• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quiet Rack Cabinet?

A Good Quiet Cabinet?

  • XRackPro2

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • NetShelter CX Mini

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Claytek WQ-990

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other Quiet Cabinet (please explain)

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Quiet branded cabinets arent worth it

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    5

zikzak

n00b
Joined
Mar 2, 2011
Messages
15
I think I'm looking for a quiet sound dampening rack cabinet.
I live in an apartment, so I don't have a basement to hide it in.
I think I need something in the 12U range (give or take a few).

I don't actually know if noise is going to be an issue yet, as I don't have any rackmount equipment.
However it is my intention to build a couple 3U RAIDs so I can get rid of my desktop full of cheap external hard drives.
I also plan on a few other machines, but that's not the intention of this post, so I digress.

I hear that noise is sometimes an issue, so I figured I'd try to start with this in mind.
I don't plan to use any 1U equipment as I hear the small fans are horrible.
Perhaps I don't need to consider noise reduction in the cabinet if I am conscious when assembling the machine them selves?

At any rate, ever part of this investment seems expensive,
so I'm very interested in advice/feedback both in general,
and especially if folks have experience with particular products.

Here's the stuff I've found thus far.
Any input is welcome:

  1. Black XRackPro2 12U
  2. NetShelter CX Mini
  3. Claytek (iStarUSA) WQ-990

#2 needs an additional part to make it a rack.
#3 has a pretty nasty review on newegg.


Does anybody have any of these?
Is there something better?
Are "quiet" racks not worth it?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
 
If you're building the systems yourself, you can get quieter fans and power supplies just as you would with a desktop. While that will certainly add to the expense, it's not going to be nearly as much as it would be for one of these racks. OEM/pre-built servers will be entirely too loud to have in an apartment without modification (and even then, there are limits to what you can do to quiet them). Ditto for high-end networking gear if you are going to be going that route at any point. Beyond that, if the gear is still too loud after quiet fans/power supplies, you can build a rack from 2x4s and MDF lined with sound absorbing materials for a fraction of the price of one of these pre-built ones.

I would only buy a rack like that if it's necessary to have OEM gear with a support contract, where modifications are not really an option, and it has to be in a working/living area.
 
how about this,

DSCN0210.JPG


DSCN0211.JPG


DSCN0214.JPG


DSCN0222.JPG


Tripplite :0 love this rack.
 
I have setup 2 xracks. a 4u and a 6u. both work well. They keep things quiet, so you aren't always cognizant that there are servers running in an office.

I think you can get some 1u stuff, put it in a small xrack and be fine..

Or get small rack with sides and doors like the one posted above, and put sound dampening foam on the inside.. that, in addition to building your servers with quieter fans should do the trick.
 
Poor man's quiet rack: shove it all in a closet or spare bedroom. Next is stacking boxes around to block direct-path sound.
1U units can be quiet if they don't work hard, depending on the age. I have some PowerEdge 1700s that will drive you insane at the lowest fan speed, and some PowerEdge 860s that are fairly quiet under moderate load. I also have a 6U 2900III that is quite loud, even at idle.
When I've brought servers home to play, I usually push them under a couch- airflow is good and really cuts the noise. 2U will fit under most couches.
As for an actual 'quiet' rack- not much experience with any.
 
That's gotta be loud!

what's loud about it ?

that asus server is dead quiet, ask wrench00 he has it now.

The rack is quiet, right now its louder than usual because its warm in my room, but its not stupid loud just noticeable loud..

Now it looks like this,

DSCN0016.JPG


Except the Hp is off.
 
Or get some Dell R210 servers (I spy one in the picture above).. they are only 17 inches deep.. That's my plan for my office at work, we put a rack in a 21 inch deep closet..

Ya but u still need 18-19" for cable room and maybe some for air to move around too, and remember the 210 server is nice, u only get 2 non hot swap Hdds.
 
Back
Top