Quick Windows Security Question

N

NecessaryEvil

Need to disable the guest account in such a way that the user than use programs, but cannot install new ones.

this account is being used for the youngest daughter of a family; she is responsible for 31 virii on the PC....and they want her to not be able to install anything else.

suggestions?

XP Pro is in use.

Go to the user account section, and make a new account, choose a limited account versus an admin account. That should be what you want. Its my understanding that under WinXP that you need administrator privileges to install programs, but you need limited access or higher to use them.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by lorcani
Go to the user account section, and make a new account, choose a limited account versus an admin account. That should be what you want. Its my understanding that under WinXP that you need administrator privileges to install programs, but you need limited access or higher to use them.

Hope this helps.

I don't know how much this is going to help. I'd suggest getting a service that will run with one specific account on the computer, like DeepFreeze, or something similar (Fortress, although that program is VERY limiting). YOu might be able to get it so that DeepFreeze or whatever program only loads with one user account, which would be a limited account. This will 'Freeze' the HDD whenever that account is in use. So, when the computer reboots, that account and all of the data on the hard drive is reset. I haven't used DeepFreeze from an Admin standpoint before, but I think there is an option for it to do that.

Back