QVL memory lists

Discussion in 'Memory' started by Peat Moss, May 12, 2018.

1. Peat Moss

Peat Moss Limp Gawd

Are QVL lists a list of all memory modules that have been tested and will ONLY work with a given motherboard?

Or is it just a list of memory modules that are officially approved modules? In other words, could other modules work?

I ask, because there are a couple of AMD Ryzen motherboards that I am looking for ECC memory for, and there are only a few obscure ECC memory modules listed on their QVL's.

2. ashmelev75

ashmelev75 [H]ard|Gawd

Well, they can't test every possible memory module on the market so they list only things they've tested.
    As long as you not mixing different brands of RAM or models it should be fine.

3. capt_cope

capt_cope Gawd

Given the number of threads regarding ryzen memory issues, I'd stick to what's listed on the QVL unless you can return the ram easily or already have it sitting around. Sure, ram that's not on the QVL *might* work, but then it might not — not really a gamble I'd be willing to take if I couldn't return it.

4. Aluminum

Aluminum Limp Gawd

ECC on Ryzen is easy, you want the same stuff all the good overclocker ram uses: Samsung B-die, full stop

Its a short list:
    M391A1K43BB1
    M391A2K43BB1
    f24ea8gs
    f24eb16gs

In my experience the rated speeds don't mean anything, it all runs 2933 16-16-16 1.35V minimum ceiling, SR or DR. Only 1DPC for me so far, but 4 threadrippers, two AM4 and counting.

Whether or not the ECC function works is totally up to the motherboard vendor bios code not sucking. Although raven ridge might be SOL.

Other parts might work or be on mythical voodoo QVL (which guarentees you nothing, just that they tested 1 board and 1 kit) but none are cheaper so why bother. FWIW I have used micron and kingston 16GB unbuffered 16GB just fine at stock, but have since rearranged those into intel xeon boxes (with locked ram ofc) to claim more samsung.

5. kalston

kalston Gawd

I thought QVLs were reliable but Gigabyte proved me wrong with 2 z370 mobos (two times - kits from the list that were not entirely stable with XMP enabled). So from now on I will be more careful and Google around to see what kits other people have and what results they got with it.

I saw a G-skill (or was it Corsair?) rep on Reddit who himself said the QVL means little besides "we put it in the slots and managed to load the OS". Supposedly the QVL lists on the RAM manufacturers' sites are much better but they are also tiny so plenty of working kits are not listed.

6. HiryuuX

HiryuuX [H]Lite

QVL is mostly to inform buyers of RAM sets that will run at their rated speeds and timings.

I haven't had too many issues with CL16 RAM on Ryzen setups with latest BIOS revisions; usually can bump the 3000/3200MHz kits to 2933 at least, or sometimes 3200 with relaxed timings worst case. The annoying part is having to manually test stability if the sticks won't XMP or if you really want to get the advertised speeds.

7. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

I never looked at a QVL when buying memory. It is a thing for Ryzen but Intel's systems give no fucks.

8. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

how i picked ram for my ryzen setup.

newegg.ca

ddr4

3200mhz

cheapest pair

buy.

vegeta535 likes this.
  9. unclutchable

unclutchable n00bie

I've used multiple different types of DDR4 on separate Ryzen builds (that were not on the memory QVL) with no ill effects.

kirbyrj likes this.