• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

R9 290x black screen

I really don't understand comments like "I have no idea what is wrong, I am just going to buy nvidia" If you don't know what's wrong why blame amd?
Not to mention the 6990 is like 3 generations old, and likely has no bearing on todays product lines what so ever.

Stfu dude crapping on my reply. I have no idea whatvit is and my comment about nvidia hasnt got shit to do with your fan boyism. I made that cimment because im ready to buy an upgrade cuz the 6990 is old. I was sayin id be cool with 780s as well as r9 and dont know how much tshootin I wanna do.

Also in case you didnt allow your brain to fire correctly and use thought if my 6990 is also doing it while using the latest drivers maybe theres a fuckin coincidence that the drivers might be a prob across the board.

posted from cell. Excuse typos.
 
One thing I can tell you for sure is you need to simmer down. There was nothing I said that warranted you coming out swinging.
 
People having the black screen as described by the OP, how many games have you seen it in?

Also, if you get a black screen and you power off\power on again, do you tend to find you don't have another black screen until the card gets cold?

I have a pattern now, BF4 will crash in about 4-5 minutes me turning my computer on. Then i power it off\power on, and i can play for an hour or more without issue.
 
I've only seen it happen to me with Final Fantasy XIV and BF4. Games like Dota 2, LoL, and Source Engine games don't seem to run into this issue. After the black screen, I turn off and back on my computer and I can resume whatever I needed to do.

Oddly enough, I've yet to run into this issue on full screen mode. I'm really hoping it'll be a driver fix
 
Just for the sake of completeness. I have not tried to run my games in windowed mode. I've been playing Infinite tonight for ages. Can't make it crash.

BF4 goes down all the time though. Definitely seen it in Dishonoured too, which is Unreal engine i think..
 
hey itsbranden, have you tried playing in just full screen mode and see how long it takes to crash?
 
hey itsbranden, have you tried playing in just full screen mode and see how long it takes to crash?
No I haven't played full-screen because I run dual monitors- for the sake of testing I will try it out.
Also it looks like AMD released a new 13.11 Beta 9 driver so I'll be installing that and will report back tomorrow.
 
For you guys having black screens in windowed mode (borderless):

1) do you have Hynix or Elpida memory?
2) DO YOU HAVE OVERDRIVE ENABLED OR DISABLED?

I just ran heaven 4.0 for about 50 minutes windowed and didn't get a black screen. (Hynix, overdrive disabled, overclocking through afterburner only, 1100/1400).

95% sure these black screens are memory related. Only time I ever got a black screen was when I tried overclocking the memory through OVERDRIVE (to 1500 MHz), which was FINE in windows, UNTIL I restarted the computer..then it would black screen on the desktop, almost as soon as CCC loaded...
 
For you guys having black screens in windowed mode (borderless):

1) do you have Hynix or Elpida memory?
2) DO YOU HAVE OVERDRIVE ENABLED OR DISABLED?

I just ran heaven 4.0 for about 50 minutes windowed and didn't get a black screen. (Hynix, overdrive disabled, overclocking through afterburner only, 1100/1400).

95% sure these black screens are memory related. Only time I ever got a black screen was when I tried overclocking the memory through OVERDRIVE (to 1500 MHz), which was FINE in windows, UNTIL I restarted the computer..then it would black screen on the desktop, almost as soon as CCC loaded...

- People get the black screen in windows and full screen.
- People get the black screen having never overclocked the card .

This is not related.
 
I haven't seen anyone get a black screen in fullscreen at stock, with overdrive off. Everything mentioned here was borderless/windowed mode, except the person who had the card get to 92c in auto fan.

And memory type may very well matter. So far everyone who replied said they had Elpida...
 
Just chiming in. Same issue in BF4.

AMD released new drivers today...but don't get excited, the issue presists.

4770k
XFX R9 290x
Asus Maximus IV Hero
Corsair AX1200 PSU

This never happened with my 580 SLI setup.

My solution? Returning this AMD POS to amazon and buying a 780 Ti.
 
you are gonna be pissed when bf4 still causes issues, there are a ton of issues that are bf4 related not AMD or Nvidia.

but cool you instantly believe it's amd causing it because of all the bullshit people have posted on the internet over the years about amd sucking.
 
you are gonna be pissed when bf4 still causes issues, there are a ton of issues that are bf4 related not AMD or Nvidia.

but cool you instantly believe it's amd causing it because of all the bullshit people have posted on the internet over the years about amd sucking.

Well that was an intelligent response.

All I know is that I play with 580 SLI as long as I want without issues. I switch to 290x and I can't play for longer than 10 minutes.

While there may be alot of misinformation out there...I know the above to be a fact.
 
I will refrain from insulting you back, thanks though.

so all you know is you switched video cards and a brand new game from a company notorious for releasing games before they are ready for prime time(that has been updating it every few days it seems), the first thing that pops into your head is "AMD POS video card"

that doesn't seem to follow logic to me.
 
I will refrain from insulting you back, thanks though.

so all you know is you switched video cards and a brand new game from a company notorious for releasing games before they are ready for prime time(that has been updating it every few days it seems), the first thing that pops into your head is "AMD POS video card"

that doesn't seem to follow logic to me.

I have the same issue with Bioshock Infinite when playing in Borderless Windowed mode.
It's an issue with either the driver or the card itself, and it's not overheating.
I uploaded a video of the problem yesterday along with a screenshot of temps just seconds before the black screen. I'm closing in on the 30 day mark with this thing- holding out for a bit more before calling it quits and returning for a GTX :(
 
I have the same issue with Bioshock Infinite when playing in Borderless Windowed mode.
It's an issue with either the driver or the card itself, and it's not overheating.
I uploaded a video of the problem yesterday along with a screenshot of temps just seconds before the black screen. I'm closing in on the 30 day mark with this thing- holding out for a bit more before calling it quits and returning for a GTX :(

Can you please confirm if you see the crash in full screen on both those games? Please take the time to check and report back, i think it's an important point.
 
And please run the memory checker tool and post if you have Hynix or Elpida RAM on the card.
 
Could you guys try downclocking the memory and see if that helps?
 
For you guys having black screens in windowed mode (borderless):

1) do you have Hynix or Elpida memory?
2) DO YOU HAVE OVERDRIVE ENABLED OR DISABLED?

I just ran heaven 4.0 for about 50 minutes windowed and didn't get a black screen. (Hynix, overdrive disabled, overclocking through afterburner only, 1100/1400).

95% sure these black screens are memory related. Only time I ever got a black screen was when I tried overclocking the memory through OVERDRIVE (to 1500 MHz), which was FINE in windows, UNTIL I restarted the computer..then it would black screen on the desktop, almost as soon as CCC loaded...

I used that memory checker program you posted.

It's Elpdia memory and I have overdrive disabled.
 
Thanks. still need more feedback.

So is it elpida memory causing all of these blackscreens?
 
Club 3D 290X here, getting black screen crashes with sound looping until I restart the pc. Had a 690tgx for over a year without a single problem.

I run a 2500k was océd but at stock now nothing else has changed on the pc just this card. temps are fine (I guess.. for this card anyway) They are very random too as in I can play bf4 for 3 hours no problem but then bam it crashes. this also happens in batman origins and cod ghosts.

I run windowed full screen and yes the card has elpida vram...

If you want anymore info just ask. I'm really frustrated with this so any help would be appreciated.
 
Hi Desgaizu,

Try playing in full screen mode (no windows or borderless window) and also do you happen to run 2 or more monitors? I wanna see if there's a trend going on.

Though maybe the full screen/borderless may have nothing to do with it. It actually black screened on me earlier today while I was playing FFXIV in full screen.
 
FFXIV seems problematic sometimes.

First red flag is this brand new game telling you it's installing brand new directx... and then installs DX9.0.
 
I really think it's vitally important the people playing borderless try full screen.

I think borderless is a red herring, because i have the exact same issue but have never, ever played a game boderless in my life and only have one monitor.
 
My crashes happen on fullscreen and I only have one monitor.

It's hard to track down as I can run heaven bench overnight with no problems yet it can happen 15mins into a game or even 3 hours into a game ;_;
 
Hi,

I just registered for the forum because I have Club3D R9 290X and having the same black screen issue described in this thread in Battlefield 4 and some other games and benchmarks.

Personally I lost faith in the product because I bought it for BF4 and its just not playable, luckily I have an old GTX460 laying around so I can still play BF4 on medium without any problems.

Here are my specs:

Cpu: Intel 4670K stock, cooled by Corsair H100i
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5, latest bios F7
GPU: Club3D R9 290X, Catalyst 13.11 Beta8 and tested the latest 9.2 beta (Elpida mem)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1.5 volt
SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB
Power: Corsair RM650
OS: Windows 8.1 Pro


Made a small video where I do some other benchmarks resulting in a black screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaccFP5ZzG0&feature=em-upload_owner

Now I also did these test at 800/1000 settings done in MSI afterburner and the funny thing was that I could not reproduce a black screen with these settings. Then I turned the GPU back to default MHz en the memory to 1000, black screens again. And the other way around, 800 MHz GPU and stock memory speeds, black screens again. So the conclusion that the memory is bad doesnt go with me.

My conclusion is that the card is broken (but what wrong I dont know), I returned my card yesterday for RMA, so I'll let you know what they say.

Oh and black screens are in windowed mode and full screen mode, makes no difference, the metro and BF4 tests are all full screen.
 
I just went from a 8800GTS to a Gigabyte 280X. Occasionally just in Windows I have a black screen that flashes, it's not constant but is consistent, it will happen every 2-3 seconds. I can usually reboot and the problem goes away. If I start up BF4 the problem also goes away. This doesn't seem to be the same problem you guys are having. I have the latest beta drivers from AMD as well. I too think this is a driver related issue.
 
Can someone post to twitter and tag AMDRadeon in it with a link to this forum thread? I would but I don't have twitter..
 
i downclocked my mem 10%, seems to run fine and i haven't black screened in bf4 yet
 
Back
Top