Quiet IDE hard disks

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Messages
354
I'm looking to put a new hard disk in my tivo. I'm looking for approx 160gb. I have 2 Seagate SATA drives and a WD SATA. I find my 120 gb Seagates to be a little louder than my 250 gb WD.

Any thoughts on brands and models?
 
Hitachi's second to Samsung.
Even T7K250's set to fastest with FeatureSet only produce a low hum even under heavy access. If that's too loud, you can use FeatureSet to make 'em even quieter.
 
Finding a Samsung or Hitachi proved to be difficult in my area unless I wanted to buy an overpriced retail kit. I just need the the drive. I went with the WD.

Thanks for the help
 
xcgames said:
this mother cost more than 2 dollars per GB!

but being a notebook hard drive and having 160gb capacity... droooool
That's why I linked to it. ;) It's THE drive to have. :cool:
 
Interesting drive............
It is way more than I wanted to spend. This is Tivo unit. I can get new ones with 150+ hours (from weaknees.com, I know, shameless plug) for $300.

The drive is also not a 7200 rmp drive. A tivo unit does not really need 7200 rpms to run most of the time, but I'm impatient at times. My laptop drive I have now runs at 7200 rpms. I noticed a difference there.

I've picked up a 160gb WD drive for $81. I powered it up on my pc and ran some tests with only a boot cd. I had to put my ear 12 inches from it to hear it during the read write test. I'm guessing I will hear very little when I get it in the box.

The problem now seems to be my NF7-S v2 MB. The Weaknees MFS 2.0 copy tools hangs when trying to load linux. It also hangs on the Hinsdale version too. I read a post somewhere that there is an issue with nforce chipsets and the v2.4 of their linux distro. I have not been able to confirm yet.
 
ziscwg said:
Interesting drive............
It is way more than I wanted to spend. This is Tivo unit. I can get new ones with 150+ hours (from weaknees.com, I know, shameless plug) for $300.

The drive is also not a 7200 rmp drive. A tivo unit does not really need 7200 rpms to run most of the time, but I'm impatient at times. My laptop drive I have now runs at 7200 rpms. I noticed a difference there.

I've picked up a 160gb WD drive for $81. I powered it up on my pc and ran some tests with only a boot cd. I had to put my ear 12 inches from it to hear it during the read write test. I'm guessing I will hear very little when I get it in the box.

The problem now seems to be my NF7-S v2 MB. The Weaknees MFS 2.0 copy tools hangs when trying to load linux. It also hangs on the Hinsdale version too. I read a post somewhere that there is an issue with nforce chipsets and the v2.4 of their linux distro. I have not been able to confirm yet.

Just to close off the thread with a solution,
I resolved this by disabling the SATA controller in the bios. The Weaknees MFS 2.0 does not like it.
 
Back
Top