• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quiet VGA cooling advice

mr.dearthian

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 29, 2003
Messages
406
I have a Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample that I'm wanting to quiet down and I want to bounce this idea off of you folks. What I'm thinking of doing is unplugging and removing the fan shroud (like the one on this one) on the 6800GT and put a Zalman Bracket Cooling kit right above the card. I plan on replacing the stock Zalman 92mm fan that comes with this kit with a 120mm quiet Panaflo and leave the stock heatsinks on the 6800T.

Here's the Zalman Kit I'm talking About

Think this will work effectively? I don't OC, but don't want the card to fry. And, if I do this, would you want the fan blowing down on the card or sucking air away from the card?

For those who want to know, here's the sys specs:

PIV 2.8ghz
Zalman CNSP7700 AL-CU
Gigabyte 8KNXP rev1
1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
Lian Li PC-V2000B case
Sounblaster Audigy
various cd/dvd drives
2x80GB Western Digital HDD's

I'm kinda iffy about putting a really heavy vga cooler on it (like a Zalman heatpipe or the NVSilencer) because I don't want to torque the PCI slot.

Mr.Dearthian
 
I forget which thread it was in here in the forums (just saw it yesterday), but I saw one where a couple of cards with NVSilencers were actually leaning (wish I could find it). That kind of turned me off.

What do you folks think of a big 120mm mounted on the bracket I mentioned above mounted above the AGP slot? Do you think it will work effectively? My thought is a big honking 120 will move more air than the 2 noisy fans on the Gainward.

The Zalman heatpipe won't really work in my situation. 1st, they take modifying to fit 6800GT's (provided it has the proper hole placement). 2nd, they will not work in my case. Zalman mentions that any case where the GPU faces upwards will not work effectively with the heatpipe (though they don't mention why). My Lian Li is one of the newer ones that flips the motherboard, which means my GPU faces upwards.

Mr.Dearthian
 
ryuji said:
look at the link i posted for new zalman.. has its own fan
http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=149&code=013

I've been interested in this one. I've only seen one early review and the temps they got were not great (worse than stock). Linky-poo. I don't know this place, so I'm gonna wait for more review. They may not have had it fully seated.

Anyway, what do you folks think of my idea????

Mr.Dearthian
 
CastleBravo said:
Ha, that linked topic had like 1 bitch and 12 cheerleaders for the NV Silencer 5. :D

But that's only because the cheerleaders were all using BFG cards. If you have a BFG card the NV5 should work perfectly but watch out if you have something else.
 
makes sense that the zm80d-hp works better.... you ever see the size of those heat sinks? they would need to have insane rpm on that fan to even match that, my heat pipe with a case fan cooling my oc'd 5950 ultra to 50 C tops and the fan isnt really blowing that much air

modding the zm80d-hp to fit the 6800 gt is not that hard, if you need help i can have my friend visit this thread

but yes.. the zm80d-hp is a pain in the ass to install... took me a hour to install.. even when i have installed it before
 
Somebody over in the video card section got one of the new Zalman coolers and I'm waiting to hear back from about temps.

Mr.Dearthian
 
Back
Top