Quiet 120mm fans for external 360 rad

BeavermanA

2[H]4U
Would like to know your opinions on what 120mm fans would be best for an external 360 rad these days. Noise level is the primary concern, but of course they need some decent cfm as well.
Would prefer them to be black and be 38mm as well.

38mm fans and quite don't appear in the same sentence too often.
Scythe gentle typhoons are quite and work good on a radiator.
Yate loon d12sm-12 and d12sl-12 are quiet and work well too.
What radiator are you using?

I love my Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E fans. They're the only case fans I've used for the past few years. I have three running in my Antec Nine Hundred Two, plus one on the heatsink, and I barely hear them. My hard drives are louder. They're connected to a fan controller, and run at 7v unless I'm gaming.

Probably use another Swiftech MCR320. Right now I'm using one mcr320 with three 120x38 Scythe Ultra Kaze 1000rpm fans pushing which are quiet, hooked up to a MCP350 with my E6600 @ 1.42v and HD5870. Have run games/benches with the 5870 @ 1.35v at 1070/1290 and the gpu temp maxes out at 48c.

If I went 25mm might do push+pull on the rad. This new rad is going to be a separate loop, going to just the gfx card or cards when I get another, and the existing loop to the cpu+northbridge on a X58 board when I get one and an i7 920/930.

Doesn't hurt to get the 2nd loop up and running now though.

Are you opposed to using a fan controller?

If so, go with low speed Yate Loons.

If not, go with high speed Yate Loons.

Or if you prefer to spend $20/fan, go with GT's.

The S-Flex SFF21E are looking the best so far. Even the low speed Yates are quite a but louder at 28dB versus the 20 of the S-Flex. The Gentle Typhoons are more expensive than the S-Flex, less CFM and higher noise which makes no sense unless fan specs are as skewed as LCD's specs. Are these at the max power when just plugging them into a molex or are they getting these specs by using them at a lower speed than advertised?

Yes, I have 3x S-Flexes (1200 RPM SFF21E) and they are the quietest fans I have. Also have Ultra Kazes-2000 (these suck ass, worst sound quality), Slipstreams (louder than my S-Flexes), and have 2x Gentle Typhoons on the way.

On that radiator low speed fans work great. I have 5 of the Yate Loon medium speed fans on two loops and they hardly make a sound.

Back