Quick WAMP question

maw

Supreme [H]ardness
does anyone know if its possible to install WAMP on a server that already has MySQL installed? Will WAMP install its own instance of MySQL, or will it auto-detect that its already installed, or will it overwrite the existing one?

back up the db's on the current install and give it a shot.

yeah i already did that. what i'm afraid of is that WAMP might get confused with the exisiting MySQL database and install things like errant services or introduce unexplained bugs or behavior.

i think i'll just backup the DB, then totally uninstall MySQL before installing WAMP.

Why not just install the missing components (PHP,Apache) or uninstall the existing instance of MySQL and let WAMP take care of it. You may also want to give XAMPP a shot. I like it better than WAMP.

yeah i already did that. what i'm afraid of is that WAMP might get confused with the exisiting MySQL database and install things like errant services or introduce unexplained bugs or behavior.

i think i'll just backup the DB, then totally uninstall MySQL before installing WAMP.

That is your best bet.

Export:
prompt> mysqldump --opt --all-databases --user=root > c:\db_backups\myfile.sql

Import:
prompt> mysql --user root < myfile.sql

I would recommend downloading each package individually if you are familiar with setting it up; Even if you aren't, it doesn't take too long to figure it out and it's a great learning experience.

I ended up just doing everything manually. I figured I needed a quick refresher on installing Apache/PHP anyway since the last time I had to configure one was a year and a half ago.

I did install WAMP on my dev PC though. It was so easy it felt like cheating.. :)

I ended up just doing everything manually. I figured I needed a quick refresher on installing Apache/PHP anyway since the last time I had to configure one was a year and a half ago.

I did install WAMP on my dev PC though. It was so easy it felt like cheating.. :)

I had to go that route when Vista was first released .... I still feel ashamed. Manual install FTW! :D

Back