• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

r520 release date and DoD:S

Attean

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
697
Anyone else think they could be releasing DoD:S and the Lost Coast (after a seemingly unendurable wait) intentionally, to be coupled with an ad campaign for ATI? Is ati still partnered with valve?
 
no relation at all whatsoever.... *maybe* lost coast will coincide with r520, but DoD:S definitely has nothing to do with r520.
 
I heard that rumor about Lost Coast. The theory is that Lost Coast uses SM3.0 and there are no ATI cards that can run it.

Take that info with a grain of salt, because I think i heard it from the Inq. As far as DOD:S, it's just frickin late.
 
PRIME1 said:
I heard that rumor about Lost Coast. The theory is that Lost Coast uses SM3.0 and there are no ATI cards that can run it.

The Lost Coast level si basically a tech demo to show of the source engines true potential, but (and maybe I read you wrongly) the map HAS a 3.0 path but also has a 2.0 path etc etc.
 
PRIME1 said:
I heard that rumor about Lost Coast. The theory is that Lost Coast uses SM3.0 and there are no ATI cards that can run it.

Take that info with a grain of salt, because I think i heard it from the Inq. As far as DOD:S, it's just frickin late.

I think your getting confused with HDR which Valve has already commented that it will be supported both a low and high quality for both ati and nvidia (nvidia having the fp16 high and ati not)

How the actual difference looks between the two obviously is still yet to be seen. (Low quality but with AA, high quality without)
 
tornadotsunamilife said:
The Lost Coast level si basically a tech demo to show of the source engines true potential, but (and maybe I read you wrongly) the map HAS a 3.0 path but also has a 2.0 path etc etc.


given the large chunk of change exchanged between ATI and valve would you put it over valve to hold the release of this level for ATI? I wouldnt. They've been very slow with it even though it seemed apparently done months ago with the videos from it.
 
Shifra said:
given the large chunk of change exchanged between ATI and valve would you put it over valve to hold the release of this level for ATI? I wouldnt. They've been very slow with it even though it seemed apparently done months ago with the videos from it.

Valve is not losing any money by delaying Lost Coast. If they want to maintain a good business relationship with ATI, it would make sense to delay it.

However they could make money off of DoD:S, so it's my guess that's just plain late.

If neither are free with my "collectors edition" of HL2, then they both suck ;)
 
If I had to guess, I bet it's a little bit of both. I talked to the valve designer who did most of the layout for the Lost Coast at e3 and as the video of this absolutely amazing level was being shown, he was talking about how disgusted he was with it. But I wouldn't doubt after Valve is OCD about quality that they aren't stupid about making money and it would only make sense to delay a technology based level to coincide with a business partners release dates. I hadn't heard any rumors of this but it just crossed my mind since DoD:S seems to of been delayed to ADD the new hdr capabilities of the source engine to it so I thought hey maybe they just pushed both projects back a few weeks to coincide.

It will be free Prime1.
 
Back
Top