Quickest way to re-enable Aero?

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I have windows shutting off aero on a fairly regular basis. It's usually when I'm doing something like watching a youtube video on my secondary monitor that is powered by the intel integrated video... A quirk of running GPUs from different companies at the same time I guess.

Whatever the cause, it almost always happens when i'm doing something trivial (like watching a youtube video) and of course it doesn't switch back automatically.

I can right-click on the desktop, select "personalize", and click on one of the Aero themes, but that also resets my desktop wallpaper, etc to the default Aero theme. Running the hardware assessment also enables Aero at the end but I have to wait for it to complete...

Is there an option anywhere where I can specifically toggle Aero on or off without adjusting anything else at the same time (like changing my entire theme)?

I have windows shutting off aero on a fairly regular basis. It's usually when I'm doing something like watching a youtube video on my secondary monitor that is powered by the intel integrated video... A quirk of running GPUs from different companies at the same time I guess.
It shouldn't be unless the second card's driver is woefully out of date. Heterogeneous should work without issue. If it doesn't, check for driver updates

Whatever the cause, it almost always happens when i'm doing something trivial (like watching a youtube video) and of course it doesn't switch back automatically.

I can right-click on the desktop, select "personalize", and click on one of the Aero themes, but that also resets my desktop wallpaper, etc to the default Aero theme. Running the hardware assessment also enables Aero at the end but I have to wait for it to complete...

Is there an option anywhere where I can specifically toggle Aero on or off without adjusting anything else at the same time (like changing my entire theme)?

Try this:
net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

I think the easiest way is to go into 'Customization' on the right click menu, then just click 'Aero' under themes. It will reset your wallpaper though.

Is there a way to tell Windows to always leave Aero running and stop popping me out of games to tell me my system appears to be running slow and I should consider turning off Aero (which started happening after I put my GTX 680 in). I would really like to override it and tell it to leave Aero running and stop asking me.

Is there a way to tell Windows to always leave Aero running and stop popping me out of games to tell me my system appears to be running slow and I should consider turning off Aero (which started happening after I put my GTX 680 in). I would really like to override it and tell it to leave Aero running and stop asking me.

This should be a separate thread, but...

Are all drivers and BIOS up to date?
Do you have memory remap enabled in your BIOS?
Do you have wallpaper slideshow on?
You may actually be running low on system resources. What are your overall specs?
What game are you running?

I believe you can disable your notification area settings and that should suppress this message.

Back