Quite frustrated at my WD2500JD

alphaoenz

n00b
I bought a SATA WD2500JD off NewEgg a few days ago and finally got it in yesterday. Once I got everything running properly (2 30 IBM's in a striping array and the 250 for storage), I thought I was set. I started copying over a lot of files from my friends computer overnight. When I wake up in the morning, everything seems fine. Everything is copied over. I goto run a file and my system just starts lagging incredibly bad (almost seemed like it locked up but the mouse would move every minute or so). So I restart my system and now when the SATA screen comes up, it says there's no drives on either of the channel and then it'll freeze and not go into WindowsXP. But when I disable the SATA in my BIOS, everything works mint. My setup is as followed:

Barton 2500@3200
Gigabyte GA7n400Pro2 bios f11.
2x Ibm deskstar 30gig in raid0
1x WD Caviar 250gig SATA
Corsair XMS 512 2336

I have to run to class so i think the info should suffice. Thanks in advance.

Power supply issue? Could be running too hot at that point and not able to keep a good output.

That's what Im thinking possibly. I do have a single powerline with 3 molex connectors connected to my 3 drives so maybe thats the problem. Ill try running a straight power source to it and see if that works.

Oh, and does it matter whether I use the regular molex connector or the SATA power connector? This is my first sata drive and its OEM so it didn't come with any cables and I had no idea what the 1 1/4" connector next to the sata cable was until now. Ill try both when I get home.

alphaoenz said:
Oh, and does it matter whether I use the regular molex connector or the SATA power connector?
No, just don't use both.

How do you know that it's the drive and not the controller or power supply, say? I don't like Caviars anyways, but I wouldn't be too hasty to pin it on the drive yet until you have explored the other options. It does certainly sound like a firmware issue, but try the other options first before you settle on the drive being the culprit.

Yea so my powmax 400w powersupply = culprit. I unplugged my cd drives and everything works mint.

How do you know that it's the drive and not the controller or power supply, say? I don't like Caviars anyways, but I wouldn't be too hasty to pin it on the drive yet until you have explored the other options. It does certainly sound like a firmware issue, but try the other options first before you settle on the drive being the culprit.

It could have just as likely been the other things but usually when adding hardware, if issues come up, it's lack of good clean power that's the problem. Also, it's really easy to test if it's power, just unplug a few non-essential drives like he did and the problem should clear up if it's power.

It actually didn't solve my problem, my system still locked up after about an hour so instead, I just RMA'd the drive and ordered a 300gig Seagate UATA100... and an Asus Z71V notebook :D .

Back