• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

QX9650 temp issue... HELP!

Xenozx

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
2,127
OK, well i am a little worried. I recently upgraded (because it was an awesome deal) from a Q9450 to QX9650.

my Q9450 had a similar problem but not as bad. basically 2 cores run hotter then the other 2. On my old processor it wasnt as bad as this. I am at stock voltage right now and these are my temps.

temperature issue.jpg


questions

1.) Which temp program is accurate? Should I go by coretemp, or everest? they seem 10c off.

2.) is this a legitimate issue with these processors or is this an issue with my 780i and it not reading the temps properly (since it happend on 2 different quad core processor)?
 
1.) Which temp program is accurate? Should I go by coretemp, or everest? they seem 10c off.
Core Temp is reporting your temperatures as accurately as possible.
2.) is this a legitimate issue with these processors or is this an issue with my 780i and it not reading the temps properly (since it happend on 2 different quad core processor)?
The issue you're seeing is most likely the infamous stuck sensor problem, which causes the thermal sensors inside the CPU to get "stuck" and not report values below a certain point. However, this is not a reason to be concerned about. All you need to worry about is whether or not your temperatures are within safe levels (~70C or lower), and the specific idle temps you're getting are pretty much meaningless anyway due to some issues with the sensors themselves that I won't go into right now.

In short, don't worry about anything. Your CPU and motherboard are fine.
 
when you say 70, is that on a core basis, or the CPU temp?

cause under full load at 4.1ghz and 1.45v set in bios (1.4 CPU-Z) I get about 70ish on 2 cores, 55ish on the other 2, and a CPU temp of 65c. This is a quad prime 95 run.
 
when you say 70, is that on a core basis, or the CPU temp?

I don't really understand your question. The cores are the CPU. There's no distinction.

Also, you really shouldn't be running more than 1.4V through that chip. You could be reducing its lifespan.
 
My question was meant as followed:

Speedfan shows my CPU at 34c
it also shows

CPU - 34c
core1 58c
core2 58c
core3 40c
core4 41c

so when you say for it not to go over 70c, do you mean, the CPU itself, or none of the cores should go over 70c?

core 1 and 2 do hit about 73c when I do a quad prime95. the other 2, never go over 60.

temps1111.jpg
 
so when you say for it not to go over 70c, do you mean, the CPU itself, or none of the cores should go over 70c?

I mean the cores. However, you should be looking at Core Temp to read your temperatures, and not SpeedFan. Core Temp will give you the most accurate readings.
 
temps at full load

temps2222.jpg


OK, so I should be going by core temp, so the 65 for the 2 cores under load is considered fine?
 
Back
Top