• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Quiet 5770 or 5850?

1_legged_sheep

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
397
Anyone know of a quiet 5770 or 5850?

I'm running a HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 right now and it just can't handle the heat from my SG05 case. The temps get over 75C during heavy gaming and then the fan kicks up and is very audible.

I was thinking about the HIS IceQ 5 H577QT1GD Radeon HD 5770 Turbo. It has the double slot cooler that vents the hot air out the back and the limited reviews say it's pretty quiet. Does anyone have one? Is it pretty quiet?

I'd like to make the jump to 5850 but I know of no 5850 cards that will fit and run half way quiet. The GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 fits great but I've heard several people say it's fairly noisy, plus I'd prefer a 5850 that vents heat out the back.

I could swap heatsinks but I have a friend willing to buy my current 5770 for $140 so I think I'd rather just go with a new card that has a good after market heatsink already installed. Water is out of the question in my tiny case.

Thanks!
 
get a reference 5850 it vents the air out of the case... as for the loudness of the card... well its about roughly the same as your 5770 i mean if all you do is game it shouldnt matter
 
the 5770 reference has 2 different versions of the cooler

the one you have is the egg cooler, where temps on the GPU are (supposedly) better than the other cooler, but all the heat stays in the case

the other one is the batman/batmobile cooler, where the entire GPU is covered in a black shroud...
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQ8gIwAw#

apparently the bat cooler outputs all the air out the back vent ... so this might be what you should look for...
 
hmm reference hd 5850 from my personal esperience is as quiet as a card gets. Ofcourse one could call it loud by ramping up the fan speed but if you are running at stock clocks and even with overclock you don't need to mess with the fan speed on those cards, they are fairly quiet and don't run that hot. Well atleast when you compare current generation of cards.
 
My MSI 5770 HAWK never makes a peep, even overclocked and running furmark. In games, even using a sound meter its lower than the fans in my PC, even if i set my fans to low.
 
the 5770 reference has 2 different versions of the cooler

the one you have is the egg cooler, where temps on the GPU are (supposedly) better than the other cooler, but all the heat stays in the case

the other one is the batman/batmobile cooler, where the entire GPU is covered in a black shroud...
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CDEQ8gIwAw#

apparently the bat cooler outputs all the air out the back vent ... so this might be what you should look for...

The second revision of the 5770 features a quieter fan ("egg" style heatsink) than the back-exhausting first revision. Anandtech did a nice comparison between the two.
 
Thanks all! Think I'm going to go with a batmobile style reference card and see if that helps. If it's a 5770 or a 5850 depends on how much of a fit the wife pitches when I tell her I need to drop $170 on a new vid card. :) Also not sure if they make a batmobile style 5850 with the 6-pins on the top of the card.
 
Thanks all! Think I'm going to go with a batmobile style reference card and see if that helps. If it's a 5770 or a 5850 depends on how much of a fit the wife pitches when I tell her I need to drop $170 on a new vid card. :) Also not sure if they make a batmobile style 5850 with the 6-pins on the top of the card.
You'll still have enough room (barely) with the power connectors in the front (as long as your SG05 is pretty standard in the front). The 5850 shroud cooler is damn quiet during operation, I think it'd be the best way to go here.
 
Back
Top