• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

R700 release date? Any word?

WolfpupNX

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
167
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find a lot. I've been trying to find as firm an answer as I can on the release date of the R700 (the dual-chip 4870 essentially). I had read probably late August before, but I saw a rumor it may be much sooner than that. I'm almost ready to pull the plug on a new build and would hate to do so and then immediately find out something is just around the corner in a few days. Thanks for any info.
 
it's just around the corner, if you consider 1-3 months a corner.
 
Ahhh - that's it! Grr - I hope they release more details if that's true. I think that might finally be the Crysis killer people are waiting for in a single card solution. Thanks for the link!

Heh - every time I'm ready to pull the trigger, there's always something around the corner worth waiting for. Argh. lol.

I dunno. I'll keep debating. =oP If anyone has any more info, love to hear it - otherwise, hopefully we'll hear more soon.
 
anandtech said towards the end, that we might see it sooner than later, and amd is very hard at work, so I would assume that the design is close to being final and it expect it towards the end of july the latest. AMD is going to be saved by ATi, mark my word, 2009 will be cpu comeback as well.
 
anandtech said towards the end, that we might see it sooner than later, and amd is very hard at work, so I would assume that the design is close to being final and it expect it towards the end of july the latest. AMD is going to be saved by ATi, mark my word, 2009 will be cpu comeback as well.

Hehe.

I'm selling off my intel rig pretty soon and I'm gonna end up going back to what I love. AMD/ATi. I'm hoping that the SB750 rumour where it makes phenoms hit 3.2ghz+ is true.

I can deal with a little bit of heat compared to the intel quads, to me it's no different than the guys who loved intel sticking it out with the P4's.

I think ATi/AMD saved eachother, and I really feel that within the course of the next few years it's gonna boil down to AMD vs. Intel in both GPU/CPU technologies, especially with all this talk about the fusion of the CPU/GPU.

I have been thinking about this alot lately, and I don't know where Nvidia fits in the equation. Maybe they'll purchase via and make something out of that, but that's a long ways from now. :D
 
Hey all,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and didn't find a lot. I've been trying to find as firm an answer as I can on the release date of the R700 (the dual-chip 4870 essentially). I had read probably late August before, but I saw a rumor it may be much sooner than that. I'm almost ready to pull the plug on a new build and would hate to do so and then immediately find out something is just around the corner in a few days. Thanks for any info.

Rumors point to July/August, but no one knows for sure yet.
 
I'm thinking the last week of July will be a soft release to put pressure on nVidia who will in turn lower the GTX280 to $550 (assuming it's ~= to the 4870X2 & has the benefit of being a single GPU) to the 4870X2's $500 tag. Then it will take 2 weeks for the X2 to actually hit shelves. Just a guess. Regardless, I'm buying one of them. If they are = performance and = price (+/- $50) I will get the nVidia b/c I like single cores as they don't have to work a/b scaling and you can add aftermarket cooling easy.
 
The sooner they can paper launch it, the more thunder they can steal from the GTX 280.
 
It really looks like it will kill the GTX 280 (and btw, I've been an nVidia user for years and love their products, but this thing looks truly impressive). Grrr. I suppose I could build now and sell to upgrade later. Dangit I wish eVGA made Radeon based graphics cards so I could use their stepup program.
 
anandtech said towards the end, that we might see it sooner than later, and amd is very hard at work, so I would assume that the design is close to being final and it expect it towards the end of july the latest. AMD is going to be saved by ATi, mark my word, 2009 will be cpu comeback as well.

As good as the 4800 is its only one product cycle. AMD and ATI have just never been that consistent.
 
As good as the 4800 is its only one product cycle.
True, but it's an important one, some would even say it's a crucial year for AMD's video and CPU divisions. If AMD can meet the challenges straight on and overcome, they may just have a chance to establish a more solid lead against nVidia when they release their 45nm GPUs. Hopefully, they can execute and we can finally see better pricing from both camps. ;)
 
i cant wait to have a nice crossfire setup going on with these at some point.... its gonna be so satisfying not having to use an nvidia chipset board for a powerful dual card setup.
 
aug 14th? I think.. and price, not sure.. if they come out with a 2gb version at launch, I am sure it aint going to be cheap.. I personally am looking at a 1gb card and getting another after I migrate to x48.. I think that will be plenty of video mem / horse power for my 1920x1080 gaming needs.. I am hoping msrp will be 399 on the 1gb version.. then the price gouging begins.. oye. so all bets are off there. ;)

edit: I see one mention msrp here for the 2gb version @ $549.. that seems pretty reasonable considering 2gb of ddr5. oye
 
I realize that most people have probably found this information by now. But just in case... overclockers.com has it posted ( here ) that the release date is scheduled to be Tuesday the 12th of August.

I hadn't seen that information yet. Thanks! :cool:
 
Back
Top