Quick - Which CPU to buy?

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by mazeroth, Jan 19, 2019.

1. mazeroth

mazeroth Limp Gawd

I'm heading to Micro Center in about 30 minutes and can not make up my mind. I'm selling my family room PC's 2500k with motherboard and 8GB DDR3 (should fetch $100+), and want to upgrade it as cheaply as possible. My local MC has the R5 1600's brand new for $99. However, they also have one 1700X Open Box for $119. I will be reusing my Corsair H50, so the cooler doesn't matter. If the 1700X was brand new for that price, no-brainer.

They also have a $90 Gigabyte GA-AB350 motherboard, open box, for $45 without the I/O shield. I'll be using the $5 off coupon as well, so total would be:

1600 new with MB: $140
    1700X open box with MB: $160

I will be doing mainly web browsing, very light amount of h.264 encoding, and light gaming with a 1060 3GB.

I will definitely be overclocking. I usually will find out where the max overclock is on a chip, and drop it back 100-200 mhz for long-term use and less heat.

Thanks!

2. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

For 20bucks i wold go with those extra 33% cores

3. MrC4

MrC4 [H]ard|Gawd

Both CPUs top out around 3.9, so it is a wash for overclocking. The 1700x seems to be overkill for your usage goals, but for $20 extra I would pick it up as it will probably have better longevity and resell value down the road.

4. horrorshow

horrorshow [H]ardness Supreme

1700X, no question.

Hope you chose wisely (y)

DooKey likes this.
  5. mazeroth

mazeroth Limp Gawd

I went to online order pickup and a manager greeted me there. I gave him my name, and he went back and got the 1700X and motherboard for me. The motherboard was in a plain white box with a bunch of yellow clearance stickers on it. Inside was only the motherboard. I was a little hesitant to purchase it, seeing how it wasn't in its normal box and without any accessories, and he could tell. He then asks me, "How about I give you the motherboard for a penny?" I got a shocked look on my face, and was like, uuuuhhhhhh....yeah, I'll take it! I had a $5 off coupon in my hand that he saw, and I felt bad even using it, but he didn't mind at all. So, total for an open box 1700X and Gigabyte B350 board: $114.97! I got it home, threw it into a spare case and hooked up a new Wraith Stealth cooler to see if it worked. It booted right up, and I've been stress testing it for the last few hours without a hiccup.

I can't believe the deal I got, but I'm going to chalk it up to karma. I really do a lot of good for people, because that's just my nature. It feels good to get a little bit of love back, once in a while.

1700X.jpg

leadays, noko, Neapolitan6th and 10 others like this.
  6. pooloffire

pooloffire n00b

Man that is a great deal! Super lucky you.

7. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

Stop buying lottery tickets. You've used up a lifetime's luck right there.

8. nerdtgd

nerdtgd n00b

Great purchase mate. Hope you have a great time.

9. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Great deal. You were lucky with the MB. I had bad luck with MC open box MB. The ones I checked out had damaged pins and no accessories. One had loose MB standoffs inside the antistatic bag. Glad I looked over them before buying. Thermal grease all in the socket too.

10. TheFlayedMan

TheFlayedMan Limp Gawd

They give away motherboards in the US? Damn I need to move.

11. Tonyklem

Tonyklem n00b

That's awesome, congrats on the find! I was going to recommend the 1700x as well. More and more applications are using more than 4 cores these days.