R5 2600 or i5 6600k

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
Yes one of these threads again. Doing an htpc/ living room casual gamer. Going Itx for the first time with the Phanteks evolv Itx.

I have a line on a 6600k combo. Which would leave me a little room in my budget to get an air cooler and maybe an extra 140mm fan.

Or I have been interested in doing an R5 2600 build, with one of the cheaper B450 Itx boards (gigabyte maybe but they seem to have fallen off). This setup would be ran on the stock cooler for a while as it maxes my budget.

I have $400 for the CPU/Mobo/ram.

Either setup will have 16gb of 3200 (hopefully a good choice for and)

GPU will be a GTX 1060 6gb. Main games will be BFV and Black Ops 4. Probably at 1080p

If you have a discrete GPU seems the 2600 would be better assuming a similar price for all.

i'd go with the msi b450 gaming plus or asrock fatality b450 gaming mitx boards.. both are under 120(msi on amazon and asrock on newegg). if it saves you money i'd just go with ddr4 3000.. the performance difference is negligible but the price can be pretty big. you can also sometimes find ddr4 2800 that'll overclock to 2933 as well i just haven't paid much attention to them so i don't know the exact brands/models that do. stock cooler is all you're really going to need if you're not overclocking.. amd did a really good job with the coolers for ryzen.

The 6600K would be fine but it's only 4 threads.. I would go AMD.

If i were you i'd go with a 1600/1700 and b350/x370 board. You can generally find these much cheaper than the alternatives especially if you buy used. Then put the extra money into your gpu.

Then again i see a couple listings for the 2600 on ebay for $150 brand new.

i'd go with the msi b450 gaming plus or asrock fatality b450 gaming mitx boards.. both are under 120(msi on amazon and asrock on newegg). if it saves you money i'd just go with ddr4 3000.. the performance difference is negligible but the price can be pretty big. you can also sometimes find ddr4 2800 that'll overclock to 2933 as well i just haven't paid much attention to them so i don't know the exact brands/models that do. stock cooler is all you're really going to need if you're not overclocking.. amd did a really good job with the coolers for ryzen.
So it seems like the consensus is to go AMD. As far as the quote here I read the other day people warning others to stay away from MSI for ryzen, that they were using inferior components. It was around here somewhere.

As far as ram it seems like you can get 3200 for $150, and theres not much cheaper than that unless its 2400, or something junky like patriot.

I'll look around but thats what I am seeing.

I thought about going 1600/1700 but like the new features of Ryzen 2, plus newer chipsets hopefully worked out some of the kinks. At $159 new the 2600 sounds like a beast.

So it seems like the consensus is to go AMD. As far as the quote here I read the other day people warning others to stay away from MSI for ryzen, that they were using inferior components. It was around here somewhere.

As far as ram it seems like you can get 3200 for $150, and theres not much cheaper than that unless its 2400, or something junky like patriot.

I'll look around but thats what I am seeing.

I thought about going 1600/1700 but like the new features of Ryzen 2, plus newer chipsets hopefully worked out some of the kinks. At $159 new the 2600 sounds like a beast.

with the 300 series i'd 100% agree to stay away from MSI boards. the 400 series they fixed most of the issues they had. most of the complaints i've read about 400 series msi boards come from people trying to run 2700x's on bottom of the barrel b450 boards with no vrm heatsinks.

as far as ram goes watch sales prices.. last month they had a ton of ram drop under 130 bucks for ddr4 3200 and some ddr4 3000 below 120.

with the 300 series i'd 100% agree to stay away from MSI boards. the 400 series they fixed most of the issues they had. most of the complaints i've read about 400 series msi boards come from people trying to run 2700x's on bottom of the barrel b450 boards with no vrm heatsinks.

as far as ram goes watch sales prices.. last month they had a ton of ram drop under 130 bucks for ddr4 3200 and some ddr4 3000 below 120.
Good to know thanks, I want to squeeze in the Asus ROG ITX board, it just looks so much nicer than the others.

Any ram to stay away from with Ryzen? I was thinking going with Gskill they have been good to me.

Ryzen 2600 easily. I5 6600K was getting outdated when it was new and now even more so. 4 core 4 thread CPU's in this day and age are a bad idea as games are getting more and more threaded. It does have more raw horsepower than Ryzen so it has bigger peak FPS but when it has to do more intense physics and AI calculations in games that make use of more threads the fps nosedives quickly on Sky/Kabylake i5's where Ryzen chugs on forward with stable framerates. Now if this were i7 and you are a gamer only then Intel may be a better purchase, but old i5 is a big hell no.

Ryzen 2600 easily. I5 6600K was getting outdated when it was new and now even more so. 4 core 4 thread CPU's in this day and age are a bad idea as games are getting more and more threaded. It does have more raw horsepower than Ryzen so it has bigger peak FPS but when it has to do more intense physics and AI calculations in games that make use of more threads the fps nosedives quickly on Sky/Kabylake i5's where Ryzen chugs on forward with stable framerates. Now if this were i7 and you are a gamer only then Intel may be a better purchase, but old i5 is a big hell no.

Yeah not sure what I was thinking lol, well I know it was about money. I've been eyeing ryzen for a while. This will be my first AMD since the 1055t. Sadly doesn't seem like clocks have changed a whole lot since then lol.

Back