Quiet mod for mouse

Xee

[H]ard|Gawd
I share a room with my little brother and when he's trying to go to sleep while I'm on the computer the mouse-clicking drives him crazy so I end up just having to get off.

Anyone know if there are any ways to get rid of the "clicking" sound? Or is that something unmoddable? Right now, I usually just put a heavy shirt over my hand while I use it and it muffles it somewhat but also restricts movement.

Oh yeah, I have a MX-510.

The clicking is from the little push buttons inside the mouse. There's no way to silence them that i can think of...

Mod your little brother instead. I hear that cotton balls or earplugs work quite well. ;)

In all seriousness, the clicing is in the microswitches inside the mouse. I don't know of a way to quiet those down. I suppose you could buy one of the older Alps PS/2 touchpads though and use tapping to serve as clicks. It won't do for gaming, but it should be okay for everyday browsing.

LoneWolf said:
Mod your little brother instead. I hear that cotton balls or earplugs work quite well. ;)

In all seriousness, the clicing is in the microswitches inside the mouse. I don't know of a way to quiet those down. I suppose you could buy one of the older Alps PS/2 touchpads though and use tapping to serve as clicks. It won't do for gaming, but it should be okay for everyday browsing.

or tell him to GTFO.

"in all seriousness", modding ur bro is ur best bet

hmm i just thought of an idea. get some pillow stuffing from a local hobby shop or somewhere. make a cover around your whole hand but leaving finger holes. so its basically a pillow wrapped on your hands, it'll help drowned out the news.

or get him some ear buds and an mp3 player

Xee said:
I share a room with my little brother and when he's trying to go to sleep while I'm on the computer the mouse-clicking drives him crazy so I end up just having to get off.

Anyone know if there are any ways to get rid of the "clicking" sound? Or is that something unmoddable? Right now, I usually just put a heavy shirt over my hand while I use it and it muffles it somewhat but also restricts movement.

Yes. Have you heard of the pillow mod? Take your pillow and place it over your mouse. This muffles the sound considerably.

I hear there is a high performance version in the works for those that like to game late at night.

WaR-ped said:
Yes. Have you heard of the pillow mod? Take your pillow and place it over your mouse. This muffles the sound considerably.

I hear there is a high performance version in the works for those that like to game late at night.

thats what i said above and i've never even heard of this mod :)

Xee said:

Just get a fan in the room and turn that on. That's what I do to keep my gf from waking up. ;)

Xee said:

You could get one of those fuzzy mouse covers that look like actual mice. They're more of a novelty item though. Try popping open a used, broken, or cheap mouse. Test out different modifications of your own. Some things that come to my mind are cottonballs, rubber bands, soft felt. You might discover a way to silence mice =).

just look for a different style momentary switch most radio shacks stock them and chances are ull be able to find one that is quiet and that will fit the mouse.

what about something like this...if you are deathly serious about something like it

switch.JPG

or you could just buy touch pad or something similar

Back