prevent warm air getting back into the case
increasing the gfx fan speed
increasing vgpu
decreasing video memory speed

Thank you, will try some of these. After doing more digging and contacting XFX (my AIB card), they claim the blackscreen is almost always caused by the PSU, as the 290x can easily "overload" the 6 and 8 pin line. He recommended I try different rails/cables on my PSU so I'm gonna try that also. I have the 1000W new Fatal1ty PSU though so I hope thats not an issue.

I have seen blackscreen issues due to driver bugs (fully repeatable if I run NFS Rivals or Heaven benchmark fullscreen, both work fine Windowed) and memory failure.
Memory failure can be due to heat or lack of voltage on the memory controller (this is part of the GPU so increasing GPU voltage may help)
Reducing the memory speed can help because it reduces the temperature and voltage needs.

You can still have memory failure caused by heat even if the memory isnt running very hot.
As silicon increases in temp, its minimum voltage requirement increases.
If it was stable before, now isnt and temps have risen a bit, increasing Vgpu may help.

Oddly enough, this has started occurring again for me. After a month or so of not running into it, it suddenly started again. I've updated to the latest driver but no go.

the only time I receive this black screen error is when my Memory OC is un-stable. other than that I haven't gotten it un-expectedly.

Hate to necro-bump but I figured this was a good thread to post in.

I'm running a Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X and I am getting a black screen, but not when gaming. I game in full screen, but my black screen issue is very random. It happens when idle in the OS.. I come back to my computer and it looks like the monitor turned off (after its set time) but nothing I do will 'wake' the monitor. I've determined that it the OS is functioning, I can hear sounds sometimes but the monitor is just in standby.. black. I have to hard boot to fix the issue :/

Any thoughts?

Note : No overclock running resulted in the same thing happening.

When it happens, try changing the active display device in case it has disabled yours due to power saving issues.
You can do it without an active display like this:

Windows key + P
left or right arrow once or twice, enter.

Practice when it is working to see what it does.

Hate to necro-bump but I figured this was a good thread to post in.

I'm running a Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X and I am getting a black screen, but not when gaming. I game in full screen, but my black screen issue is very random. It happens when idle in the OS.. I come back to my computer and it looks like the monitor turned off (after its set time) but nothing I do will 'wake' the monitor. I've determined that it the OS is functioning, I can hear sounds sometimes but the monitor is just in standby.. black. I have to hard boot to fix the issue :/

Any thoughts?

Note : No overclock running resulted in the same thing happening.

Mine does the same thing. I think it started when I switched to the 14.x drivers, so it may be that if you are running them. Sometimes I can wake my system up and the monitor light comes on but it stays black (and I can use Win key + L to lock and then unlock and it comes back) and other times it is hard-locked (with the HDD light flashing periodically) and it needs to be reset.

Haven't had this issue with the active systems in signature connecting to a LCD TV via HDMI.

I just got a Sapphire R9 290X off ebay. First time I played BF4 it locked to a black screen after something near an hour, the second time I got in 10 minutes. I have to power off, even hitting reset isn't good enough.

This happened immediately after I got it, and I left the whole thing alone in quiet mode from the start. I'm contacting the seller for a return (he says he doesn't do returns on the auction page, but I bought a video card, not a black screen card). I could try to play AMD debugger, but fuck that, I'll just put my GTX 760 back in.

Reminds me why I stopped using ATI cards in the AGP days. Looks like they still haven't got their shit together. My 285, 570, and 760 all worked fine.

I just got a Sapphire R9 290X off ebay. First time I played BF4 it locked to a black screen after something near an hour, the second time I got in 10 minutes. I have to power off, even hitting reset isn't good enough.

This happened immediately after I got it, and I left the whole thing alone in quiet mode from the start. I'm contacting the seller for a return (he says he doesn't do returns on the auction page, but I bought a video card, not a black screen card). I could try to play AMD debugger, but fuck that, I'll just put my GTX 760 back in.

Reminds me why I stopped using ATI cards in the AGP days. Looks like they still haven't got their shit together. My 285, 570, and 760 all worked fine.

I havent had the black screen issue creep up since I installed the 14.4 betas.

got my card (XFX 290 Black DD) almost 2 weeks ago, installed 14.3 driver and everything was fine until yesterday when I played Diablo3. Got one black screen, after some C-A-D and task manager managed to see some D3D render error message box, managed to restart the computer. After a few hours got a driver crash popup, which seemed to recover, but then black-screened a minute later. Had to reset the computer again.

It happened to me once but since I upgraded to a RIVBE and a 4930k, it hasn't shown up since.

The BSOD during playing of youtube videos pisses me off greatly though. Only non-beta drivers are the only ones to avoid this from happening.

I havent had the black screen issue creep up since I installed the 14.4 betas.

I'm not paying a ton of money to be their fucking beta tester. No official drivers for 5 months while there is a glaring problem? They can fuck off with that, this doesn't happen when I use Nvidia cards.

I'm not paying a ton of money to be their fucking beta tester. No official drivers for 5 months while there is a glaring problem? They can fuck off with that, this doesn't happen when I use Nvidia cards.

I completely agree. Months of black screen issues, without an official fix is patently absurd. Though I've only been an AMD owner for over a week, It is incredibly discouraging(to put it mildly) that they've taken this long to fix such a show-stopping issue.

Sorry for the necro but did AMD ever fix the blackscreen issue? I have a R290 I gave up on, if the issue is fixed it could still see some use.

Sorry for the necro but did AMD ever fix the blackscreen issue? I have a R290 I gave up on, if the issue is fixed it could still see some use.

If your card have such an issue, RMA it.
There was a fix implemented which worked but those with such an issue (black screens) have a defective card. Its evidently some mess up with the hardware somewhere that caused this. I seen people done rma and then got cards that worked just fine.

its a hardware issue NOT software.

Back