quiet file server

ripken204

[H]ard|Gawd
so i've had a fileserver for a while now, the only thing i dont like about it is how loud it is..

9x1.5TB drives
Q6700
4GB ram
Antec 300 case..
heatsink, XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
i think i have a 9500gt in there.

i currently have 3 fans in front, 1 of them i have turned off to try to keep the noise low.
i have one in the back exhaust and one on the heatsink.
one of them is an antec tricool set on low speed.
the rest are medium speed yate loons.

hdd temps are ~30C for the drives with fans on them and ~38C for the drives with the fan unplugged

cpu is ~18C
mobo is about 34C
it is winter here, so my room temp is pretty cool as it is.

anyways, i was wondering what i can do to quiet this thing down.
it currently sites about 15feet away in my closet, door open, and it is very noticeable.
MUCH louder than my desktop computer.

i dont mind spending money, possibly a new case.
something larger with breathing room, there is so little space in the case, a tiny antec 300, cables galore inside. new fans are also a possibility.
the yate loons are at least 3 years old and have been in use almost 24/7 over that period, that can definitely take a toll on them.

i dont think i will go as far as soundproofing until i have bought a new case.
for a new case it needs to have space for at least 8 hdds.
my 9th drive is for the OS. i havnt been able to find a case i like that doesnt cost a fortune.
any suggestions? it doesnt matter what format it is.

Your case is wide open. A quiet case like the p183 would be better, but placing all the hdd's is an issue. The biggest noise makers are the gpu fan then the psu then everything else. Identify the offenders and see what you can do make things quieter.

my closet door is open, case side panel is closed
i will take a closer listen to see what is loudest tomorrow

Biggest thing, close the closet door it will make a big difference. Invest in some quiet fans. All your temps are really good, in exchange for higher temps, you can go do slower fans or fewer of them.

I have a similar setup in a closet (E8400, onboard graphics, 9 HDs crammed in a modded CoolerMaster Elite 330). I use two Scythe Slipstreams (the SL 500rpm ones) across the hard drives and a Noctua for the case exhaust to keep that noise down plus the PSU fan. I treated the case with some sound deadening to cut down on the resonance that all those drives inevitably cause too (Much cheaper than a new case and makes a pretty big difference). With the closet open I can hear my system, but its not very noticeable, shut the door and I don't even know its in there. It does get warm in there, but never what I would consider dangerously so, maybe low 80s at worst.

the thing is, if i close the door, the heat builds up. i am not sure how high it would get, but i dont want to risk my hardware dying.
im wondering, do i need the gfx card in to boot up.. i think i do, but i never use the display.
i do have the desktop version of ubuntu installed on it tho and sometimes i do vnc into it.

apparently my mobo will boot without video card.
i just cant VNC into it anymore, which is ok, SSH works fine.
that made it a little quieter.

i also unplugged the front 3 fans.
so now i have the rear exhaust and cpu fan only.
definitely helps.

the fans definitely need replacing, i can definitely tell that they are not rotating evenly.
they are wobbling all over the place, making them louder.

i could but i have a great board in there now.
i dont need video so i am fine with it

my temps now are:
hdds: 34,34,41 (just a selection from 3 of them)
cpu: 19
mobo: 37

they are still very good, so i am happy until summer hits

You could get a server board with integrated VGA.

+1

Taking the video card out of my server and just using the integrated lowered temps by quite a bit. If you can just use SSH though OP, then maybe you'll be ok.

as ive said, i removed the vid card and it boots up fine.
i am very comfortable SSHing so not having VNC is a non issue for me.

Back