QX6700

Don_1

Gawd
Getting some extra cash soon and the wife said it's cool if I wanted to buy a QX670.:cool:

My question is really for the one's that own one: Is it worth buying?

If you had a chance to do it over would you??

Also, would like this to be the last upgrade for the next 2 years

Hey I've been tempted to buy it since it was released but after many review stating the chip releases lots of heat and therefore can not be overclocked much more than 3.2Ghz... If you won't OC then it's a good buy if that rings your bell.

I'm running water in my box right now, I don't think heat would be much of an issue??

I always say this to Mr.RICHard:
If you got the cash why not?

It is the fastest thing in the market and from what it looks like for the next 6-9 months too.

If you have the dough , why not ? ;)

i own this beast, tho i cant compare it to anything since i got it after a P4 prescott
make sure you get a mobo which supports it

I believe having a balanced system is far greater than just investing all money for the best CPU. Tell us what your set up is like and then may be [H] masters can help you out? ;)

I believe having a balanced system is far greater than just investing all money for the best CPU. Tell us what your set up is like and then may be [H] masters can help you out? ;)

My Water cooled system:
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
E6600 @ 3.2GHz
2GB Corsair 6400C4
EVGA 8800gtx
150gb RaptorX OS drive
OS Vista Ultimate
2x WD 500gb storage and gamming drives
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty sound card
Liteon sata dvd burner
all wrapped up in a Silverstone tj07 silver case.

You are definitely not hurting for performance right now. So if you have the dough and the wife factor is not an issue, then sure, buy it, but know you have it to have it, no real world benefit at the moment...but Alan Wake does sound good now.

I got her today and it does run warmer than my e6600.

But I was able to ramp up the muliplier to 12 and she's running 3.2 with no problems.

I love the QX. Its the best proc Ive ever owned (been building/tinkering since the 8088 days). Previous main machine was an FX-60.

I would buy this proc again in a second. I got it to 3.2Ghz with just a multi change on air and undervolted am running at 63C under 4 core Prime load. This chip DOES get hot though. Core 3 on my proc is stubborn and wont stay stable at 3.46Ghz unless I push voltage to 1.5. At 1.5V, you need water to cool it I think (my airflow is pretty good and it was running up to 90+)

Taken from a totally objective sense, I think this is a really great part from Intel. Theyve just totally been kicking ass with Core 2.

Here's some early pics, the wife wants to go to bed;)
9-2-2007-21.jpg

9-2-2007-22.jpg

Sorry if the pics are small, I'll post more later.

I've got a Q6600 running @ 3.2 Ghz here as well now. I've got so much stuff running all the time (dvb-s tv, mail, several news streams, web etc. on one monitor, WoW or work on the other) that my machine actually feels more responsive than with my [email protected] Ghz. Wouldn't go back :) And I've got as much points in 3DMark06 now than I had with my [email protected] Ghz and a slightly higher overclock on my 8800GTX. My Sig is up to date.

I've got a Q6600 running @ 3.2 Ghz here as well now. I've got so much stuff running all the time (dvb-s tv, mail, several news streams, web etc. on one monitor, WoW or work on the other) that my machine actually feels more responsive then with my [email protected] Ghz. Wouldn't go back :) And I've got as much points in 3DMark06 now than I had with my [email protected] Ghz and a slightly higher overclock on my 8800GTX. My Sig is up to date.
What are your temps running at?
Mine are in the mid to upper 40's without load.
With a load it climbs up into the 60's (everything is celsius)
But, there aren't any problems.
I'm going to reseat my waterblock tonight after work.

I've been to 37C when just websurfing, right now I am in WoW and websurfing and it's 48C, and if I run 4 instances of Prime95 with the small FFT, max heat test, it climbs up to 88C and stays there, no matter how long ir runs. I'm on 1.525v volts though, less isn't stable @ 3.2 Ghz. I'd say the Titan Amanda is doing an amazing job with the Quad core. Throtteling because of heat would start at 100C and that's still far away.

I've been to 37C when just websurfing, right now I am in WoW and websurfing and it's 48C, and if I run 4 instances of Prime95 with the small FFT, max heat test, it climbs up to 88C and stays there, no matter how long ir runs. I'm on 1.525v volts though, less isn't stable @ 3.2 Ghz. I'd say the Titan Amanda is doing an amazing job with the Quad core. Throtteling because of heat would start at 100C and that's still far away.
do you have the fun on full blast?
can you show some screenies please?

Have to check if I can run them with Vista x64... should work if I disable signed driver enforcement at bootup...

Have to check if I can run them with Vista x64... should work if I disable signed driver enforcement at bootup...
PLEASE and where did you buy that cooler?
it's not on newegg,some searching comes up with Titan Amanda Cooler TEC
if it cools like you say then i'm gonna cancel my order of the water cooling hardware

quadtemp.jpg

Short and quick... TAT doesn't work on Vista x64, I'm afraid, not even in admin mode and/or XP SP2 mode, just pops up a window for 0.1 secs and is gone.

I'm from the UK (well, Germany originally, but living in the UK for 4 years now) and bought it here:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-TI&tool=3
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-001-TI

(Read the user reviews!)

I understand that there are some problems to get hands on the Titan Amanda outside Europe. Quite a shame.

nukleuz, what do you want to know about my board setup that's not in my sig?

Jadawin

Those temps seem pretty high:eek:
How stable is your system?

Anyhow here's mine:

10-2-2007-19.jpg

Perfectly stable. Don't forget, it's an overclocked QUAD core with 0.225v volts more then stock. As you can see here, at stock settings with the stock cooler and 1.25v it idles at above 40C already.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/651-2/intel-core-2-quad-q6600.html

"On the temperature side, we noted via Intel TAT software after 15 minutes of 4x Prime95 and the indiscrete Intel CPU cooler delivered with our model of the QX6700, the following results: 69°C with the QX6700 and 66°C with the Q6600"

So, it's 66C at stock 2.4 Ghz with 1.25v... I think 88C is fine with 3.2 Ghz and a lot more juice :) Sure, 88C sounds scary for a CPU, but it's not comparable to single or dual cores anymore. Every little voltage increase counts 4x, generates 4x the heat (or 2x compared to Core2 duo). If I would be near throtteling temps, I would step down a bit. And I will try to lower the voltages over the next few weeks, hoping for the mythical burn-in effect...

You need a lot less voltage than mine :( So that's why mine runs a lot hotter. But as long as it's stable....

Ive got temp photos for my 3.2Ghz in the "official OC thread". Running blend, I can stay in the low to mid 60s. Running small FFT though, climbs to high 70s.

Im able to run 3.2Ghz at 1.375. For giggles I tried getting to 3.46 and, on the third core only, wasnt successful until 1.5+V. That took temps up to 90C on full load which was too much.

Im tempted to go water now to see if I can sustain 3.46 :( How many folks here are running QX on water? What specs?

I'm kinda running my QX on water, its got a Coolit Freezone on it, modded with a higher cfm 120mm fan. I'm running 3.33Ghz right now at 1.475(setting) 1.40(actual) With orthos it got as high as 72c, With smp Folding at 80-90% it runs at 66c (Idle 50c) I'm still tweaking, I could do stock fsb at 11x and 12x at stock voltages, no go for 13x at 1.5(didnt try higher) Right now I'm at 12x277 and just upping it a few mhz fsb here and there, once it starts crashing i'll dial it back.

I'm kinda running my QX on water, its got a Coolit Freezone on it, modded with a higher cfm 120mm fan. I'm running 3.33Ghz right now at 1.475(setting) 1.40(actual) With orthos it got as high as 72c, With smp Folding at 80-90% it runs at 66c (Idle 50c) I'm still tweaking, I could do stock fsb at 11x and 12x at stock voltages, no go for 13x at 1.5(didnt try higher) Right now I'm at 12x277 and just upping it a few mhz fsb here and there, once it starts crashing i'll dial it back.

Nice overclock and temps.
Almost makes me want to get a Freezone.
I think that the wife would give me the boot at that point:D

I overclocked mine to 3.33 (333x10) Default voltage with OCZ PC2-5400 at stock settings.

At 100% for 20 minutes it is in the low 60's Celcius.

I am using the Tuniq Tower on low fan speed with Artic Silver.

Anyone else have OC figures for this chip?

So far- an expensive chip but the best chip I have ever owned.

He already bought it :)

There are a ton of things you can do that exploit the 4 cores. Video editing, ripping, virtual machine work (for me, I use my main PC for work occasionally and will often have 3 VMs running).

Even gaming... Unreal 3 engine and, of course, Alan Wake spawn more than 2 threads. Not to mention that even with todays 1 and 2 thread games, you are left with 2 cores to run other tasks.

Id say if you have the money, why not buy the quad? For me (and Id suspect the other QX guys here) the money wasnt a huge deal.

If anything seems like a questionable value, Id say its the 6700. Why not just buy a 6300 and OC it? The 6700 seems priced way out of line. Its not an extreme, it doesnt do anything special and its clocked pretty low. You can always oclock, but you cant add cores.

He already bought it :)

There are a ton of things you can do that exploit the 4 cores. Video editing, ripping, virtual machine work (for me, I use my main PC for work occasionally and will often have 3 VMs running).

Even gaming... Unreal 3 engine and, of course, Alan Wake spawn more than 2 threads. Not to mention that even with todays 1 and 2 thread games, you are left with 2 cores to run other tasks.

Id say if you have the money, why not buy the quad? For me (and Id suspect the other QX guys here) the money wasnt a huge deal.

If anything seems like a questionable value, Id say its the 6700. Why not just buy a 6300 and OC it? The 6700 seems priced way out of line. Its not an extreme, it doesnt do anything special and its clocked pretty low. You can always oclock, but you cant add cores.

Couldn't have said it better;)

My Water cooled system:
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
E6600 @ 3.2GHz
2GB Corsair 6400C4
EVGA 8800gtx
150gb RaptorX OS drive
OS Vista Ultimate
Liteon sata dvd burner

Nice system.
if someone asked me what to recommend to them it would be very similar:

e6400
Asus P5B-E (or Deluxe or DS3)
2x1Gb G.Skill, OCZ or Corsair (cas 4 b/c Cas 3 is overrated)
8800 GTS
150Gb Raptor
extra drives as needed.... possibly 320Gb perp 7200.7
600+ modular PSU (Corsair, Xclio... PC P&C is too expensive for me)
non- XiFi (Audigy2) card since it gives problems on SOME mobo's (like DS3)
LiteOn Sata DVD
Scythe, Thermalright or Tuniq HSF.

My personal set up is:
e6600
DS3
2x1Gb G.Skill 4-4-4-12 PK
7900GTX
74Gb Raptor
Liteon SATA
600W Xclio PSU
SB Audigy
Lian Li PC-7b Plus (all 120mm fans)
Scythe Infinity

Thanks for the compliment
My system is now:
My Water cooled
Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi
QX6700 Extreme @ 3.2GHz Smooth as butter..
2GB Corsair 6400C4
EVGA 8800gtx
150gb RaptorX OS drive
OS Vista Ultimate
Liteon sata dvd burner

Back