QVL memory lists

Peat Moss

Gawd
Are QVL lists a list of all memory modules that have been tested and will ONLY work with a given motherboard?

Or is it just a list of memory modules that are officially approved modules? In other words, could other modules work?

I ask, because there are a couple of AMD Ryzen motherboards that I am looking for ECC memory for, and there are only a few obscure ECC memory modules listed on their QVL's.

Well, they can't test every possible memory module on the market so they list only things they've tested.
As long as you not mixing different brands of RAM or models it should be fine.

Given the number of threads regarding ryzen memory issues, I'd stick to what's listed on the QVL unless you can return the ram easily or already have it sitting around. Sure, ram that's not on the QVL *might* work, but then it might not — not really a gamble I'd be willing to take if I couldn't return it.

ECC on Ryzen is easy, you want the same stuff all the good overclocker ram uses: Samsung B-die, full stop

Its a short list:
M391A1K43BB1
M391A2K43BB1
f24ea8gs
f24eb16gs

In my experience the rated speeds don't mean anything, it all runs 2933 16-16-16 1.35V minimum ceiling, SR or DR. Only 1DPC for me so far, but 4 threadrippers, two AM4 and counting.

Whether or not the ECC function works is totally up to the motherboard vendor bios code not sucking. Although raven ridge might be SOL.

Other parts might work or be on mythical voodoo QVL (which guarentees you nothing, just that they tested 1 board and 1 kit) but none are cheaper so why bother. FWIW I have used micron and kingston 16GB unbuffered 16GB just fine at stock, but have since rearranged those into intel xeon boxes (with locked ram ofc) to claim more samsung.

I thought QVLs were reliable but Gigabyte proved me wrong with 2 z370 mobos (two times - kits from the list that were not entirely stable with XMP enabled). So from now on I will be more careful and Google around to see what kits other people have and what results they got with it.

I saw a G-skill (or was it Corsair?) rep on Reddit who himself said the QVL means little besides "we put it in the slots and managed to load the OS". Supposedly the QVL lists on the RAM manufacturers' sites are much better but they are also tiny so plenty of working kits are not listed.

QVL is mostly to inform buyers of RAM sets that will run at their rated speeds and timings.

I haven't had too many issues with CL16 RAM on Ryzen setups with latest BIOS revisions; usually can bump the 3000/3200MHz kits to 2933 at least, or sometimes 3200 with relaxed timings worst case. The annoying part is having to manually test stability if the sticks won't XMP or if you really want to get the advertised speeds.

I never looked at a QVL when buying memory. It is a thing for Ryzen but Intel's systems give no fucks.

OP, I've been in the same boat for a couple days now, can't get myself to pull the trigger without confirming the RAM will work. :unsure:

Perhaps I read to many Ryzen threads when it was in it's infancy and it got pounded into my head "ORDER STRICTLY OFF OF THE QVL's" and am just spooked to deviate from it.

EDIT: Mobo is an ROG Maximus Code IX with a 7700k, eyeballing the 3200 Corsair Dominator Platinum's. The 4x8GB sticks are confirmed on the QVL but not the 2x8GB config.

Last edited:
Gigabyte is going to sell Samsung b-die DDR4 according to Anandtech. But the timings are 16-18-18-38. I bet it will be on pretty much every Gigabyte QVL.

QVL is mostly to inform buyers of RAM sets that will run at their rated speeds and timings.

For X370 MB's running Ryzen 2xxx series, QVL is fairly important (buy b-die ONLY, G.Skill Flare, Sniper or TridentZ)
For X470 MB's... things are a bit looser. QVL is useful, but not as critical. Even crap memory should run (with variable timings) - that said: buy b-die memory anyway, probably only G.Skill flavors.

/in my 2700X build on ASrock X470 Tachi, using b-die TridentZ -3466 it all worked perfectly right on the second boot, with no BIOS updating or tweaking required.
//your mileage may vary

QVL is a nice to have IMO, I haven't had too many issues especially with later BIOS revisions. The vast majority of us wouldn't notice the difference between DDR4 2933 @ CL16 and DDR4 3000 @ CL14 anyways. I suppose there is a concern with B350/X370 boards on old BIOS with CL16 RAM not even booting up though.

If I had to do a price to price comparison, I'd rather go with a $140-160 16GB kit of CL16 DDR4 3000 RAM over a $200-220 16GB of CL14 DDR4 3000 RAM. The extra $40-60 could go towards an SSD or moving up a tier in graphics cards.

I have never in my life looked or consulted a QVL list, there are 3 memory manufacturers, if the voltage rating and frequency rating is within processors capability, the ram will work, thats has been my experience 100% of the time. Most memory issues are severely overblown by novice users.

Back