• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quiet and Quality 939 Cooling Unit?

ProfessorUtopia

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
178
Greetings!

I'm looking for a good CPU cooling unit for a 939 motherboard. It doesn't need to be the king of cooling, since it's only going to be used on an Athlon 3000+, which won't be greatly OCed. I just need something quiet and, of course, of good quality.

Any recommendations are appreciated, thanks!
 
I just picked up a Thermaltake Silent 939 K8 HSF at CompUSA because my Thermaltake Sonic Tower HS needs the CPU mount to have screw holes and my motherboard uses plastic clips instead, and I couldn't wait for the order of my CoolerMaster Hyper 6+ HSF for my setup. But I am so impressed with the Thermaltake Silent 939 K8...I will have to run some tests of my own to see which I hold onto.

I am also running a s939 3000+ Venice, and don't overclock.

They don't lie about that noise rating either. You have to have your ear next to it to hear it.

Really easy to install too, 20 seconds from time to opening the package to powering the rig up.

I will be posting pics in another thread of the Hyper 6+ when it gets to me too.

Some "real-world pics" of the Thermaltake Silent 939:
It isn't the usual TT gawdy looking either.
 
Get a Thermalright XP-120 and a low-speed panaflo fan, the reviews speak for themselves if you google it.
 
Thanks for the tips! ...I cant belive I overlooked a sticky :rolleyes: I feel like such a n00b.

Tiny, I can't seem to find that Thermaltake HSF anywhere. Well, except for one Japanese site, but that doesn't help me much. Is it a little odd that CompUSA would have it, but not a single online US retailer?.. Or did I overlook it some how?
 
Don't get Thermaltake for quiet, there are better choices out there. Do read the sticky, I recommend Arctic Cooling quite a bit.
 
Arctic Freezer64 for cheap and quiet, but not for oc'ing (until I strapped a 120mm fan on it) :D
 
ProfessorUtopia said:
Thanks for the tips! ...I cant belive I overlooked a sticky :rolleyes: I feel like such a n00b.

Tiny, I can't seem to find that Thermaltake HSF anywhere. Well, except for one Japanese site, but that doesn't help me much. Is it a little odd that CompUSA would have it, but not a single online US retailer?.. Or did I overlook it some how?

I didn't find it online either, I didn't even know about it until I went to CompUSA looking for a cheap-o 939 HSF as a stand-in until my Hyper 6+ gets here.

The nay-sayers of the Thermaltake are going off past expierence, when they used HSF's with mini jetengine-sounding fans on them. Not the case with the Silent 939, it is indeed that quiet.
 
Tiny said:
The nay-sayers of the Thermaltake are going off past expierence, when they used HSF's with mini jetengine-sounding fans on them. Not the case with the Silent 939, it is indeed that quiet.
Actually, the Venus 12 (with the adjustable 80x32mm fan) is quite loud even on minimal RPM, the heatsink fins being so densely packed creates a backfiring effect which produces more noise. Thermaltake's always had this ignorance for backpressure, I don't get it.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Actually, the Venus 12 (with the adjustable 80x32mm fan) is quite loud even on minimal RPM, the heatsink fins being so densely packed creates a backfiring effect which produces more noise. Thermaltake's always had this ignorance for backpressure, I don't get it.

Ack! I forgot about that one.

But the Silent 939 is truely silent, I just can't get over it. lol
 
Back
Top