Quiting my Computer HELP

tree_

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 22, 2004
Messages
1,707
I just bought the X-Alien off newegg with an Athlon64 with stock hs/f.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-144-057&DEPA=1

This thing is rediculiously LOUD! I can't even leave it on at night because it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner... Is it the case fans? Is it the stock Athlon64 fans? What can I buy to make it quiter? Give me some links to silent fans I could use for the case and heatsink fan on newegg. Please help.
 
I've been working on trying to quiet my 3 systems down lately too. Here's a few of my fav links to sites that sell quiet stuff. I have yet to achieve total silence but I have cut the noise by a good bit. I bought several of the silenX fans and heatsink fan combo's from Silentmaxx. I want to replace a few power supplies too but can't do everything at once.

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/mainindex.asp

http://www.silentmaxx.net/catalog/ps_prosilence_comparison.php

http://www.quietpcusa.com/

http://www.directron.com/silence.html

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/search.html
 
Hmm. Yeah I guess the 2 fans on the PSU would cause a lot of noice also.. How hard is it to replace a PSU? And thanks for the helpful quick reply!
 
Also, I'd really like to keep buying my parts from the egg, so newegg links would be greatly appreciated.
 
I've bought a lot of stuff from Newegg. They are one of my favorite sources. I don't think they have the the SilenX or Papst fans ( the quietest I know of). They do have power supplies that are advertised as quiet. I haven't done any comparisons though. For me a quiet fan produces less than 20 db. That's a personal thing though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=58&DEPA=1

As for replacing a power supply, that is a piece of cake. You just unplug everything from it, remove the 4 screws holding it in from the back and remove it. Slap a new silent one in, plug everything back up and off you go.
 
Weedo said:
As for replacing a power supply, that is a piece of cake. You just unplug everything from it, remove the 4 screws holding it in from the back and remove it. Slap a new silent one in, plug everything back up and off you go.
its a waste to just buy a new powersupply just because its too loud...

if you knew computers/modding well enough, you should open up the power (CAREFULLY) and replace the fans yourself but its not that easy
 
www.google.com <--- it's your friend. Try typing in "quiet case fans" or "silent computing" and see what you find . . . You would be amazed at what you can learn about something when you do some basic research. :D
 
Back
Top