R9 290 review @TechPowerUP

Don't even bother with tom's hardware's review.
They think they are being sent golden samples from ATI as their retail board isn't as good :rolleyes:
 
That could be something as simple as a mismounted cooler or poorly applied/too much TIM. Or maybe they bought the XFX.
 
That could be something as simple as a mismounted cooler or poorly applied/too much TIM. Or maybe they bought the XFX.
 
What the fuck is the point of a 290x? The 290 is literally at it's heels and in some tests it BEATS the 290x!? WTF? Why did I spend an extra $150 for a card that doesn't offer any extra value?
 
what the fuck is the point of a Titan or 780ti ?

suckers who gonna buy it of course;)
 
What the fuck is the point of a 290x? The 290 is literally at it's heels and in some tests it BEATS the 290x!? WTF? Why did I spend an extra $150 for a card that doesn't offer any extra value?

This also worries me. [H] needs to do a revised 290x review because this makes the 290x seem pointless especially with reference cooling. I am glad I sold one of my 290x's already but im stuck with a 2nd one that I will unfortunately not be able to get rid of.
 
The 290x is still the faster card, thou must OC it!

Also, those extra cores should come in handy as drivers mature.
 
The 290x is still the faster card, thou must OC it!

Also, those extra cores should come in handy as drivers mature.

Except there's not much OC headroom with the reference cooler which essentially means you have to spend another +$100 on a custom cooler or waterblock for it to show it's true potential. Kind of a kick in the ass in my opinion.
 
It does seem strange that there's such a small performance gap between the 290 and 290x. Unless I'm overlooking something, it makes zero sense to spend the extra $150+ on the 290x. Just having a hard time understanding AMD's pricing rationale... (not that I'm complaining)
 
It does seem strange that there's such a small performance gap between the 290 and 290x. Unless I'm overlooking something, it makes zero sense to spend the extra $150+ on the 290x. Just having a hard time understanding AMD's pricing rationale... (not that I'm complaining)


As spelled out in the review, AMD re-posititioned the card at the last minute because of the NV price drops.
 
Back
Top