Quistion about the "Digital Copy" in Bluray DVD combos

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Been looking around in the movie section and noticed that theres Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy combo packs.
Dont have a BluRay player yet but I am thinking about starting to buy these combo packs for future use.

What exactly is the "Digital Copy"?
What format, size and restrictions does it have?

It will install a player and the code and only on that pc will you be able to watch that movie.

the disks come with a one time code to get access to the digital copies, and (Some?) of these codes expire.

I wouldn't purchase them for "future" use.

You type the code into iTunes and it downloads the SD version of the movie.

the disks come with a one time code to get access to the digital copies, and (Some?) of these codes expire.

I wouldn't purchase them for "future" use.

its the bluray version that I was really wanting for futur use when I get a PS3.

If the digital Copy only works on your PC then whats the use, if it only works in iTunes then I can see the use as long as you can put it on your ipod.

its the bluray version that I was really wanting for futur use when I get a PS3.

If the digital Copy only works on your PC then whats the use, if it only works in iTunes then I can see the use as long as you can put it on your ipod.

I think they have options for windows media or itunes videos. I've never used the digital copy options on my disks.

If you're getting the blu-ray/dvd/digital combo of a movie, then just pop the DVD into your comptuer and rip it to whatever format you want. It might take a little longer, but you'll end up with something that isn't full of DRM and you can play it on any player you want.

Like others -- I've bout at least a dozen movies with a downloadable digitial copy and I've never used one..

IMO this is something I stay away from, proprietary players, content protection out the a**, no standards on how the content looks/format you get, and usually as I understand it the content isn't on the disk you bought as you have to download it. This isn't a "feature" I am willing to pay for.

If you're getting the blu-ray/dvd/digital combo of a movie, then just pop the DVD into your comptuer and rip it to whatever format you want.
I do the same, but Diablo2K does not have a blu-ray player.

I hate these digital copies, the quality is really horrible and the sound is totally flat and very low volume. To illustrate, the size of the District 9 movie file is 24GB, and the digital copy is less than 900MB. It's meant to be played on your phone or iPod, no bigger screen.

Plus you need to provide your email address, agree to terms, unsubscribe from newsletters, it installs shortcuts on your desktop and what not. It's just a joke.

It's not necessarily proprietary players, though: District 9 digital copies are just movie files that can be played on the PC with WMP or iTunes. There are copies for the Mac or PSP but I don't know if these are just video files or come with specific players. I never use these copies either, since I have a blu-ray player. FYI registration of these copies expire at the end of this year, for a BD I bought in May this year, and the digital copy ships in the same box, on a separate disc.

Last edited:
I do the same, but Diablo2K does not have a blu-ray player.

He specifically asked about the DVD/Blu-Ray combo disks. Since the digital copies are always the SD version, ripping the DVD should yield as good, if not better results than using the digitial download.

And since it's a DVD, he won't need a blu-ray drive to do it. I'm assuming he has a DVD drive... and I think it's pretty safe to assume that these days. :)

I tried a few of them on an older laptop and they're pretty terrible. They were all very low bitrate encodes. Lots of visual artifacts, weak sound... like Demon said they're not even as good as watching a regular DVD. Significantly worse in most cases. The most offensively bad one I tried was The Dark Knight. You don't even get past the opening logo before it becomes clear just how pixelated and bad the video encode is.

Yeah but they are meant to be viewed on 3-4 inch screens, not 13-50" TV's/Laptops.

Yeah but they are meant to be viewed on 3-4 inch screens, not 13-50" TV's/Laptops.

Do what now? There's two versions of the digital copy on the disc. There's the portable version meant for ipods and whatever other little portable media player you might choose... and there's the basic higher resolution .wmv meant for laptops.

The bigger, always larger than 1gig wmv's are terrible quality.

Back