• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

R700.. coming soon

Well one thing that this article says "is that its based off of RV670 and R680" R680 = RV670 with some kind of chip making a bridge =! new. so according to this, the INQ claims somehow AMD screwed up on the slide that said Q2 09 next to R700, and that this chip isn't new or some how more technologically advanced than the R600 < RV670 design. Atleast thats what im coming up with, in this ATi approved article.

I call BS.
 
Well one thing that this article says "is that its based off of RV670 and R680" R680 = RV670 with some kind of chip making a bridge =! new. so according to this, the INQ claims somehow AMD screwed up on the slide that said Q2 09 next to R700, and that this chip isn't new or some how more technologically advanced than the R600 < RV670 design. Atleast thats what im coming up with, in this ATi approved article.

I call BS.

I think what they meant is "based on the time-to-market results achieved by R670 and R680" :p
 
R700 probably addresses the shortcomings with R600/RV670 (e.g. low AA and fillrate performance in comparison with nVidia's DX10 offerings) and will finally offer competitive performance with anything the other green guys can cough up. Can't wait to see the results.
 
"R700.. coming soon"

Like my high school teacher used to say: So is Christmas.
 
I wish they would hurry up and come out with something top notch so i can ditch this SLI setup and go back to crossfire on a working chipset (intel)
 
LOL who's forcing you to use an SLI setup? there are plenty of single cards that can today's games at more than acceptable performance. They will release the cards when they're done with them, or when they see fit to increase a certain quarter's revenue. You guys grovel and whine too much!
 
Don't get me wrong. I love my SLI setup, but i just hate that the 680i boards have such crappy lives. It only took me 6 weeks to burn up my first board. Had i known that the 680's were still having all these issues, i would have just bought that ultra i had my eye on at microcenter when it was on sale, and never looked back.
 
The GPU side of AMD has picked up clearly and gained some traction in recent times, so this would not surprise me, processor side of AMD are still clearly sucking.

As for the the R700 not being a entirely new GPU, all we really care about it performance, it can be made of mud for all I care.
 
From what I heard, the R700 will not be any faster than a HD2900XT or a 3870. It will just be 1 to 4 R700 cores that are scaled via CrossfireX, and the scaling completely depends upon whether Crossfire can do it or not. Of course, there will be a handful of games that most people play with that cannot scale with the current Crossfire drivers from ATI, and that does not look likely to change much at all as it has not changed much over the last 2 years.

We're basically looking at a Voodoo6 6000 with 4 cores, but with 3870 cores probably all packed into 1 die this time, fabbed at 45nm?

I'd be surprised if ATI can do it fine at 45nm, since that is what the R700 is supposed to be based upon (the R700 is supposed to owe itself to 45nm in the first place). Remember how AMD couldn't do its Athlon X2's on 65nm as well as on 90nm for a entire year? AMD still cannot do 65nm well TODAY, in fact!!!! Where's an Athlon X2 with 2MB cache on 65nm? Nowhere!
 
From what I heard, the R700 will not be any faster than a HD2900XT or a 3870. It will just be 1 to 4 R700 cores that are scaled via CrossfireX, and the scaling completely depends upon whether Crossfire can do it or not. Of course, there will be a handful of games that most people play with that cannot scale with the current Crossfire drivers from ATI, and that does not look likely to change much at all as it has not changed much over the last 2 years.

We're basically looking at a Voodoo6 6000 with 4 cores, but with 3870 cores probably all packed into 1 die this time, fabbed at 45nm?

I'd be surprised if ATI can do it fine at 45nm, since that is what the R700 is supposed to be based upon (the R700 is supposed to owe itself to 45nm in the first place). Remember how AMD couldn't do its Athlon X2's on 65nm as well as on 90nm for a entire year? AMD still cannot do 65nm well TODAY, in fact!!!! Where's an Athlon X2 with 2MB cache on 65nm? Nowhere!

And where did you happen to "hear" this from?
 
I think he was pulling his information from WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R700

According to Wiki, the R700 will be multi-GPU similar to the Voodoo card from many years past.

Now, it's all rumor, but many sources point towards ATI going from a large GPU (R600) to smaller, more efficient GPU (R670) to multi-GPU (R700) cards. This is probably what the R680 is an indication of ATI's direction.

I think an article from Inq or elsewhere came up with the rumor or suggestion that the R700 will have 3 or 4 cards based on this design. The low-end card will have a single GPU while the high-end card will have 3 or 4 GPUs.
 
well if they are able to decrease the performance hit they take on fsaa and filtering with the r700 over the r6x0 tech they should be in good shape.

I'm upgrading my gpu for age of conan and if this does come out in may i might go with this instead of whatever they release this month
 
One of the problems with the R600 it was just too damn big, moving to a smaller core with less transistors they should be able to fix alot of things.
 
mabye they will increase the rops ?

anyway if this is based off the r680 then mabye they will remove some redudant stuff from both chips and the cross chip that lets the two communicate.

will be interesting to see what happens
 
R700 probably addresses the shortcomings with R600/RV670 (e.g. low AA and fillrate performance in comparison with nVidia's DX10 offerings) and will finally offer competitive performance with anything the other green guys can cough up. Can't wait to see the results.

Well, that would not be enough though. Think about it, if R700 offers the performance of the G80/G92 and will be released in Q2 2007, well that means that by then Nvida will have something even better out :(
 
eh the R680 (Dual 3870 gpu) will be out in feb, so I'd assume the R700 will have to have a bit better performance. Who knows though.
 
eh the R680 (Dual 3870 gpu) will be out in feb, so I'd assume the R700 will have to have a bit better performance. Who knows though.

I really hope that it will not run hot, unlike Nvidia, I think that ATI can accomplish this, still faith in Goo Ol ATi.
 
Well, that would not be enough though. Think about it, if R700 offers the performance of the G80/G92 and will be released in Q2 2007, well that means that by then Nvida will have something even better out :(

I have a feeling that each r700 core will be as powerfull as the 2900. The two together should be fast enough to keep with what nvidia has .
 
I have a feeling that each r700 core will be as powerfull as the 2900.
Unless I have the whole nomenclature wrong, that would describe the performance of R680 (2xRV670). The R700 core should (hopefully) well exceed the performance of R600 (HD2900).
 
Well, the only thing that has me worried about this is they are still using the transistor happy/power hungry Vec5 design of the R600, I hope they use something similar to what Nv is using, I think spreading that along multiple chips would be the most beneficial and not adding old technology in multiples...
 
I agree. A single core R700 should exceed a single core R600 or derivative chip. I believe two cores will only catch them up. But AMD will need quad core R700 to beat Nvidia's next generation marchitecture.
 
I agree. A single core R700 should exceed a single core R600 or derivative chip. I believe two cores will only catch them up. But AMD will need quad core R700 to beat Nvidia's next generation marchitecture.

Which is what the early rumors seem to indicate (4 or more cores). Each R700 core must be faster, especially in AA and AF situations, in order to keep up with the beast that will be G100.
 
Unless I have the whole nomenclature wrong, that would describe the performance of R680 (2xRV670). The R700 core should (hopefully) well exceed the performance of R600 (HD2900).

I'm not sure

I believe the R680 combined is faster than the 2900 . Most likely by a decent margin .

I believe the r700 each chip is faster than the 2900 and two of them is much faster.

Moving further out in the dev cycles of games we will see them target multi gpus like they are now targeting multi core cpus . I believe both camps are going to push multi chip single board designs as it will be cheaper and easier to cool than 1 single large chip gpu .
 
R700 will be a multiple GPU architecture. Will not be CrossFire on a card. The architecture is being designed from the ground up to be "multiple GPU." Engineers at ATI have also told me specifically that AA is "fixed."

Hopefully this will clear up some of the rumors. As you know, we bat about 1000 when it comes to this kind of information. If I tell you more now, I will have to kill you.
 
I believe the R680 combined is faster than the 2900 . Most likely by a decent margin .

You can count on the R680 being 1.7X to 2X faster than R670. Scaling is looking great in DX9, DX10 a bit more shaky but there are certainly games that it excels at in DX10. Certainly more mature drivers will come.

On R680, and it being a dual GPU card, one of the biggest advantages we are seeing is that it will idle around 45w, but will capable of up to 200w operation when fully utilized.

Count on it coming in around the price of the cheapest 8800 GTX currently at Newegg.
 
All-in-all sounds like a product worth waiting for. Finally, some strong competition on the higher end of the spectrum.
 
Go AMD! I'm really excited about this product. I may switch back to ATi for the first time since my x1900xtx (7 graphics cards ago for me). I love the idea of getting back onto an Intel motherboard. Quadfire on an X38 sounds nice.
 
Yikes Like 2 gpu's per side on a pcboard? That would give 4 cores, could be some wild cooling on that graphics card!
 
Go AMD! I'm really excited about this product. I may switch back to ATi for the first time since my x1900xtx (7 graphics cards ago for me). I love the idea of getting back onto an Intel motherboard. Quadfire on an X38 sounds nice.

7 video cards? :eek: I've had ONE since the x19xx generation.
 
7 video cards? :eek: I've had ONE since the x19xx generation.

I loved my 1900XTX, but I had to try multi-gpu so I got the 7950gx2. Then an 8800GTS 640, then 2nd, then a pair of 8800GTs and now a pair of GTS 512s.

It's a cheap hobby compared to my cars.
 
I loved my 1900XTX, but I had to try multi-gpu so I got the 7950gx2. Then an 8800GTS 640, then 2nd, then a pair of 8800GTs and now a pair of GTS 512s.

It's a cheap hobby compared to my cars.

You make me feel poor :p
 
Don't Thread Crap. This is your last warning on rules violations. - Kyle

Back to topic, have you heard what Kyle recently said today about R700's benefits? NO CROSSFIRE SCALING!!! It will be purely hardware scaling (multiple R700 cores will be fully "integrated" with each other), with fixed AA this time around!
 
r700 sounds pretty innovative but in a way when you look at ityou can't help but think 3dfx were doing something very similar 8 years ago. Maybe not exactly the same but the basic principle of several less powerful cores instead of one superpowerful core is intact.

I dunno if they wree ahead of their time or not, just seems strange to see this idea seemingly being brought back along with sli and crossfire in recent years. And before anyone says it yes im aware gpu's are already made up of smaller units. Not the same as what ati are attempting though.
 
Yeah, 3dfx was romantic.... (LOL --wish there were a smiley face to express laughter, not just that damn grinning teeth!) anyway,

Anybody remember that website www.3dfxmania.com ???????? It changed to www.3dfiles.com later on in 2000 or 2001 or maybe earlier that than. And then it got taken over by Gamespot who purchased it some years later. Business, as usual...

Yeah, Voodoo2 SLI was romantic and the only thing, the real deal for rich spoiled guys. I actually got motion sickness from playing the original Half Life and Sin on Voodoo2 SLI for the first time ever (but quickly got accustomed to super-fast fluid 3-D gameplay). And I'm sure you're aware that Nvidia bought poor dear 3dfx and used their SLI trademark, right?!?

And ATI still did it with Rage Fury MAXX (dual separate cores on a card), the same as they are doing now with 3870X2. No wonder ATI came out with that 9700 Pro thunderfuck! Let's pray that ATI will do that again someday... .
 
And where did you happen to "hear" this from?

Ok, here's an awesome source: www.fudzilla.com It's founded by Fuad Abazovic (the main guy who left theinquirer.com) and it is one of the best sources of rumors and latest disclosures. Occasionally, some other website might give you info a day or 2 earlier but what harm is waiting 1 or 2 days to know everything, since almost everything is up on fudzilla.com.. it's actually better than what the Inquirer was, with slightly improved benchmarks (still awful, though...).

Not to get on Kyle's nerves, but I think Kyle's starting to compete with Fuad Abazovic by telling "undisclosed" news on future cards (see the article on 9800GX2 on HardOCP main page).. and today's recent post releasing much-appreciated info. on R700 not being limited by Crossfire scaling and AA bug, on this very thread.

Awesome, dude! :cool:
 
Back
Top