Quick update on 30 days with Mac

Brian Boyko

[H] Consumer Editor
Hey - this is Brian Boyko, the guy who did "30 Days with MacOSX"

First off, Kyle and the crew aren't promoting this posting, haven't even told them about it so I want to disavow any intentions that this has the editorial endorsement of the site. It doesn't.

But I figured I'd give you a quick update.

I still stand by my article - I still think Apple's offerings aren't a good choice for power users like the typical person who reads HardOCP. That's who I was writing the article for - and I got dinged mightily by people who disagreed with me.

But since then, I've had to do more and more multimedia for work - and for personal projects. In fact, I'm making a feature-length movie in high definition - and I'm doing so on a shoestring budget. I thought that I could edit it on Windows using Premiere Pro CS3. But rendering took forever.

A friend suggested that Macs render quicker. I was dubious, and I took my camera to an Apple Store to capture and render some HD video. With similar specs as the computer I was using for Premiere, same video, same camera, there was a MARKED speed and quality difference in the end-product when using the Macintosh to render. I'd have to guess that around an 800% time reduction, judging from my test footage. I was rendering HD footage on the Mac faster than I was rendering the same footage captured on SD on a very similar Windows-based PC.

Long story short, after panning the OS in my 30 days evaluation, six months later I find myself dropping $2800 on a MacBook Pro. The clincher was the video editing - I simply cannot wait 5 days for a movie to render when it can be done in 12 hours.

I'll be putting Whakataruna (with significant upgrades!) up for sale shortly in the "For Sale" section, by the way. I love this computer. But unfortunately my needs changed from general power use to multimedia. That's why.

Figured I'd let you know.

I think you would have had much better rendering time with a high end C2D chip instead of that AMD chip... imho

But cool none the less macbook pros are pretty sweet.

Yeah, if your PC system uses AMD don't render with it. My laptop can rip/encode DVDs faster than my desktop (C2D 2.0 laptop 4200rpm drive versus 4400X2 10K drive)

I haven't tried my iMac - but I think I will as I have been told that handbrake is easy enough for dummies like me

Yeah, if your PC system uses AMD don't render with it. My laptop can rip/encode DVDs faster than my desktop (C2D 2.0 laptop 4200rpm drive versus 4400X2 10K drive)

I haven't tried my iMac - but I think I will as I have been told that handbrake is easy enough for dummies like me

How about this: I've got a 12" Powerbook 1.5GHz G4 that renders/encodes faster than my Athlon X2 4200+ system with a 10k rpm Raptor.

Can't wait to get my 15" Macbook Pro with a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo.

Back