R.I.P. EB.

Tiny

Supreme [H]ardness
*sigh*

Well, it is still pending sharholder and legal approval, but it looks as if EB is soon to be no more.
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/605/605091p1.html

I actually liked EB more than I liked Gamestop. Kind of how I like Hollywood Video 10x more than I like Blockbuster.

Don't know why....just a personal thing I guess. They both stock largly the same things at the same prices. But I just got a better feeling when entering an EB rather than a Gamestop.

Oh well. Such is life.

I was just starting to warm up to EB. Their trade in options, discount plans and deals were outstanding as of recent. I have also been purchasing a lot of their preplayed games (a good way to pick up a new game for almost 50-75% off if you dont mind a few creases in the game box :p ).

This is quite sad news indeed.

^^ Gah!! No!!!

I don't know how people from this site could compare the two stores. Must not be like my area. The gamestop's have like a little shelf in the corner for PC games while EB actually appears to give a damn.

Akuma said:
This sucks. EB is so much better than Gamestop...

I agree, everytime I went into a Gamestop I felt dirty. Displays sucked, service sucked, everything sucked.

Hope they try to keep the EB stores as is.

Anytime you go into one of those stores you know you're paying a premium over Fry's and probably BB. I expect some actual conversation, help and service when I walk in. If that changes then there's no point to continue going.

That really sucks, guess I won't be buying my PC games from them anymore, hello best buy :(

Bha, now where am I to get my video games in canada? EB was the best store around, now the prices at Future Shop are going to be inflated even more.

:(

texuspete00 said:
^^ Gah!! No!!!

I don't know how people from this site could compare the two stores. Must not be like my area. The gamestop's have like a little shelf in the corner for PC games while EB actually appears to give a damn.

QFT

Kind of suprised, figured if this was to happen it would be the other way around. Cant say I shop at them anymore though because I get much better deals and prices from online sites like Amazon, Outpost, etc. I even make more selling my games on forums or Amazon so there of no use for me anymore. :p

R. Richard Fontaine, GameStop's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said, "This is an exciting transaction for everyone involved -- our customers, our shareholders, and our two companies. This merger, which is a "very positive step for GameStop", will enable us to enter new international markets and allow us to compete more effectively in the highly competitive U.S. video game industry."

WTH, what about the EB customers?? Will EB suffer from the 18-24 year old misinformed
staff that is Gamestop?? I have three area EB Games/Boutique that have 90% of the same
workers all the time.. There is only one Gamestop in my area. Will they be replaced with
1st/2nd college punks (no offence ;) ) that only work around their class schedules??

:( :confused: :(

pistola said:
That really sucks, guess I won't be buying my PC games from them anymore, hello best buy :(

Uggh! No. Circuit City. And if the price is higher use the 110% price match guarantee. Talk about walking into a store and feeling "dirty." Best Buy. :rolleyes:

I too prefer EB to Gamestop. All other things equal (price, selection,) at least the service was always much better than Gamestop.

Hearing this is like hearing Target is going out of business and being told that I have to shop at Wal-Mart. :(

Well at least at the mall where I live, the Gamestop is much better than EB.

Damn. Anyone know what is happening with my EB stock now that EB and Gamestop are forming some unholy union?

I actually kind of liked working at EB way back when I was in college.

Spectre said:
Damn. Anyone know what is happening with my EB stock now that EB and Gamestop are forming some unholy union?

Well, i dunno what WILL happen to it, but your stock just today made a big jump upwards after the announcement.

read the link... it went up substanatially.

And I agree... if anything you figure it would have been the other way. It seemed like EB had their act together. I seem to be getting the vibe that most others that have replied are in my boat. The gamestop is all console stuff with a young unorganized staff compared to EB.

ScYcS said:
Well, i dunno what WILL happen to it, but your stock just today made a big jump upwards after the announcement.

Hmmmm.....maybe i should sell and invest in more folding boxen.......

texuspete00 said:
read the link... it went up substanatially.

I would if IGN wasn't blocked by the filters at work. Blocks it as gaming/online gambling.

Spectre said:
I would if IGN wasn't blocked by the filters at work. Blocks it as gaming/online gambling.

Alrigthy... there's got to ba a place to check stock prices but from the article..
"Both companies saw share increases following this morning's announcement. At the time of this writing, Electronics Boutique stock rose 14.63 points to $55.75 (about 35%), while GameStop rose 3.04 points to $24.65 (about 14%)."

texuspete00 said:
Alrigthy... there's got to ba a place to check stock prices but from the article..

There are I was just hoping someone who had read it could drop the number real quick.

"Both companies saw share increases following this morning's announcement. At the time of this writing, Electronics Boutique stock rose 14.63 points to $55.75 (about 35%), while GameStop rose 3.04 points to $24.65 (about 14%)."

Thta makes me happy though. :D

This sucks. EB is friggin awesome and Gamestop totally bites... This is going to really suck unless they do like my company did when it went through a merger 6 years ago and keep only the best parts of both companies.

i work at an Eb and from what i have gathered today, Gamestop didnt BUY Eb they gave us enough money just to merge. And the rumor around my managers is that we will be keeping the Eb policies because we always outsold gamestop anyway and they knew it. So dont worry EB will be alive and well just continue to go to the same stores u always went to. The same awesome staff will be at all the Ebs ! (i hope) go into the gamestops and say EB OWNS U!

I mainly order my games online and ordered from both gamestop and eb. They were both pretty much the same.

Wasn't hoping to hear this. I've always thought EB was far superior in terms of... well... everything. It seemed like their staff always knew more and their stores didn't make me feel like I was in a sleezy pawn shop. That and EB never charged me tax for when I ordered online.

Oh well. :(

We don't have GameStops in Canada... but we do have Electronic Boutiques and EBGames.... I wonder what this means for us. Hopefully they just leave it as it is, rather than do something stupid like change the name and stuff.

EDIT: GameStop just sounds so ass (the name I mean). I just picture ridiculous ads like "One STOP shopping for all your video game needs - GameStop!" Meanwhile I need hardware, and video game stores selection is like two video cards - a GFFX 5200 and GF6 6200. Hopefully they aren't as crappy as they sound.

peace,
OriginalOCer

This is the first i've heard about it!

No!

Say it isn't so!

I love my EB games, They are cheaper and offer better varity and service then any gamestop!

Gamestop people, no matter what location it is I walk into, always have an arrogance about them, and act like they odn't want to be bothered.

EB...Man...My local EB, I go in there an I can get into conversations with the MANAGER about games, and before I know it an hours gone! the guys in my local EB are the best ever!

I hope my poor EB droids don't get reporgramed with snotty arrogance because of this :(:(:(

THE EB PEOPLE ARENT GOING ANYWHERE! Nothing is changing for another year. And the managers and employees will be the same. Trust me, in my EB we strike up convos with people for like hours, That wont change ill backhand the gamestop bitches before i let them run our store. For all you die hard Eb Fans go in and let your local eb employees know how awesome they are (let the managers know) so we can get the word to higher up that the public enjoys the eb policies over the gamestop ones. I dont like the fact that we have to change our name though. Stupid crap. I have never been inside a gamestop and now i work for one lol.

Been to a Gamestop, workers wouldn't talk to you. EB is the only shop I can go to if I want decent service. Hope that remains the same.

keep the compliments coming, im going to be passing these comments onto my manger to get bumped to his manager to let them know!

Bah, I hate Gamestop with a passion. Lazy employees, horrible customer service. Not to mention they fired my friend's sister, by simply taking her off the schedule one day and having her come in, read that, and find out she lost her job that way. One more reason to stick of Game Crazy.

I liked EB too. I buy a lot of games @ Bestbuy cause it is close to the house, but of all the 'Game' stores, EB was my favorite. :mad: :(

I have BF2 DVD pre-ordered through EBgames.com, but it is shipping straight to my house. But I will be heading into the nearest (there are three within 15 minutes of me) EB and let them now how much I appreciate the great service and great atmosphere that the employees create. I will browse the pre-played PC section and see if there is anything I like there, I love doing that!

THREE WOOTS FOR EB!!!

WOOT!

WOOT!

WOOT!

EB! :D

I never liked either one. They both suck in my town. The EB is always trashy looking with junk thrown every where and the Gamestop is all console crap. My money will stay with Wal-Mart as they are always cheaper here, especially compared to Best Buy as well...

If I want hardware, it's zipzoomfly or newegg all the way...

Hope they keep the EB policies - both are high-pressure sellers, but Gamestop is far worse, way beyond the point of annoyance. Especially the Gamestop by Keystone in Indy - there's this really annoying girl who works there, who tries to use her tits to keep you listening to her sales pitch. (I know she wasn't just hitting on me, because when I mentioned my fiancee, she immediately started working on my friend.)

Kevin Lowe said:
Hope they keep the EB policies - both are high-pressure sellers, but Gamestop is far worse, way beyond the point of annoyance. Especially the Gamestop by Keystone in Indy - there's this really annoying girl who works there, who tries to use her tits to keep you listening to her sales pitch. (I know she wasn't just hitting on me, because when I mentioned my fiancee, she immediately started working on my friend.)

Sorry but what was the problem again? :p

over the least couple of years i have watched numerous cases come into the press where eb stores recieved stolen property. When the rightful and legal owners of those items have tried to get those items back, EB corporate time and time again has told the LEGAL owners of those items they could buy them back at full price and nothing less.

Gamestop has never screwed anyone and having been in that situation when i worked at a gamestop oh so many years ago, I know for a fact that cooperate with the police in these situation and make sure the legal and rightful owners of those products get them back the way they should legally.

I hope EB gets liquidated

I personally can't stand either store, but the one thing that really sucks about this is competition.. I went to EB the other day for an S-vid cable. It was $14.99. I went to Gamestop and the same thing was $9.99. Should I be expecting to pay the higher or lower price now? Since there won't be another store to compete, they'll probably up the price.

emailthatguy said:
over the least couple of years i have watched numerous cases come into the press where eb stores recieved stolen property. When the rightful and legal owners of those items have tried to get those items back, EB corporate time and time again has told the LEGAL owners of those items they could buy them back at full price and nothing less.

Gamestop has never screwed anyone and having been in that situation when i worked at a gamestop oh so many years ago, I know for a fact that cooperate with the police in these situation and make sure the legal and rightful owners of those products get them back the way they should legally.

I hope EB gets liquidated

Amazing how you are familiar with every single transcation gamestop has ever had :rolleyes:

As for the stolen property issue that is crap in my district we had to eat those transactions. So how about you learn how to be specific rather than make grandiose over generalizations that you can't support.

Back