• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quiet PSU for Dual Xeon

davewolfs

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
338
Hey folks,

I'm putting together a dual Xeon E5-2670. Very little drives. A single 980ti, possibly more down the road.

I'd like the machine to be quiet so want to keep fans to a minimum if possible. I believe SuperMicro supports PMBus but I'm not sure what it does :)

Would you go with an 860 or 1000/1200 watt PSU?

Currently looking at Corsair AXi series and Seasonic. Might consider EVGA as well. Thoughts?
 
Would you go with an 860 or 1000/1200 watt PSU?

It depends.
If you stay with a single 980Ti, then a 750-850 watt psu is more than enough.
( 350watt max for an E5-2670 system without the gpu ( http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/03/06/intel-xeon-e5-2670-review/7 ) + 300watt max for the 980Ti ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Lightning/21.html )
If you intend to go for sli though, you should probably go for a 1000 watt psu.
If your primary concern is noise, then i would suggest you to lean towards Corsair RMi series.
Check the noise outputs for the RMi 750 / RMi 1000, and you will see that they are very low:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750i-power-supply,4223-9.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000i/10.html
 
I'd like the machine to be quiet so want to keep fans to a minimum if possible. I believe SuperMicro supports PMBus but I'm not sure what it does :)

PMBus is a variant of SMBus, it allows low level communication between various devices on the motherboard.
 
I went with a evga 850 in a very similar situation. No problems so far.
 
Im actually trying to do something very similar. When I run some of the PSU calculators Im getting results in the 650w to 750w range. Obviusly 850w would cover it but would a 650w gold psu be sufficient as well?
 
Im actually trying to do something very similar. When I run some of the PSU calculators Im getting results in the 650w to 750w range. Obviusly 850w would cover it but would a 650w gold psu be sufficient as well?

-Well, 1st of all it would be better if you have started your own thread.
-And secondly, you have to tell us what is your hardware.
( P.S. Probably a good 650watt could be enough, since most calculators are exaggerating a bit. )
 
The thing though too is you don't want to run your PSU too hot I don't think. Eg if you only hit 50-60% under max load your fans won't spin too much. Not sure if this logic is flawed or not ! :)
 
Back
Top