R.U.S.E. Beta

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Anyone else get in on it? Played a round just now and it was a complete blast. Barely won, but it was a good fight. Learning the interface etc while playing was probably not the best idea but I pulled out a narrow victory. I did not mess around too much with the actual Ruses until the end after learning the units etc. My opponent was using them a lot, and I can see how they are useful. Several times I would lose sight of all of his units as they went camouflaged, or he dropped into radio silence so I could see units but I was not sure which ones I needed to put my units at first. Made it very tactical.

After seeing those two ruses in the trailers etc facing them means a little more.

So far shaping up to be a great game...but only one round played for now sadly. Game also worked perfectly with EyeFinity.

Anyone else get in on it? Played a round just now and it was a complete blast. Barely won, but it was a good fight. Learning the interface etc while playing was probably not the best idea but I pulled out a narrow victory. I did not mess around too much with the actual Ruses until the end after learning the units etc. My opponent was using them a lot, and I can see how they are useful. Several times I would lose sight of all of his units as they went camouflaged, or he dropped into radio silence so I could see units but I was not sure which ones I needed to put my units at first. Made it very tactical.

After seeing those two ruses in the trailers etc facing them means a little more.

So far shaping up to be a great game...but only one round played for now sadly. Game also worked perfectly with EyeFinity.

I'm in an as well, and other than the nasty sound bug (All sounds are entirely too low), it's fun. I think this is going to be a winner.

First time in a long time I can say, Jesus christ, there might be too many units.

Getting a hang of the controls as well, but damn the engine is hot. :D

I really don't understand the P.O.I.N.T. of all these G.A.M.E.S. with F.A.K.E acronyms just copying F.E.A.R. because that was actually a pretty G.O.O.D.G.A.M.E. :rolleyes:

I'm in an as well, and other than the nasty sound bug (All sounds are entirely too low), it's fun. I think this is going to be a winner.

First time in a long time I can say, Jesus christ, there might be too many units.

Getting a hang of the controls as well, but damn the engine is hot. :D

Hmm, I wondered why it seemed a little quiet. I only had time for one quick round before I had to go to bed.

Yeah, I did not watch the video and jumped right in. Took about 15 min to get the hang of where things are. The build options are simplistic but not crap. I love being able to build what I want or research it at any point. Focuses the whole game on how you use your units and deceptions.

The game just felt that much more realistic due to the way it plays out. Great graphics too. And a total blast in eyefinity lmao.

Only problem I had was the other guy who was hosting had some lag issues. Every 15 - 20 seconds it would lag out for 5 seconds. I am glad though that I was still able to issue commands while he was lagging. That was fantastic. It also gave me some time to study the board.

The round started off slowly and once we clashed the battle just escalated to a nice finish. Most fun I think I have had in an RTS since Home World 2 way back when. I cannot wait to get some more rounds in tonight and as they expand the beta...

I really don't understand the P.O.I.N.T. of all these G.A.M.E.S. with F.A.K.E acronyms just copying F.E.A.R. because that was actually a pretty G.O.O.D.G.A.M.E. :rolleyes:

Thread crap elsewhere if you please sir. Its just a title with some periods in it. Doesnt really mean anything. Like F.E.A.R. means nothing.

F.E.A.R. actually means First Encounter Assault Recon.

But back on-topic, I only played in a hosted game by myself as my Internet connection wasn't working this morning, but I was impressed by the graphics. It's like Supreme Commander's zoom system, but much smoother and more detailed.

Is there an NDA? If there isn't, I'll post some screenshots.

F.E.A.R. actually means First Encounter Assault Recon.

But back on-topic, I only played in a hosted game by myself as my Internet connection wasn't working this morning, but I was impressed by the graphics. It's like Supreme Commander's zoom system, but much smoother and more detailed.

Is there an NDA? If there isn't, I'll post some screenshots.

I stand corrected. However irrelevant to this thread it the original complaint was.

Hmm, can you add bots to the self hosted games? That would be neat.

The graphics are great. I love the map style. Sup Com was the last RTS I could get into. I loved the mass units for big battles, but in the end it was too similar to the other styles. Unless you disable them it was a rush to the special units or nukes removing most of the strategy.

I have had some issues getting stuck in laggy games unable to quit as it would not register my surrender. They need to get the hosting system up so that we can get on servers near us instead of across the planet hehe.

Had to quit two earlier before getting one that would work. And that one was another great game. My build style led me to think I had lost after 15 minutes. Was holding my own but his units kept pushing in and he captures several of my depots. Then most of his units turned into decoys and I was able to switch tactics and pulled out a 40% win. Once we passed the halfway point I had a bombing fleet and he had nothing to defend against it so I took everything out and my land units were able to push hi back.

First half was very hectic with low funds and few units. Second half I had plenty of funds and units hehe. The setup of the game with simple build menu really forces the game play into your tactics and deployment, finally. Rushing is not even a problem, as its so simple for you to do back and defend against.

I dont know if there is an NDA built into the agreement for the beta. Been meaning to look but its been too busy here. I would make a video of it if I didnt lag too hard. Such a fun game. Timed rounds makes it more fun as well.

I stand corrected. However irrelevant to this thread it the original complaint was.

Hmm, can you add bots to the self hosted games? That would be neat.

The graphics are great. I love the map style. Sup Com was the last RTS I could get into. I loved the mass units for big battles, but in the end it was too similar to the other styles. Unless you disable them it was a rush to the special units or nukes removing most of the strategy.

I have had some issues getting stuck in laggy games unable to quit as it would not register my surrender. They need to get the hosting system up so that we can get on servers near us instead of across the planet hehe.

Had to quit two earlier before getting one that would work. And that one was another great game. My build style led me to think I had lost after 15 minutes. Was holding my own but his units kept pushing in and he captures several of my depots. Then most of his units turned into decoys and I was able to switch tactics and pulled out a 40% win. Once we passed the halfway point I had a bombing fleet and he had nothing to defend against it so I took everything out and my land units were able to push hi back.

First half was very hectic with low funds and few units. Second half I had plenty of funds and units hehe. The setup of the game with simple build menu really forces the game play into your tactics and deployment, finally. Rushing is not even a problem, as its so simple for you to do back and defend against.

I dont know if there is an NDA built into the agreement for the beta. Been meaning to look but its been too busy here. I would make a video of it if I didnt lag too hard. Such a fun game. Timed rounds makes it more fun as well.

I don't believe there's an NDA. I never agreed to one anywhere, and I've gone back and looked. No NDA required for FP, from Ubi , etc. If there's one, it's the most quiet NDA I've encountered.

As for the game, I was able to play about 5 matches last night, both 1v1s and 2v2s. The game is a winner. It's the RTS that I've been really wanting for such a long time. The economy is simple, yet meaningful. There's literally hundreds of different units and options. (If you haven't, check the tabs at your base buildings on particular units for upgrades). Infantry is important, LoS is most important.

The RUSEs add another tactical layer to the game. They can be used to boost production through "blitz," hiding units, providing false information.

The game oozes quality from the maps and the engine to the ideas in the game.

It's probably going to get a vote from me for one of my favorite strategy games of all time, and that's saying something.

im on the Beta Elios is my name on Steam friend me and ill play there seems to be lack of people to play 2v2

so I´ve got the beta key but I´m not sure where to enter it...:/

so I´ve got the beta key but I´m not sure where to enter it...:/

If you've got a key like RUSE-xx.... from a website go to: www.rusegame.com/vipbeta (I just checked and that didn't appear to be up right now... not sure what the deal is).
and they will email you a steam activation key. You'll need to setup a ubi-soft account.
Take that key to Steam and 'Activate a product on Steam' in the my games page to start the download.

If you can't get onto the UbiSoft page to send your invite code they have a thread in the steam forums asking people to:
Please CONTACT US(mailto:[email protected]), with subject [RUS] RUSE VIP Beta : Steam Key Not Received, and specify your VIP code (ie: RUSE-XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX). We will provide you with your key.

I have not seen the unit upgrades yet, good to know :D Interface is so simple (not consolised simple but functional simple) that I passed over those tabs lol.

Played 4 rounds now, and I found the heavy tank busters insanely powerful. Could have been ugpraded but I was carpet bombing a group of 6 with 5 bombers, 3 regular heavy jumbo tanks and 2 medium tanks, I kill none of them and lost all of my ground units :eek:

I need to look into the upgrades, that might have helped my heavy tanks at least kill one of them O_O Still a little OP IMO but again, they could have been highly upgraded.

I love the graphics and engine.

Is there a way to disable the MIC? Its always on be default apparently. The guy with the tank busters heard me cussing and he raped my base lol. And someone else heard me humming to the music I was listening too.

I'll grap some screen shots next game and post them since theres no NDA.

I got in a few rounds (all 1v1) tonight.

A couple of thoughts:
I like the points system and timed battles, it keeps the game moving, no endless stalemate. It probably will encourage defensive play, and in the few battles I've played, there hasn't been a major downside to hunkering down with just a few close by supply points.
In my first win, I actually had a much weaker economy than my opponent, but he couldn't punch through my 88s which racked up a ton of armor and aircraft kills to give me the win.
In the last game, I was down most of the game until I played a whole series of ruse cards to punch through the tank killer + AA + artillery group he setup in his home base.

I hope there will be some tweaking of when in a game those close supply depots start to run out to push people to be a bit more aggressive before the final few minutes of a match.

The Ruse cards have a measurable impact on the game when played right. I used terror + radio silence with some decoys leading the way on my last game to sneak up on and route a big stack of artillery and anti-tank guarding a river crossing. Though by the mid to late game, I seem to have an excess of cards available; as I get more familiar with the game, I'll probably find uses for them in the early game, but right now I don't really have the sense that they're 'special powers' that need to be used sparingly and in conjunction with solid tactics.

I got in a few rounds (all 1v1) tonight.

A couple of thoughts:
I like the points system and timed battles, it keeps the game moving, no endless stalemate. It probably will encourage defensive play, and in the few battles I've played, there hasn't been a major downside to hunkering down with just a few close by supply points.
In my first win, I actually had a much weaker economy than my opponent, but he couldn't punch through my 88s which racked up a ton of armor and aircraft kills to give me the win.
In the last game, I was down most of the game until I played a whole series of ruse cards to punch through the tank killer + AA + artillery group he setup in his home base.

I hope there will be some tweaking of when in a game those close supply depots start to run out to push people to be a bit more aggressive before the final few minutes of a match.

The Ruse cards have a measurable impact on the game when played right. I used terror + radio silence with some decoys leading the way on my last game to sneak up on and route a big stack of artillery and anti-tank guarding a river crossing. Though by the mid to late game, I seem to have an excess of cards available; as I get more familiar with the game, I'll probably find uses for them in the early game, but right now I don't really have the sense that they're 'special powers' that need to be used sparingly and in conjunction with solid tactics.

Early game winner RUSEs : Blitz - quicker income
Camo nets- Hide the buildings early so the opponent can't build the proper counters.
Spy - No explanation needed there.

I just played a good round with someone, most fun I have had in an actual RTS online since HW2.

I went with decoy's off the bat and just sent them all over the map. Then I put my 3 real tanks across the front and he just retreated a bit giving me time to put up a better front and research more. My economy was booming very quickly and tapered off in the end.

He came in with some AT units and was able to push forward pretty far before I got his AT units. Then I bombed his AT base with a bomber which got taken down by AA just after dropping its load..
Demoralize the main base to push in with my remaining tanks to destroy his AA and 2 big bombers took out 3 base buildings to end it with 2 minutes left.

At about 14 min left I thought he had me lol. Just like war the game changes so much. Loving it.

So, I finally have got my steam key after a few emails! I still have one more key left(not the steam one!). If anyone is interested send me a PM.

EDIT: not anymore

Last edited:
Still haven't got my beta key. How long does it usually take them to send it out? Sent my promo key in on thursday.

fun note if your leading on point and get totaly wiped out you still win a strong defensive player is hard to beat

BUMP

they are having a steam beta period. anyone checked it out? I will probably miss the beta cause I am out of town but i am... intrigued.

Just played a 2v2. I enjoyed it. My team mate left right away (his buildings were mine now) and the two enemies surrendered one after the other.

They both went Air / Tanks while I went AA + Tanks + massed arty. Whooped them silly.

Fun game. Got 3 levels in that one game lol.

What are the levels for btw?

match making it trys to match you with players near your skill level

I have been busy at work and just now downloading it, cant wait to see the changes made since the closed beta which was a lot of fun.

If it uses the same DRM as AC2 thats causing problems I hate to say I probably wont be purchasing the game either :(

Back