• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

R9 290 is fast..

I'd imagine we'll see the same situation for the 290 / 290X as when the hot-clocked 7950s were beating stockish 7970s.
 
Oye, I usually just skip over the trolling in threads, but I have to say the trolling seems to be reaching new heights lately.

Byproduct of the gpu market being really shaken up I guess.

This happens every time, people come out to justify why their purchase was better or the shills to come out with absolute nonsense.
 
" I just got a 3dmark 11 graphics score of over 19K " Dayyyyyum! 290 with an overclock looks to be a beast of a card.
 
I think AMD likes to play around some with Nvidia as to get them to react to something as dropping the price on 780GTX and then they find a new driver laying around.. lmao

I bet the 290x is playing dumb also and just waiting for it's real driver.
 
I'd imagine we'll see the same situation for the 290 / 290X as when the hot-clocked 7950s were beating stockish 7970s.

There isn't much of a difference clock for clock between 7970 and 7950 or 6970 and 6950 or GTX680 and GTX670 or Titan and GTX780. When overclocking they all seem to hit around the same clocks as their bigger brother. I expect the same with 290.
 
This happens every time, people come out to justify why their purchase was better or the shills to come out with absolute nonsense.

Yup I agree... I'll venture to guess maybe the fire sale over at nvidia & the latter seem intimately tied.... ;)

I think AMD likes to play around some with Nvidia as to get them to react to something as dropping the price on 780GTX and then they find a new driver laying around.. lmao

I bet the 290x is playing dumb also and just waiting for it's real driver.

That's what I also wrote some days ago in another thread. It really looks like a very well planned multi-stage product release. Very well executed by AMD so far!

What a great time to be due for an upgrade! :) :) :)
 
That's what I also wrote some days ago in another thread. It really looks like a very well planned multi-stage product release. Very well executed by AMD so far!

What a great time to be due for an upgrade! :) :) :)

not planned IMO, the delayed the release of the 290 to have the new driver.
it just shows the new arc has potential even if GCN the changes they made will take time to write drivers with optimizations.

all good things tho.
 
If you remember back when Nvidia released the 480GTX .. AMD also released a driver the same day for HD58XX as my Vantage score on the 5850 jumped 1000 points as AMD was sand bagging there cards..

This is planned IMO and maybe 580GTX >HD6970 didn't set well with AMD..
 
Good. Competition is always good, and means I may have to replace my cards in less than 2 years... :)
 
If thats the case I'm not bothered that I jumped on 290x. If its any less I'll have a little buyers remorse.

I would be willing to bet that its $450 as well. That would fit the original Tahiti launch prices.

...and we all know how well that turned out.
 
I'd imagine we'll see the same situation for the 290 / 290X as when the hot-clocked 7950s were beating stockish 7970s.

Nah, the 290X will be even faster using the new drivers.

IfniLcm.jpg

ooCCj3c.jpg
 
I think AMD likes to play around some with Nvidia as to get them to react to something as dropping the price on 780GTX and then they find a new driver laying around.. lmao

I bet the 290x is playing dumb also and just waiting for it's real driver.


It would be pretty great if AMD had the 290(x) go out weaker than it was to lull nvidia/Sauron into thinking they still had this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFogXTIv3MY
 
Well I don't think it was intended, but it does seem like the card has a lot more potential at smaller resolutions then what it should have. With that said more performance is always good.

I bet anything they just wanted to get the card out the door with superb performance at uhd resolutions, I doubt we see a big push there.
 
So the 290 series is going to end up being reviewed four times. First the 290X by itself using release drivers (which we've seen), second 290X along with the 290 plain w/new performance increasing drivers, third when whatever products Nvidia launches as a response are reviewed (780Ghz and 780ti) and finally when Mantle is launched with BF4 in December.

I would not be surprised if the Never Settle Forever bundle returns either around the time the new Nvidia products are reviewed or when Mantle numbers are first announced at AMD's developer/gaming summit.

Edit:Almost forgot we're also expecting custom overclocked/cooled variants in December so that's another set of reviews.
 
So the 290 series is going to end up being reviewed four times. First the 290X by itself using release drivers (which we've seen), second 290X along with the 290 plain w/new performance increasing drivers, third when whatever products Nvidia launches as a response are reviewed (780Ghz and 780ti) and finally when Mantle is launched with BF4 in December.

I would not be surprised if the Never Settle Forever bundle returns either around the time the new Nvidia products are reviewed or when Mantle numbers are first announced at AMD's developer/gaming summit.

Edit:Almost forgot we're also expecting custom overclocked/cooled variants in December so that's another set of reviews.

I think the game bundles will come back when they actually have some excess stock to sell. Right now they can't get enough of them into the etailers as it is.
 
more things than not things, lots of things, so many things, things won't stop, things keep coming :eek:
 
With Brent saying what he is not saying, I may just end up returning the 2 Gigabyte 7950's and buying a 290 Pro instead. I cannot seem to get Ultra Fast Boot to work with both cards installed.
 
until they get a decent cooler out for these isn't it all just a waste of time reading about them?
JUNK is JUNK and the reference is major fail
 
Brent do you plan to include the 290X in your review, running on the new drivers? this is assuming the updated 290 drivers also apply to the 290X which might not be the case.
 
Ahh yes coil whine, I remember my NVIDIA 8800GT was plagued with it. Couldn't even move my mouse without hearing "reeeeeeeeee*moves mouse*REEEEEEE*stop*reeeeeeee*move*REEEEE".

You guys must have super sensitive hearing because I heard nothing. I do have some hearing loose but I have my hearing aids in, the sound turned up and still heard nothing.
 
You guys must have super sensitive hearing because I heard nothing. I do have some hearing loose but I have my hearing aids in, the sound turned up and still heard nothing.

Hearing loose, I gotta say that's probably the worst mispelling of "loss"/"lose" I have seen in a while. That being said, the reference cooler on my 290x is loud as hell and I can't wait for my waterblock to get here.

Brent, wink once if the 290x is still worth the premium over the 290, wink twice if it isn't.
:)
 
Hearing loose, I gotta say that's probably the worst mispelling of "loss"/"lose" I have seen in a while. That being said, the reference cooler on my 290x is loud as hell and I can't wait for my waterblock to get here.

Brent, wink once if the 290x is still worth the premium over the 290, wink twice if it isn't.
:)

Not with my hearing, it isn't :D The only thing that bothers me is "noone" which is not even a word at all. The fan is not what they were referring to but some sort of coil whine which I could not hear.

Yes, the fan is too noisy for me on the 290x but it will be interesting to see what they place on the 290 Pro.
 
You guys must have super sensitive hearing because I heard nothing. I do have some hearing loose but I have my hearing aids in, the sound turned up and still heard nothing.

I was actually mocking the fact that people are complaining about coil whine. It happens with almost every generation, red and green. My 8800GT was the worst though, it was just awful.
 
My first 290X had extremely loud coil whine. As in, it was noticeably louder than all of the fans of my case combined, and coil whine is not a pleasant sound. Returned to Newegg (they issued a refund since they had no replacements available), bought another one on Amazon and there's no coil whine anymore.

So it might be a problem with certain batches.
 
Considering how many cards I have owned over the last 10 years, either I have extremely good luck or extremely bad hearing. I have never had a card with coil whine. Is it possible it doesn't show up when the card is vertical vs horizontal?
 
I've had and GPUs and PSUs with coil whine over the years. It's random as far as I can tell. Some of the worst was a sli pair of 9600GT cards I had years back. I find running a burn-in for your rig at full tilt for a couple days (worst case) cures it for the most part, seems to settle the components.
 
Keep on topic people...

Speaking of which official price looks like it will be $399 :)
290x is €499 in Europe and $550 in the U.S. following the same logic €349 should be $399 for the 290.

Sapphire R9 290 €350 in Europe

vTzAS5v.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top