Quicky PSU Amp question

Doubl3KiLL

2[H]4U
Hey. Well, I need to get myself a new PSU and I heard alot about amperage being very important, especially if your overclocking. Well, Im going to be doing a LOT of overclocking, so I was wondering if you guys can tell me if this is all well and good for a PSU:

Output: +3.3V@30A;+5V@38A;[email protected];+12V@22A;[email protected];+5VSB@2A

Thanks

Originally posted by Ben-mod
what model are you looking at?

Why does the model matter? I just want to know if the Amps/Voltages are good. But if you must know its a TRUE480

Originally posted by Doubl3KiLL
Why does the model matter? I just want to know if the Amps/Voltages are good. But if you must know its a TRUE480

Because if they know the model they can give you an opinion based on what they've heard from review sites as apposed to facts and numbers.

Why does the model matter? I just want to know if the Amps/Voltages

Some companies tell the truth with their numbers (Antec), but others don't (Deer, Powmax). Look at how these 250-400W PSUs did in an old Anandtech test. See how some 250-300W Antecs did really well, while a couple of Leadman/Raidmax/Powmax 400W PSUs failed.

You really don't have to worroy about the amperage on the 3.3v and 5v rails anymore. The one you need to really pay attention to is the 12v rail. Few things ever ran off the 12v rail in older setups and some PSU companies have not cought up yet and still don't have much to offer in the way of 12v amperage. 22A on your 12v rail should be fine. I just got a new PSU and it has 26A on the 12v rail.

You really don't have to worroy about the amperage on the 3.3v and 5v rails anymore. The one you need to really pay attention to is the 12v rail.

Unless your mobo doesn't have that square 4-pin power connector, like the ECS K7VTA3 I bought last week.

Originally posted by jpnelson83
You really don't have to worroy about the amperage on the 3.3v and 5v rails anymore. The one you need to really pay attention to is the 12v rail. Few things ever ran off the 12v rail in older setups and some PSU companies have not cought up yet and still don't have much to offer in the way of 12v amperage. 22A on your 12v rail should be fine. I just got a new PSU and it has 26A on the 12v rail.

unless you're running AMD.

The 400W "regular" Antec in my last rig got pwned by a GF2MX200 pci. The bios started beeping at me and flashing warnings on the screen when I started up. Of course I already had 5 other cards (including an AGP card), dual p3s, and a few scsi HDs in the thing... So I got a 550W TruePower.

You might be able to roast that w/ duallies and enough cards & drives... what's in/going in the rig that'll be running off this PSU?

Originally posted by larrymoencurly
You really don't have to worroy about the amperage on the 3.3v and 5v rails anymore. The one you need to really pay attention to is the 12v rail.

Unless your mobo doesn't have that square 4-pin power connector, like the ECS K7VTA3 I bought last week.

Uhh. No.

This just means the 12v power is being pulled across the board to the processor instead of from the 4 pin plug in to the processor.

Its not going to be powering anything really bad ass. Its going to be powering a MSI K7T Turbo2, a GeForce 3 Ti 500, 512Mb of PC-133 RAM, SB Live 5.1 DD, Maxtor 80/7200/8mb, CD-ROM, CD-RW, 6 80mm fans, and it needs to keep a DLT3C 1700+ up at 2.5 Ghz

Uhh. No.

This just means the 12v power is being pulled across the board to the processor instead of from the 4 pin plug in to the processor.
I measured the MOSFETs that feed the 1.5V to the CPU, and the highest voltage on them was 5V, just as with my K7S5A.

Back