R.I.P. Autopatcher

Catweazle

2[H]4U
It's a sad time indeed. Despite it's attraction to the pirates out there, Autopatcher has also provided a useful and valuable service for which many of us have found perfectly legitimate and very useful apllications.

But Autopatcher is no more!

Microsoft has, finally, issued a takedown notice for the site, and that basically spells the end of the project. No sign, however, that Microsoft has any intention of taking up the slack. It's simply too much to hope for that they'd provide us with an (optional) 'pack' we could download, containing all the updates, patches and whatnot else released since the last Service Pack.

Until now, Autopatcher has provided us with one of the best "reinstallation" resources we could hope to have. Now we're back to 'rolling our own', or waiting for further Service Pack releases.

Unless you have any ideas and indications of alternatives people could use?

P.S. Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I had a quick look and couldn't find anything about it ;)

Yea I read about this earler today. Really sucks. I have used it for over a year to push updates down to systems I was redoing. I'm not happy about it.

This is such bullshit. I actually sent an email to Steve to have him post it on the front page. He hasn't yet and I don't know if he will. I mean you don't just go visit the autopatcher website everyday, so its a slow trickle of grief. We need the big websites like the [H] to spread the word. Microsoft needs to hear how people feel or it will not get changed.

The root of the issue, no matter how much they deny it, is that they do not want people who've pirated their OS to get all of the windows updates. Hurting their customers to get to the pirates. Here is your prime example.

never used autopatcher, but I hope it doesn't effect ryanvms website :mad: I hate how long it takes to dl patches and install them and these sort of programs make it so much easier to do and saves a ton of time

Never used it though I had heard of it.

I totally see MS's reasons for it.

Back