Quietest Drive

Lord Chambers

Weaksauce
I'm about to make a SATA drive purchase, but to spare myself regret, I'm enlisting your help.

I will either go with a 200gb or a 250b drive. Obviously there is more storage with 250gb, and a corresponding price hike, but is there a substantial difference in noise or failure risk?

On the issue of noise, [H]ard drive people always seem to care, but is there really cause for concern? Won't a noisy drive always be less noisy than a video card or case fans? That's really my only concern.

Maxor and WD both have 200 and 250 models, but in the 250 range there is also Hitachi. What's most baffling is that on newegg, the 250gb WD, Maxtor, and Hitachi are $217, $223, and $248 respectively. Why is it so much?

Wait a few weeks for Newegg to get the Seagate 200Gb SATA drives back in stock.

I emailed seagate and they said it will be a week or two.

These things are only 25dB!!
Now THAT is quiet.

They will be around $180 when newegg gets them back in stock.

Get them back in stock? I too emailed Seagate, and they said they weren't out on the market yet.

In fact, here's exactly what they said:
The 200 GB model has been announced, but it is not available in the distribution channels yet. It may be another 1-2 months away before distribution channels start receiving them. Marketing always announces drives on our website prior to distribution receiving them.

Currently the largest we offer in SATA is 160 GB, model ST3160023AS.

i bought one at Mwave. they had them in stock, and it was less expensive than newegg.

it's a great drive, although it's not as quiet as my older Baracuda IV during seeks.

2 to 3 weeks for the retail market.. meaning best buy and circuit city. The online retailers will recieve them sooner.

they also may be referring to the retail drives, but i'm pretty sure i saw a retail boxed 200GB 7200.7 at Best Buy last time i was there. don't buy the retail boxed version of this drive, it's only got a 1 year warranty.

and it's back in stock at newegg for $150 with free shipping, or mwave has the same drive for $125 + shipping(which wasn't too much for me).

*edit* i just realised that you were looking for a SATA drive. i've been suggesting the PATA version. my bad, i should probably learn how to read.

Well, my investigation into product data sheets for these products has turned up the following tidbits. Each of the three manufacturers has 6 heads in their 250gb drives. However, WD seems to be slightly louder than the other, and Maxtors seem to be slightly slower, so it would seem Hitachi is the best of the three.

However, are they 30 bucks better. This is the question I must answer before I make a purchase.

Originally posted by zombiebeat
Heard a lot of good things about the Samsung Spinpoint.
the highest capacity drive they have though is only I think like 160GB.

We are talking 200GB +

Back