• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

quietest high performance air cooler ?

XenatR

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 13, 2012
Messages
183
hi guys, im kinda sick of the constant whine coming from my Corsair H60, so am in the market for a high performance air cooler, which must be as silent as possible, yet giving decent headroom to overclock my Phenom 955 (currently at 62C load @ 3.9ghz)

there are quite a few to choose from but would like a heads-up as to which performs best at the lowest idle noise (idle noise is a priority, during gaming it doesnt matter if the fans get loud(er)

ive looked at the following:

Akasa Venom Medusa
Silverstone SST-HE01
NZXT Havik 140
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
Noctua NH-D14
Phanteks CPU Performance Cooler

ill also hopefully be going for the Fractal Design Define R4 for extra silence


any help greatly apprectiated!
 
The Havik 140 seems to be getting some great reviews. Seems like a definite contender.

I'd also look into a few options from Thermalright - Archon, Silver Arrow, and Macho are all solid coolers with a low noise output. They're also easy to mount and stable when in place, which is more than can be said for some other models.
 
what about re-using my Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm (on a 7v adapter) fans, on a Prolimatech Megahalems in push pull?
 
Phanteks ph-tc14pe -- NOT WITH THE DEFAULT FANS. OMG THOSE THINGS ARE INCREDIBLY LOUD!! Yes, I have to shout to explain to you how loud they are.

Noctua NH-D14

Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E, Archon, Thermalright HR-02 Macho -- Best bet with stock fans because they are PWM fans.
 

I used a Hyper 212 Evo in my son's build last year and its awesome, and truthfully I can't even hear it's fan once it was put in the case.

Although for full disclosure, I'm not the best judge for things like this because my hearing SUCKS! To much time at the rifle range and concerts without any hearing protection, not to mention spending a considerable amount of time, in my younger days, with headphones on blasting AC/DC, Metallica, Motorhead, Iron Madien, etc......
 
hi guys, im kinda sick of the constant whine coming from my Corsair H60

Where's the whining coming from? If it's the fan(s), just put new ones on it. If it's the pump, that doesn't sound right.
 
I just ordered a Megahalems Rev C. Black Edition the other night. I'll be sure to let you know how well it handles an overclocked Core i5 2500K. I just hope I don't have any issues with it running into the heatspreaders on my RAM...

Currently using a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, which has served me well for a long time. Still a fairly good performer once you invest in a better fan and the bolt-through mounting hardware.

I tried a Noctua NH-U12S and was horribly disappointed with it. Zero performance improvement over my HDT-S1283. Only real advantage the NH-U12S had was that it was ready to go out-of-the-box (came with bolt-through mounting hardware and a decent fan).
 
I vote for Noctua D14- Have two (main gaming rig and home server) and never have heard them :p
 
Back
Top